Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

Blue Nemo, I say this because I know you can take an upfront opinion: that is a pretty ugly shirt. Can't get behind those pocket flats or the yoke at all.

You'd do way better picking up a Flat Head western.

I'm ok with the yoke and if it was just that, i might have been ok with the shirt but together with the weird rectangle pocket with the wavy flap, it just looks like a bizarro workshirt/western hybrid.

Blue Nemo, I say this because I know you can take an upfront opinion: that is a pretty ugly shirt. Can't get behind those pocket flats or the yoke at all.

You'd do way better picking up a Flat Head western.

whoooot?! I think this shirt is suuuuuupernaaaaturellll :-D

haha, anyway, all is fine. I am more concerned with the amount of shrinkage left!

I like the seriousness and simplicity of the TFH westerns. But this Samurai thing is just something else entirely. Its hard to tell why, but this is a supercool western shirt! And that comes from a guy who's only wearing work inspired shirts without flap pockets and snap buttons.

I say go for it Blue Nemo, wouldn't do if everyone liked the same thing. One man's meat is another man's poison, etc...

Yosh!

Hey, and if it looks good then the yoke's on everyone else.

Hehe, I will post a picture or two wearing the shirt when I get it. We will see how this works out then :-D

So I guess, nobody yet has any experience with the 10 oz denim itself?

Edited by Blue Nemo

I have "the other" Samurai western shirt and there's no shrink in it at all, washed it a couple of times and size didn't change. The denim feels pretty stiff and heavy, and no stretch either, so I wouldn't calculate sizing on the absolute minimum that would fit you.

I don't get why people get so upset about these Samurai shirts :D Yeah they're different from "standard" western shirts, that's what makes them appealing to some tastes :) Personally I like asymmetrical pocket flaps and creative yokes a lot.

Edited by Cucoo

Blue Nemo: Bought mine from 2nd. Think they were already one washed so can't speak to shrinkage but I do agree it looks good and I picked up a size 40. Would you want measurements?

Yeah, I was speaking of shrinkage that might occur even though its one-washed. One never knows how thorough that might have been. It be awesome if you could post some measurements of your size 40, especially as you might have washed yours, right?

Are you a size 40 in japanese tops or did you size up as well? I know that these are supposed to fit slim, but my true 38 would be too small...

Nemo, super tacky!!!!

Did you know it has exposed selvedge on the arm? Bleh

Yeah, don't like it either. Not at all. But I role with it anyway bwahah

I have "the other" Samurai western shirt and there's no shrink in it at all, washed it a couple of times and size didn't change. The denim feels pretty stiff and heavy, and no stretch either, so I wouldn't calculate sizing on the absolute minimum that would fit you.

I don't get why people get so upset about these Samurai shirts :D Yeah they're different from "standard" western shirts, that's what makes them appealing to some tastes :) Personally I like asymmetrical pocket flaps and creative yokes a lot.

That info is golden! Thanks

Yes, the shirt went through a couple of wash cycles. Haven't noticed any shrinkage from that. Sizing is weird with me since I go on a bulk/cut cycle since I work out. I'm usually between a bigger M and a medium L if that makes any sense. This is my only samurai item and Stevenson and Mister Freedom tops I am between sizes (M & L).

Measured Self Edge guide:

Chest: 20 inches

Shoulder: 16.5

Sleeve: 24

Length: 27

Only weird thing is the shoulder since I actually need at least 18+ inches but oddly can fit into these. Maybe it's the placement or opening that made a difference.

Fit pic of the samurai shirt: https://i.imgur.com/E4ENvdt.jpg

I'm looking for a 37.5-38 inch waist and a 13.75-14 inch thigh.  These are finished post wash/stretch measurements.

I'm really struggling coming to a decision on which model/oz to go with.  Nothing over 19oz.  I figure I'm looking at 510xx, 500xx, 5000vx, or 710xx.  Size either 36 or 38.

If anyone can offer any assistance i'd appreciate it greatly.

from my experience with regular straight leg cuts they work fine for smaller waists, but the bigger the waist the bigger the hem gets, which tends to look unproportional. especially with a size 38 upwards

I do agree that I dislike the larger hem sizes for the 510 etc...5000vx as well.

I would love for the 710xx to work for me, but I just don't know if the waist on the size 38 will shrink enough.  Accordingly to BiG the size 38 has a raw waist of 39.75(would this shrink all the way to 38"?)...and on the flipside the thigh on the size 36 doesn't look to be large enough at 13.5" raw.

I wonder if I could get the 510xx size 36 waist to stretch out that much?  Raw on BiG says 36.5".

I do agree that I dislike the larger hem sizes for the 510 etc...5000vx as well.

I would love for the 710xx to work for me, but I just don't know if the waist on the size 38 will shrink enough.  Accordingly to BiG the size 38 has a raw waist of 39.75(would this shrink all the way to 38"?)...and on the flipside the thigh on the size 36 doesn't look to be large enough at 13.5" raw.

I wonder if I could get the 510xx size 36 waist to stretch out that much?  Raw on BiG says 36.5".

I often often found that BIG indicates the waist just a bit bigger than it is. And while it is safe to assume that the waist will Stretch back to almost raw size, it's even safer to say that it's not the best idea to push a 36,5 to 38.

You could have a look wether a size 38 710DMO is still available - its waist should run more or less true to size.

Edited by Max Power

I often often found that BIG indicates the waist just a bit bigger than it is. And while it is safe to assume that the waist will Stretch back to almost raw size, it's even safer to say that it's not the best idea to push a 36,5 to 38.

You could have a look wetehr a size 38 710DMO is still available - its waist should run more or less true to size.

Damn, the measurements on the 710DMO do look good.  They're all out though.

Edit: I'm actually heading to Tokyo tomorrow.  Hopefully I'll find something that works.  Maybe I can sort through a ton of pairs and find the best measurements to try and make a pair work.

Edited by tylernim