Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

S0500XX at 3 months and 2 weeks. No washS3500509.jpg

The one of the pocket is with flash, but i like how it shows the texture of the denim

S3500525.jpgS3500504.jpg

i have more pictures if anyone really wants to see what minescule wear they have. haha

sorry for the gigantic pictures.. they were bigger.

your honeycombs are gonna end up halfway up your thighs after soak or wash.

dammit.. my bad i meant soak. i havent washed them yet. i put them on when i got them. then soaked them for a few hours in lukewarm water. yah... good call thanks. ugh its been a long week.

okay, so, i've had my jeans for 3+ months... when i decide to soak them again, say, in a few months.. how can i ensure that the creases and honeycombs wont get screwed up. these sams are my first pair of real jeans. i have some apc rescues also.

But wont they shink like, everywhere? Megh idk i guess i just have to wait and see right? I wanna try and hold off on the touching of the water thing for as long as i can though.. at least until they get irritatingly loose or fall past my shoes. got a remedy for that? rubber bands? haha jk i think..

if you did an initial soak at first, they should be ok. it'll have minimal shrinking everywhere, not nearly enough to effect your fades at all. dont even worry about that.

okay cool.. and yes, for clarification, i did soak them the day i got them.and hang dried them... and they were stiff as a board. it was great hehe

again. WRONGGGG.

did you not read a single thing i wrote? i pretty much wrote an essay on how the 5000 tapers down from knee down SIMILARLY to 0500 and 510. the difference is in overall slim-ness and how much its tapered. but all three are tapered varying by model and size. no shit the difference is in the leg opening...where else would it be? nobody even talked about the taper from crotch to knee, i explained knee to leg opening.

5000 tapered about .25-.5" from knee down to hem.

its standard to measure knee at either 13 or 14" down from crotch (where else would you measure knee...?). this is how they measure and distinguish most cuts basically: bootcut, straight, taper, etc also. from knee down to hem

5000, 0500, 510 are all tapered slightly ranging from .3-.75" from knee to hem.

"dead straight" from knee down would be like PBJ-005's (ie, 8" at knee to 8" at hem) or some other Samurai models like the Jins.

thanks but, try again.

See what you made me do?! Just because you're in histerics over this, I now had to go take them off and measure them, I'm standing here in my undies taking measurements looking like an didiot, just to prove you wrong.

Measurements starting at hem and moving up 10cm intervals, in mm... all just for you. I hope you appreciate this.

225mm (0 - hem)

226mm (10)

227mm (20)

227mm (30)

225mm (40)

227mm (50 - knee)

235mm (60)

260mm (70)

285mm (80)

316mm (85 - crotch)

Happy now?

EDIT: Now with offset measurements.

um i appreciate your efforts in measuring a single pair of 5000's. now go compare your measurments with everybody else's 5000's. do some shrink differently? yes. yours may have not shrunken as much in the hem but the majority of 5000 taper nearly .5" from knee down (like theyre supposed to). i remember specifically my 5000 when i had them were tapered down to 8" at hem from around 8.4" or so at knee.

the reason Samurai puts a slight taper into the 5000 despite it being called a straight leg is to avoid the jeans from looking bootcut which often occurs when it is straight leg from knee to hem.

ps. your inseam is nearly 40"?

s5000vx 21oz size 35

all in inches

waist 16 3/4

hem 9"

front rise 11 1/4

rear rise 15 1/4

knee 9 3/4

thigh 12 1/2

after 1 hour of htot soak ( hottest on tap)

and hang dry

waist 16 1/4

hem 8 1/2

front rise 10 1/2

rear rise 14 3/4

knee 9 1/2

thigh 12 1/4

after 1 hour of htot soak ( hottest on tap)

and hang dry

Why only 1 hour? Don't think that's long enough dude. I did 1 hour with the first pair I had that didn't fit. Didn't do much. I did a 4 - 5 hour soak, changing the water 3 or 4 time with my current 5000vx and they moved a lot more.

