Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

CiA78,

I hope the 500OG work well for you, as they have for Max.  I didn't order the 500, as I have too many pairs of jeans already, including the 710OG.  I went with the 71OG over the 500OG for two reasons -- I heard about it first ;-)  and, second, it has a marginally higher rise (a negligible difference from what I now understand).  I think you'll be happy -- the OG denim is fantastic, as is the workmanship.

John

Guys, especially Tillmann, I'd love you I get your thoughts on a pair of samurai. Was in take5 taipei and managed to come across a s0500 in a lot 10 sz 28, lot 12 sz30. Both can't fit me but then I came across the s5000 in a sz28 lot 12. The problem is that I cant decide whether to get the lot 12 s5000 with the old arcs or continue my search for a s0500 with the old arcs as I already have 3 pairs of s5000 in 24,25 oz and the bkb. Im not sure how easy it is to find a pair of older lot in brand new though. And just wondering a lot 12 should be circa 2011 or so? If so, how is the fabric in the s5000?

Quick thoughts guys??? Cheers

Does anyone know if Samurai has ever made the 5000 cut in 19oz denim ? I wish I would have jumped on those 500 19 oz a while back.....,

The older I get the wider my thighs get it seems. I've went from SEXI14's to 710's to now needing a cut similar to the 5000. All in the past two years. I guess it's time to get my grown man on haha.

So I got the S0553OG I previously asked about... (in a 44)

What's everyone's opinion on tapering the sleeves of a jacket like this? I think the fit is good (I could possibly go down to a 42, but the shoulders would be pretty tight), but I think the sleeves are wider and have bigger openings than I'm used to seeing on my shirts, and even compared to some other denim jackets.

How difficult would it be for a tailor to do this, and do you guys think it would ruin the jacket if I did? I can't decide if it's worth it.

Thanks man, the input is appreciated. It's once-washed already, but it seems like I may get some more shrinkage through a second wash? Still not sure if I should try sizing down.

On a side note, something that never really occurred to me — Do Type II or I jackets have different cuts? I assumed they were kind of all the same other than aesthetic detail.

Yeah the arms look a bit wide but as the other said, it will get better. Although all Samurai jackets come wone-wash there is usually still a bit of shrinkage left in the fabric. Dunno if sizing down would be the way to go since the fit on your body looks good.

And yes, Type I, II and III have all differents fits.

Give it some time and see how it fits after it starts to take some form. The arms on my s552 are quite big, but after letting it settle it fits perfectly now.

Edit;maybe that jacket is not for you. As max said it could use a size up in places, and down in others. But I'm not sure if you would be happy with a II or a I though as they're quite boxy, and the type II (not sure about I , no experience) is quite large around the shoulders and doesn't taper down like a type III.

Edited by bradl

How tall are you and what is your chest size?

I have the non-OG version of the 0553x in a size 42 and it is too small, though i still continue to wear it. I am 6' 185 witha chest slightly less than 42. The size 42 measures almost exactly 21" p2p across the chest. I can't comfortably button up the top 2 buttons or the bottom button (I don't even have a gut) and the shoulders are also an issue. The sleeves are OK though.

I would not recommend sizing down. If the sleeves are your only concern they will conform to your arms as you wear it and will look less baggy.

I'm 6'2" 185 lbs., just measured my chest at 41".

I also compared this to a denim Iron Heart Shirt I have that fits me really well, and it's the same in the chest and a bit wider in the shoulders than that one. Also, the base of the arm right at the body of the jacket measures the same (9.5") on both the jacket and shirt, but the difference is that the shirt tapers down to just over 4" at the sleeve opening and the jacket stays pretty wide at about 5" at the opening. I know it's supposed to be a bit wider, but an extra inch is kind of a lot of material visually.

Quoise1203, did the jacket stretch much for you in the chest and shoulders?

MrWest I think that jacket looks pretty good. Seems like if you sized down the sleeves would be too short and waist would be too tight. I wouldn't waste money trying to alter it. The sleeves will look fine once you break it in and get some creases. Or is it just the large cuff opening that is bothering you?... I guess you could add a button on the cuff so that the cuff is tighter? But again, why waste money altering it? Just get a different jacket if you don't like the fit.

I finally got my 710OG's hemmed and I'm going to start wearing them now that it's below 90 degrees.

These feel great now that they're the right length, no more thick and bulky cuffs.

I'll try to snap a fit pic at work today!

I've been wearing my 710OG's for around 2 weeks and they are softening nicely with absolutely zero signs of wear. I think that this might be my first pair of stubborn Sammies.

Really? Mine seem to be the opposite. I only got 3 weeks of wear into them before my contest PBJs showed up but they were already starting to show some really nice signs of wear. But that might end up being because I probably wear mine a fair bit tighter. I have some time this afternoon. Maybe I'll take a couple pictures.

Mine are also stubborn. Just talked to b_f about that today and promised to take pics. They're 5-6 weeks old and show not as much signs of wearas other jeans I had.Don't get me wrong, I really like them, but I think they will fade different from the usual Samurai pattern, at least compared to the 17 and 19 oz. I think the 21 oz felt similar in the beginning.

uXGjWiK.jpg
nzNzMyv.jpg
LyN5SDo.jpg

Edited by Max Power