Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

@ShootThePier  They were @33.75 after the 3rd wash, then had them hemmed @BiG to 32" ... w/c is current inseam.

Yes, this particular denim thrives on periodic soak/wash ... no need to worry about indigo loss__ it's packed w/ indigo for 2 pairs ;)

Edited by BrownMetallic

Hi, I need some help. I got Samurai jeans and they're a bit too big. I wear 34 big, because of 24 oz I ordered in 35 large and find something too big. How should I proceed? Shall I wash hot or soak?

@Jambol depending on how much shrink you want to get out of them, I recommend a cold wash in a front loading washing machine. Avoid a top-loading machine that has a central agitator. Turn them inside out. Hand wash cycle, no spin. Once the wash cycle is done, you can spin them for a minute or so, just to get some of the excess water out, but don't spin them for too long. Flatten them out as best you can and hang dry. Once mostly dry, turn right-side out and continue to hang until completely dry. Do not try to wear them damp, as you'll get unnatural stretching and sagging, especially in the knees and butt. 

If they didn't shrink enough, then do the same thing but use the hottest water you're washing machine will get. I usually do two washes and hang dry cycles with any new jeans to get all of the shrink out, and I've had very good luck. No noticeable color loss. I also like to iron my jeans after they're dried the second time, as it relaxes and extends the fabric, and makes the jeans hang better. I don't iron after they've been worn for some time and are developing whiskers/combs. 

The problem when washing heavy denim that fades fast is when they're wet, they're very heavy and they will get folds in unnatural places. If they're spun or put in the dryer, even inside out, the dye will fade from the edges of the folds and you'll end up with weird fade lines. 

All denim will shrink when washed and stretch with wear, unsanforized much more so than sanforized. But each denim behaves differently. If they're a full size too big currently in raw state, they should shrink 1 to 1.5 sizes when washed, and then stretch 0.5 10 1 size with wear over time. 

17 hours ago, mpukas said:

@Jambol depending on how much shrink you want to get out of them, I recommend a cold wash in a front loading washing machine. Avoid a top-loading machine that has a central agitator. Turn them inside out. Hand wash cycle, no spin. Once the wash cycle is done, you can spin them for a minute or so, just to get some of the excess water out, but don't spin them for too long. Flatten them out as best you can and hang dry. Once mostly dry, turn right-side out and continue to hang until completely dry. Do not try to wear them damp, as you'll get unnatural stretching and sagging, especially in the knees and butt. 

If they didn't shrink enough, then do the same thing but use the hottest water you're washing machine will get. I usually do two washes and hang dry cycles with any new jeans to get all of the shrink out, and I've had very good luck. No noticeable color loss. I also like to iron my jeans after they're dried the second time, as it relaxes and extends the fabric, and makes the jeans hang better. I don't iron after they've been worn for some time and are developing whiskers/combs. 

The problem when washing heavy denim that fades fast is when they're wet, they're very heavy and they will get folds in unnatural places. If they're spun or put in the dryer, even inside out, the dye will fade from the edges of the folds and you'll end up with weird fade lines. 

All denim will shrink when washed and stretch with wear, unsanforized much more so than sanforized. But each denim behaves differently. If they're a full size too big currently in raw state, they should shrink 1 to 1.5 sizes when washed, and then stretch 0.5 10 1 size with wear over time. 

Thank you for the note, I will make

howdy. looking for a little advice, please.

i just picked up a pair of s710's in size 35. previous owner did one initial hot soak and then one cold wash/hang dry a bit later. don't think he wore them much as there is virtually no signs of wear, and tons of indigo left, and i know these fade relatively quickly.

as many have already pointed out, they're a little baggier than i'd like from the knee down. my question is this: if i get them tapered from the knee down. how small can i go on the leg opening without ruining the silhouette of the jean and still get the semi-slim look i'm after? (i was thinking a 7" opening) i've seen some horribly dramatic tapers from the knee down that i'd love to avoid. 

then there's the age-old question of whether to hem or leave the length as is. i'm not much of a stacker...

thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, cw said:

howdy. looking for a little advice, please.

i just picked up a pair of s710's in size 35. previous owner did one initial hot soak and then one cold wash/hang dry a bit later. don't think he wore them much as there is virtually no signs of wear, and tons of indigo left, and i know these fade relatively quickly.

as many have already pointed out, they're a little baggier than i'd like from the knee down. my question is this: if i get them tapered from the knee down. how small can i go on the leg opening without ruining the silhouette of the jean and still get the semi-slim look i'm after? (i was thinking a 7" opening) i've seen some horribly dramatic tapers from the knee down that i'd love to avoid. 

then there's the age-old question of whether to hem or leave the length as is. i'm not much of a stacker...

thanks in advance!

That's gonna be too small. I had my 710 geishas tapered to a 7.25" opening and i've ruined them. I am a pretty big guy tho and they hub my legs way too much now 

I'd cuff them with the original hem, my 710 19oz pair is perfect with a bit of a hem only and a large cuff that floats off my feet 

Edited by karanimal

1 hour ago, karanimal said:

That's gonna be too small. I had my 710 geishas tapered to a 7.25" opening and i've ruined them. I am a pretty big guy tho and they hub my legs way too much now 

I'd cuff them with the original hem, my 710 19oz pair is perfect with a bit of a hem only and a large cuff that floats off my feet 

cool. appreciate the insight. got a fit pic, by chance? saw the pic of them lying flat a couple pages back. nice work. 

Great denim evo seen here Flo 

Max Power

12 hours ago, 1fookntitefd said:

^^ Looking good. How many wears and washes for each pair?

Thanks guys. I think the og has seen 8 months and been washed around 5 times. The vx somewhat the same amount of months but if im not mistaken only two handwashes after the soak.

And I love your awesome strong and deep shaped honey combs on your last pic Flo Max Power

On 11.3.2017 at 10:52 PM, 1fookntitefd said:

Max, those 5000vx look dope. You should wear them more!

Thanks, but I never got to really like the 5000VX cut. Too narrow top block, fairly small thighs and super wide leg opening. Plus I slowly gravitated towards lighter denim, after the Resolute and Full Count even my 14 oz Warehouse feels thick and stiff these days! The 16 oz OG denim would be the heaviest I would wear nowadays.

On 12.3.2017 at 4:26 AM, JDelage said:

What would be a good straight regular (wide thighs & knees, high or mid waist) in black?

Samurai doesn't have many options with black denim. The closest pair would be the S3000BK but those are from many years ago. A stable black option is the S5000VX but it doesn't really have wide thighs. But it's a straight leg jeans so you should take a look at those :)