Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

5 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

...GX-T was part of the Elements-Series.

probably the same denim and dying technique.

That seems likely, thanks. Do you remember what weight were the Element-denims? My Google-fu comes up short trying to dig up related facts.

7 hours ago, Critical Observer said:

That seems likely, thanks. Do you remember what weight were the Element-denims? My Google-fu comes up short trying to dig up related facts.

My s5000gx-s wind were 17oz. Here are few picks from last year.

B14F6C88-B202-470C-A5DC-5BC7554A1FEB.jpeg

18514760-CE16-4A22-B743-38C5F525E265.jpeg

6F00AF5B-6477-4C90-9209-88DB8BBBEF88.jpeg

FE9B4FFB-E595-44D9-80FA-662933FBC398.jpeg

Awesome denim evo Tamgen2

Samurai 710xx, 4 yrs old, ~7 washes. This guy has been with me for many memorable days and might be my favorite pair I've had. no plans to retire anytime soonCSKXy.thumb.jpeg.8b6733a2483e83f3991b34b6d433be38.jpegIMG_4552.thumb.JPG.04ff7734280a8c3ada1dcffe1528f4b9.JPGIMG_0594.thumb.JPG.1171e6b01654e14dd4dae16a88293e2e.JPGIMG_8946.thumb.JPG.fdcbda0a6aebfbf61df468ae8b8e014d.JPGIMG_7906.thumb.jpg.e408d97747f5888fac9d130cf60596c8.jpg

Edited by theone
my* favorite

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello and thanks to y'all. I used the info in this topic to score some S710mog18oz Samurai Jeans from 2nd and the experience has been great. I did a 2hr warm water soak and they were almost ideal waist-wise and then they stretched out to a comfy size with a day's wear. Now I want to do another soak to try and shrink them down closer to Samurai Jean's hypothetical maximum shrinkage. Is that strategy overkill/ocd since I've already gone 2 hr? Also, I've seen some people not really recommending wearing your jeans while you soak. I can think of some reasons why, but, would that be a good option if you were trying to limit shrinkage on a model that could potentially shrink a bit beyond ideal not-broken-in size? Thanks if you have any insight but I'll get some pics up next time i'm with a decent camera. Thanks Samurai bros/sisters. 

@scooby great to see some S510's! It's a great cut that deserves more attention. 

They look great, but I have to say this: they either need a little more shrink, or maybe are a  size too big. Once you wear them for a while the denim will soften and drape more loosely. I like to iron my jeans when new after the first couple of washes - not so much as to get the wrinkles out but to get the fabric to relax a little and drape better. Regardless, after a couple weeks they'll soften. 

@LuckiestRacoon welcome and congrats on your new Samurai jeans! Their denim will shrink a bit more with subsequent washings. I recommend a machine wash with hot water - inside out. Also, as mentioned, put them in the dryer on high heat - inside out. Hot water and heat will shrink denim more than cold water, regardless of time. Inside out is key to avoid fading at the creases. It also minimizes indigo loss on the face of the fabric, but does not prevent it. Don't wear jeans wet - they'll stretch out the wrong way, in all the wrong places. You'll end up with diaper butt and knee bagging. If they're snug, just wear them and they'll stretch as needed. If they're too tight, then they're too small. 

4 hours ago, mpukas said:

@scooby great to see some S510's! It's a great cut that deserves more attention. 

They look great, but I have to say this: they either need a little more shrink, or maybe are a  size too big. Once you wear them for a while the denim will soften and drape more loosely. I like to iron my jeans when new after the first couple of washes - not so much as to get the wrinkles out but to get the fabric to relax a little and drape better. Regardless, after a couple weeks they'll soften. 

Thanks! I love the cut. They definitely have more shrink in them but I also could’ve taken the size down. For jeans I plan on working in I prefer a little wiggle room.

I’ll try to post updates with each wash here every couple weeks or so.

Thanks for the response and warmth. I think I get it except maybe a minor point. Are your recommendations aimed at "eliminating all the stretch" or a similar logic? I thought I would be letting go of all control as to whether my jeans would shrink past a wearable size if I used machine heat/agitation. I suppose the idea is to pull the jeans out of the dryer and measure them every few minutes to make sure you don't go too far? Or are you saying there is a rock bottom shrinkage state you recommend trying to get to?

I look forward to seeing how those roomier s510's develop! 

Edit - scratch all that I re-read B_f's fit guide and I get it now!

Edited by LuckiestRacoon

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 510XXs hemmed, gave them another hot wash, wore them for a week. They fit 1,000,000 times better after that additional hot wash, especially in the top block :D 

Definitely longer inseam than I typically wear but I’m pleased with the fit nonetheless

59577087-8C18-4CFB-BC8C-C77B13C36171.thumb.jpeg.6f0864467eb34363fd9b24cadb373e5e.jpeg

3 hours ago, ShootThePier said:

Hmm... did the the details change. When looking at these today on OD and 2nd, I only see kakishibu weft.

It seems the original report on the release was worded wrong and the gx-t was always going to be kakishibu. Unfortunate, as I for one would have liked 710 cut in indigo-indigo. :/