Wtaps S/S 08

Sayword

hit and miss is an understatement.

i went through the catalog ...

there is some really really brilliant shit in there.

but some of it i just don't like.

real quick ...

the zipper thing.

yeah i can't do it.

on the vest or the m65 ... yeah maybe ... they sort of overcome the zipper madness.

but the pants ?

please. fuck. that. shit.

example. the shorts with the zipper outline around the ass that doesn't actually have a pull (from what i can gather) ... or do anything really ... not a good look. the cargos have zippers on the back of the leg that don't do shit. not a fan.

there's a lot of brilliant shit in there though.

return of the alice bag ... the smedley sweater ... the blank tees ... some of the hats ... some of the flannels ... even the wing embellishment keychains ... a lot of other things ...

i forget what else.

all awesome though.

oh yeah ... i found scans of the catalog as well ...

i'll post them up later today so you folks can make up your own minds.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah those are the scans i found too.

i don't have a scanner so unfortunately i can't scan up my catalog ...

so there's a lack of descriptions.

i ripped them off of dude's site and threw them on my flickr.

i don't know how to post the flickr set on superfuture though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wontondestruction/

if anyone wants to just take those pictures and put em on here that'd be fine ... i just don't have time to do it ... midterms and such.

I didn't mean it in a derogatory manner; I know the history of Union and all that. I meant it literally as "when do they get their stock" and if there a pattern to it. I go to Union very rarely because it's so hit or miss.

i think they get a handful of big shipments spread across each season but don't necessarily put everything out at the same time. i'm not sure how much input they get re: what they're sent either (and for sure they don't get everything). if there's anything specific you're looking for i would try to find out if it's come out in japan and then ask the manager at union about it afterwards.

nice catalog scans btw, where there prices listed as well?

Im really digging the pieces esp the vest.. they still have the "WTAPS" tshirt in white in Union NY if anyone cares

The leopard print shorts is a bit too much for me though imo

na, you love leopard shorts jkiss

After checking out the catalog I have to agree that the zippers are overdone on a lot of the bottoms. Definetly gives off that Raverpants vibe which I want to stay far away from and seems kind of antithetical to the whole functional BDU vibe. I see on one pair of pants they serve to open them up as vents for when it's hot, but stuff like the big circular cut out around the ass of the shorts is kind of :confused:

Love most of it; will probably seek out the M-65,vest, and that Jesus T shirt.

After checking out the catalog I have to agree that the zippers are overdone on a lot of the bottoms. Definetly gives off that Raverpants vibe which I want to stay far away from and seems kind of antithetical to the whole functional BDU vibe. I see on one pair of pants they serve to open them up as vents for when it's hot, but stuff like the big circular cut out around the ass of the shorts is kind of :confused:

yeah they ruined the jungles this season. Just wanted a pair of basic tiger jungles and they got this bondage zips shit all on the back of the legs. gay.

they left the prices out of the catalog.

if i remember right ... the prices are still following their trend of going up.

I got a price list in the back of my catalog. Jungles are up from 24,000 to 29,000 this season.

Only item I`ll get is the Extreme Prejudice/Desert Storm SEAL team mesh cap.

yeah I know!

but this years are with Porter aswell.

What?! Lame. Where's the ballistic cordura?

Right about the detailing, the zips look too much, too gay.

NHBD seems so much more consistent in terms of style/direction, Wtaps is now looking like nhbd alternative, for gays..* the basics are nice though.

*little harsh maybe?

Thanks Milspex.

...at the same time this collection seems to have too many "fashion" extras in the details....what happened to "placing things where they should be"?

Could it be possible that all the extra zips etc are functional in some way?

I don't know much about the brand but that would be in keeping with what they are about, right?

i always thought of w)taps as the more adventurous brand compared with neighborhood.

they take greater risks with the line ... and aim at bringing more innovative looks to the table ... so its no wonder that people either love certain pieces ... or don't.

it's weird that some of you folks have this "conservative" view of what w)taps should be ... that take goes against one of the main reasons i like w)taps in the first place. it's totally contrary to what they do.

i always thought of w)taps as the more adventurous brand compared with neighborhood.

they take greater risks with the line ... and aim at bringing more innovative looks to the table ... so its no wonder that people either love certain pieces ... or don't.

it's weird that some of you folks have this "conservative" view of what w)taps should be ... that take goes against one of the main reasons i like w)taps in the first place. it's totally contrary to what they do.

I come at it from a nostalgic perspective. To me WTAPS will always be the A/W 2001 season, when I really got into the brand seriously. That was so classic, every piece was perfect imo. Now the sizing and styling is often fucked up. The last few seasons have been preppy based. I hate that. Preppys suck. How the fuck can WTAPS base their line on preppy fashion when a few years before they did a JFA (You`re a Preppy, Pre-ppy, you`re so fucking lame, you all look the same) line?? Now they`re going back to a lotta camo and shit but its this kinda gay vagrant motorcycle gang theme with tons of zippers and shit..whatever, I`ll just keep buying the old shit off Y!jp...Old WTAPS never dies..

I come at it from a nostalgic perspective. To me WTAPS will always be the A/W 2001 season, when I really got into the brand seriously. That was so classic, every piece was perfect imo. Now the sizing and styling is often fucked up. The last few seasons have been preppy based. I hate that. Preppys suck. How the fuck can WTAPS base their line on preppy fashion when a few years before they did a JFA (You`re a Preppy, Pre-ppy, you`re so fucking lame, you all look the same) line?? Now they`re going back to a lotta camo and shit but its this kinda gay vagrant motorcycle gang theme with tons of zippers and shit..whatever, I`ll just keep buying the old shit off Y!jp...Old WTAPS never dies..

i hear what you're saying ... you're not alone. i run into people here and there who have the same take on w)taps ... granted maybe not as particular but in the same direction. i get the conservative bit ... a lot of times when i see staple pieces like a hellweek go from this to that ... it becomes very yes and no. it depends.

... and i appreciate old w)taps ... one of the things i've always liked about them is the fact that a lot of their pieces yield a lasting quality to them ... (you know that whole bit about it "becoming a part of you gear" thing) ... i sprinkle old pieces here and there once in a while ... but i don't dress like it's 2001. i keep the shit i love from before ... but i still move forward.

and honestly ... if you compare what they made back then to what they make now ... i'd argue that shit is on a higher level of quality then it was then as a whole. the cut thing is personal ... whatever suits you.

... as far as the preppy thing ... i see it as being subversive (that's punk to a degree yeah ?) ... and fuck ... i went to a prep school and listened the clash. so that's just some shit i can do.

and yeah ... like i said before ... i don't endorse the zipper bit as much ...

the uggs look good here

1201547547.jpg

are Uggs ever justifiable? Takizawa was wearing them for his Hoods opening in HK and it just looked weird. Perhaps slightly swayed but associated people that wear Uggs in North America.