Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

Talking about old stuff that can be found at yahoo.jp...

Samurai S0111XJ

10dc70b4534f259fd4064632961cf05c_zps54d7

e1a1fc60fbe4f46b5190184f14ba70fd_zps7e52

8b5599e63b87775a215bec44203894f9_zps136d

4ef57128bb5c0c4e72414996d36a104d_zps2135

1d946142efb0f11c7701f3a996850f72_zps3440

8d6f9c0296cc31271e73721363474d71_zpsf18d

d3c85e9338c55feb6a42ede7a2ad2a97_zpsdbce

Put it through a wash a few days ago - in a pretty good shape!

Kind of odd to have the plastic buttons on a denim jacket? Wonder what the reasoning was for that.

@bradl

Tag 36 one wash (pirates)

W 90cm

Fr 29

Br 39

Th 33.5

In 91

Lo 22.5

I would have bought the 35 but the waist was virtually the same plus I need a longer back rise. It's weird how a cm can make that difference. If you saw me in person you would think I was a true 32 but I have "athletic" legs, lol. Think Jean Claude van damme. Size wise though, I think it's more of a 35 top block with 36 legs. I'm usually a 34 but I plan to wash and tumble dry regularly.

Fit pics when I get the chance

Kind of odd to have the plastic buttons on a denim jacket? Wonder what the reasoning was for that.

The original Lee jackets had bakelite buttons IIRC, and now plastic is used because bakelite isn't the most sturdy of materials. I just googled those back buttons because I couldn't remember the exact reasoning and found this:

The reason Lee put plastic buttons on the waist adjustment band was to prevent ripping and tearing of the linings of jackets worn over the denim jacket (back then thought of more as a heavy shirt than a jacket).

So that's why those aren't metal like the front buttons.

@bradl

Tag 36 one wash (pirates)

W 90cm

Fr 29

Br 39

Th 33.5

In 91

Lo 22.5

I would have bought the 35 but the waist was virtually the same plus I need a longer back rise. It's weird how a cm can make that difference. If you saw me in person you would think I was a true 32 but I have "athletic" legs, lol. Think Jean Claude van damme. Size wise though, I think it's more of a 35 top block with 36 legs. I'm usually a 34 but I plan to wash and tumble dry regularly.

Fit pics when I get the chance

Did you wash/soak them again even though they came as one washed? What's the consensus on this? 

I ended up hot washing my Samurai Denim jacket twice and I think it's a one washed because it didn't even shrink.

Edited by Chubacca

After seeing Roberts impressive efforts & results after one day , I humped off in a fit of jealousy to check mine...

710's (6ish weeks) are absolutely refusing to show any signs of actually having been worn. I could hardly claim to have been battering them, but to be fair they have had a ten mile cycle, a 5 mile hike and nearly every day wear. These are gonna fight back I can see...

5000vx 21oz (2ish weeks) have had a pretty soft time of it, but on closer inspection:

S62Eyan.png

My first ever consciously aware raw denim fade. Ok, so its little more than a crease on the left knee but I don't care - to me it counts! 

Edited by Artisandenim

@chubacca

I was going to wash them again but I didn't think it was necessary. Plus I was anxious to wear them. Like I said in previous post everything fits exactly how I wanted it except the length. I plan on stretching the living hell out of em on my days off. Hopefully it'll be 80 degrees out here in SF this weekend. I honestly can't wait to wash. I plan on machine washes every 3-5 wears hence the upsize. Hopefully by summer my SAMs will turn bohemian.

@artisandenim

Looks like a fade to me. Veiny though.. Let's see the whole frontside

Edited by Robert Langdon

Ooooo that's harsh b_F man, harsh... Ha!

But a fair point... When I look (closely) at the two, it's clear where the 5000's are going to fade, there's some action happening on both the out/in seams, crotch, hidden rivets etc, and if I had a better camera you can even sort of see where the combs and whiskers are going to end up. 

S4bKmjZ.png

V3S446K.png

The 710's though..... nothing at all!

gs01gHh.png

Lets face it - i've given them a go - walking, cycling, dragging them up sandstone cliffs, hell even rope swinging!

In a way though, I aint even mad... I really like the 710's as they are. I'm almost tempted to get another pair to batter the crap out of and try and hold these in place for a while.

Or maybe i'll just go to the charity shop and ask for my other jeans back.  :(

edit: Also please note the thoroughly majestic left knee of the 5000. Fade friday here I come.

Edited by Artisandenim

512XXBC (bootcuts).

I exchanged the size 33 for the 34 and I am very pleased; this is a totally righteous pair of jeans!  This is my first pair of high end raw denims and I doubt I will ever again buy a pair of Levis as I couldn't be happier with this pair of Samurais.  This odyssey began for me while searching where to buy some truly slim fit raw bootcut jeans, since Levis ruined the 517s about 15 years ago by making them "roomier."  

I have soaked them once (not super hot as my spigot is only moderately hot).  I calculate the waist shrank about 1.5" and the length about 2."  The waist has stretched back out with one wearing perhaps .5 to 1."  I was afraid that I would lose a lot of the flare in the leg but that did not happen, so I'm happy there.  For anyone thinking about this model just beware that the top block is very tight in relation to the rest of the measurements.  All the measurements of the size 33 were perfect for me, except for the top block, it was just too tight, seemingly a bit out of proportion to the other measurements.  But if you buy from BiG take Gordon's advice; he knows what he's talking about.  

My apologies for not getting any pics of pre-soak fit on me, but the selfies were not good.  I will try to post more as I wear them in.

Many thanks to those who responded to my questions.  I will be happy to help if anyone else has questions about the 512XXBC.

One other question, how much shrinkage should I expect on subsequent soakings?

Peace

IMG_1554_zpsff9449c0.jpgIMG_1556_zps07897b1e.jpgIMG_1555_zpsc754fbe6.jpgIMG_1553_zps0b21c9fe.jpgIMG_15602_zps18441b6b.jpgIMG_1559_zps550da487.jpgIMG_15572_zps6ff875f0.jpg

Out of curiosity, what kind of boots are you wearing these with? Since I got into selvedge denim I rarely wear my cowboy boots. If your plans are to wear these with cowboy boots I'd live to see some picks of how the boot cut looks with them.

That's groovy; to each, his own man.  For everyone one like you out there, means an extra pair of bootcuts for old hippie cowboys like me.  Peace

Don't get me wrong, on the right person they can work. 

The thing is I live in a "cowboy" town, and all the jack ass's throw their bootcut pants on with their cowboy boots. So that has just ruined it for me there.

Out of curiosity, what kind of boots are you wearing these with? Since I got into selvedge denim I rarely wear my cowboy boots. If your plans are to wear these with cowboy boots I'd live to see some picks of how the boot cut looks with them.

Anderson Beane, real working cowboy boots.  I should have thrown the spurs on for effect but they're out in the truck, too much trouble.  Not for everyone, but thanks for asking.IMG_1561_zpsa81c1ac4.jpgIMG_1562_zps3975298e.jpgIMG_1568_zps550bfb3d.jpgIMG_1568_zps550bfb3d.jpg

Don't get me wrong, on the right person they can work. 

The thing is I live in a "cowboy" town, and all the jack ass's throw their bootcut pants on with their cowboy boots. So that has just ruined it for me there.

I always wanted to go up to the Calgary Stampede; closest I got was Cheyenne Frontier Days.  You have the daddy of them all in your back yard, hope you get to enjoy it some day!