Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

1 hour ago, Thanks_M8 said:

Thanks for the pictures! I just thought the same about the grey cast in the weft. Are those/ have those been scratchy as well? 

1 hour ago, julian-wolf said:

Thanks for posting. It's interesting that those have such a similar grey cast to the weft as the Cane's. I guess that's just how wool goes?

I guess they have been using natural colored or darker wool and not pure white, bleached wool...

certainly scratchy when compared to regular cotton denim, but nothing one can’t handle. I remember the first time I wore Sugarcane’s 50/50, Warehouse’s cotton-linen or Samurai’s bamboo denim - they all felt scratchy initially. Never got to test Samurai’s paper denim or hemp denim, though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

Hope all is well in the SuFu community. I have not logged in for years! 

I was hoping if anyone had any experience wearing the recent Limited Edition Samurai S511NBK Black x Black (Warp x Weft)? I am about 5-6 months in and they appear to be fading brown...almost to a rust color in the thigh and honeycomb area. I expected it to fade grey? Is anyone familiar with this fading process? Will it eventually fade to grey? I’m a little let down by the brownish rust color it’s fading to. Hoping it’ll fade to grey eventually.

I can provide pictures later, but if anyone has progress pics of the S511NBK or input on Black x Black Samurai fades in general, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you all! 

^ I don't know Samurai well, but isn't the NBK (as opposed to BKB) made using yarns that are dyed to the core, to prevent any sort of traditional fading? If so, the discoloration you're seeing may be due not to the outer portions of the yarns wearing away but to the dye itself reacting poorly to sunlight, air, etc. and losing its original hue. I know that black-to-brown is a common transition for non-colorfast "black" dyes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am looking at buying a pair of Samurai S711VX 17oz but I have come across something that concerns me if there are fakes out there. Sorry if my question has been answered before. 

Question: I have noticed that some Samurai jeans have a red tag on back pocket spelt SAMURAI and some have the same red tag but the A in upside down. Is there a reason for this? Does it indicate a fake or is it something totally different?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I think the price is pretty normal for a collab with so many selvedge details and different details. The Samurai x Denimio collab which also was released yesterday or so is much more expensive. 

But if you look at the measurements the jeans aren't that relaxed in the top block. Other "comfort taper" from samurai would be the 710 still. Just not that drastically tapered. 

On 10/6/2018 at 12:52 PM, redgreen said:

@Foxy2 how are you enjoying that S101JP? what size did you get and any fit pics?   

thanks for the reminder - need to put some wear into it now that the fall season is upon us - maybe pics towards the weekend...

To whom it may concern: measurements on my S3000VX size 35 after a warm bath are: waist 34, thighs 12.75, knees 10.5, opening 9.5, front rise 12, back rise 15.5. Maybe they'll shrink a tad more when I wash them. 

One thing with those is that the pocket bags are a bit shallow, as I mention above.

Did Samurai change their 15oz Texas Cotton denim? From the shrink test over at Okayama Denim and the review from The Denim Hound it sounds that the denim on the Samurai x OD collab barely shrinks. My experience with the 15oz denim is between 1.5-2" shrinkage at the waist from a simple soak and also 2-3" in the inseam. Either they changed the denim or some guys will be quite surprised down the line...

The Dneim Hound:

Fabric: 15oz unsanforized right hand twill denim made from 100% Texas cotton. A very tightly woven, rigid denim with plenty of nep and hair. A light amount of slub. The rope dyed indigo warp and white weft produce moderately fast fading. Because of how tightly this denim is woven you should expect very little shrinkage for an unsanforized denim, even with a hot soak. This denim acts more like a sanforized denim in that aspect. Also, don’t count on tons of stretch either as the weave gets even tighter after a soak.

Shrink test from Okayama Denim:

0.4" at the waist and 0.7" at the inseam

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, how was it with the sizing of the S710BK17oz? Does it vary by the lot? They seemingly have these, lot 17 vintage, in stock at 2nd, and realized I might need :rolleyes: a pair of black fade-to-gray jeans. I wear the S710XX24oz in tag size 32; would I go for the same in these?

Edit: Turns out that I have been looking at the S710BK17oz-II (lot 20) last winter when some sizes were still in stock at Denimio; it strikes to me as rather peculiar that the lot 17 would now suddenly make a reappearance but on 2nd's inventory the 2 models are clearly separate (lot 20 out of stock in my size).

Edited by Critical Observer