Why only 1 hour? Don't think that's long enough dude. I did 1 hour with the first pair I had that didn't fit. Didn't do much. I did a 4 - 5 hour soak, changing the water 3 or 4 time with my current 5000vx and they moved a lot more.

This is something Kiya posted on another forum about soak times:

"Soaking your jeans in water for anything over 40 minutes is a waste of time, the shrinking of the cotton fibers takes place because they've become wet then dry for the first time since being woven into a textile. How long you leave the jeans in the water does NOT equate to the amount of shrinking.

Actual test i've done just to make sure what i've learned is correct: Take a pair of unsanforized jeans and soak them in warm water for 25 minutes, take another pair of the same jeans and soak them for 2 hours. Difference in shrinkage? Pretty much unnoticeable. Technically? .1" in the waist, .2" in the length. The temperature of the water makes a far larger difference. Kids who talk about "i soaked for three hours" are wasting 2 hours and 40 minutes of waiting time"

I have found this to be 100% true, even with samurais (with one exception, see below). I have soaked all my STF jeans in the hottest water that will come out of my tub and lay them in there for maybe 25 minutes or so. Any subsequent soaks or washes have resulted only in temporary shrinkage that goes away again with a few wears. Even my S5000VX have not substantially shrunk after the additional soak.

The only exception was my SC40400N which shrank an additional 2 inches or so in length upon first machine wash. And it shrank a LOT during that initial soak too.

The only exception was my SC40400N which shrank an additional 2 inches or so in length upon first machine wash. And it shrank a LOT during that initial soak too.

I've always found that agitation shrinks denim more than a soak. That's why I usually soak and then throw them in to the washing machine to get as much shrinking out as possible. I soak for about 3 hours with two water changes (less or more if needed) mainly to get as much of the starch out of the fibres as possible.

The way I see it, jeans will shrink once the dry starched cotton fibres get wet. Starch is removed at a molecular level and the yarn can 'relax' for the first time, leading to shrinking and twisting (loosening). However, a starch coating tends to protect the cotton fibre from water. If you drip a few drops onto brand new raw denim, the water tends to bead off like oiled leather. So a hot soak works better than a cold soak and agitating the denim will cause it to be fully hydrated, getting the most shrinkage out as possible.

I've always found that agitation shrinks denim more than a soak. That's why I usually soak and then throw them in to the washing machine to get as much shrinking out as possible. I soak for about 3 hours with two water changes (less or more if needed) mainly to get as much of the starch out of the fibres as possible.

The way I see it, jeans will shrink once the dry starched cotton fibres get wet. Starch is removed at a molecular level and the yarn can 'relax' for the first time, leading to shrinking and twisting (loosening). However, a starch coating tends to protect the cotton fibre from water. If you drip a few drops onto brand new raw denim, the water tends to bead off like oiled leather. So a hot soak works better than a cold soak and agitating the denim will cause it to be fully hydrated, getting the most shrinkage out as possible.

Yes agreed...I always yield more shrinkage out of a run in the machine than a boiling hot soak (no matter how long/short).

wasnt quite satisfied with the fit of the 0500 after first soak (hip flare + thighs werent fitting right), so i did a second soak to shrink it up a bit more. came out looking alot better. didnt realize the hip area of these are cut so big? regardless, love them

xpost from waywt with second soak 0500xx

041208.jpg

wasnt quite satisfied with the fit of the 0500 after first soak (hip flare + thighs werent fitting right), so i did a second soak to shrink it up a bit more. came out looking alot better. didnt realize the hip area of these are cut so big? regardless, love them

I just got some 0500s two days ago and the size of the hips is my only qualm. The waist fits tight but I still get some hip-flare. I think I dont have enough difference between my waist measurement and my hip measurement to fill these out (aka I have no ass).

Its not THAT bad, but for future reference what Samurai jeans have less of an increase from waist measurement to hip measurement (smaller hip measurement for a given size)? Hip measurements aren't readily available.