Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

It's easy to find something to dislike if you're exposed to a brand enough, but if I were to simply go by what I saw in those jeans, I'd say I liked the denim and fading a lot and I'd be interested in owning a pair... although I think that brands that have a more "American" identity resonate with me better.

Denimio is having what i think to be a contest between samurai and ONI. thoughts? https://www.instagram.com/p/_6MEGAoL2u/  

don't know why the second link isn't clickable just paste in browser 

Edited by FreeCharlesManson

If you read Denimio's instagram, you'll learn that this will apparently not be a colloboration pair, but two individual pairs. Why they didn't use the Geisha as an official pair for the Samurai part is beyond me, but we'll see what they have planned.

If you read Denimio's instagram, you'll learn that this will apparently not be a colloboration pair, but two individual pairs. Why they didn't use the Geisha as an official pair for the Samurai part is beyond me, but we'll see what they have planned.

do you think they're going to be special or just their standard lineup used for the contest. i think it would be crazy if oni and samurai swapped denim so you could get a secret denim 710 or something crazy like that

Edited by FreeCharlesManson

No idea honestly. Their normal lineup would obviously be easiest, just say "everyone who buys a pair of Oni or Samurai during a given time period is automatically entered into a contest," but I don't see why they would tease that with several instagram posts. I also think a contest will then become a lot more difficult to judge.

If they managed to get Samurai and Oni to collaborate in some shape or form on this thing, then hats off to Denimio. The contest will probably be a huge success regardless, but if this happens it will be completely bananas I think.

Yeah, I know but I could never fit in those PBJs (in fact in most of their cuts).

Ironheart make a non fade black jean as well. The IH-9634Z is their straight cut version. They currently have a 12% off sale.

Agreed. Hopefully Denimio have pulled off something special with Sam/Oni though and they have created special denim(s). 

Samurai 710XX16OZ-DMO Review

Yesterday, I received the Samurai x Denimio collab in size 35. I spare you the pictures for now but still wanna give you guys me input on them.

Fit

I also own the standard S710XX in size 35. And while both pairs look nearly identic when laid on top of each other, the DMO still feels tighter. The back rise of the DMO feels shorter and the whole top block but especially the hips and where the legs are attached feel tighter. I attribute this to the denim being still crunchy and stiff as hell.

My old 710XX are unhemmed but these DMO are hemmed and measure 34†after a strong agitated soak. Still, because of the stiff denim it feels shorter than 34†but is long enough for me.

Denim

I handled the 16oz Geisha denim several years ago when I saw Ika’s worn in pair but this didn’t prepare me when I handled my DMO.

The Geisha denim is one of the darkest Samurai denims. With lots of Samurai denims you have very slubby and bumpy denims where a lot of weft shows through. Because of this the standard Samurai denims look lighter.

The Geisha denim is more uniform compared to the 15oz Texas Cotton, the Zero denim or the 19oz Denim. But when you touch the denim you feel lots of little bumps and itchy spots. You also have some little neps here and there. Furthermore, the denim is incredible stiff and coarse. There seem to be still a lot of starch and sizing agents in this denim.

The denim has a distinct redcast resulting in a purple cast. Something I haven’t seen in Samurai denim yet (as far as I remember).

All in all, the denim is more uncomfortable than I expected for a “Women’s Denim†;)

Details + Hardware

Now to the part where Samurai is one of the leading Japanese raw denim brands we discuss here: the details!

This pair is crowded with details!

Hidden rivets? Check! Selvedge coin pocket? Check! Lined back pockets? Check! Unique leather patch? Check! Unusual buttons? Check! Etc….

There are surely more things I could enumerate.

The pocket bag material with the Wabash-like look are great so are the lined back pockets. The selvedge on the back pockets is also a nice detail but I think the fold is too big and will create an uncommon horizontal fade. The fading of the back pockets itself could be a whole story. 90 ° rotated, lined and with the selvedge detail: you will hardly create your “own†fades on this back pockets and the path they will evolve is already laid out for them. That’s a little minus in my book.

I like how they used a different denim (Herringbone) for the coin pocket. This is a very small detail and probably only hardly noticeable for outsiders. The arcs are very subtle as of yet but somehow back pockets with arcs but no tab look strange to me :D I could use the tab from the coin pocket to sew it on the back pocket but I have an aversion to fuck with the integrity of a brand new and intact pair of jeans.

The leather of the patch is very nice and I prefer it over the patch of the 710OG because it isn’t as thick. Thick fat leather patches are fancied by some brands but to me it can look odd and uncomfortable. The motive is rather regular and not as wild as other collabs.

What I like probably most are the Lee-style rivets. As I never owned a pair of Samurai Jins, I never experienced these rivets. Now, if they would also have added a crotch rivet… ;)

I don’t have such a big gripe with the gold button like others have. It’s covered by my belt anyways and it’s also just plated with gold. I expect it to rub off eventually over the course of the wear time. The black donut buttons are nice. I’d also like a set of the “Rising Sun†buttons (like the top button) to be painted black but maybe this is something for the future :)

Samurai could have used some more colors for the threads. The arcs are blue and green (and I really wanna know why because this would have fitted better with Blue in Green Soho) but the rest of the stitching I mostly orange/brown. Something like a lemon colored thread for the inseam would have been nice.

Conclusion

I think this is a very well done collab. Denimio wasn’t shy to put as much details into their first collab. But for me the most important thing: they used Samurai’s denim which isn’t known to many people, yet it is already several years old. But since it was kinda exclusive to the Geisha line (with exception of some collabs) you still get the feeling to discover the wilderness and experience something new.

Mail from Denimio:

A battle has been raging. Older than your ancestors. Older than the blade. Older than blood.

The samurai are true, swift, natural warriors in search for glory. The demons didn't fight for glory: they fight for spirit and power.

Whose slub will protect you on the journey? Which side will prove the strongest? Which team will show the most passion, the most endurance?

Warp and weft. Tapered and straight. Washed and unwashed.

#TeamOni vs #TeamSamurai

Which side are you on?

Enter the battle to win epic prizes throughout this year-long battle. Pre-order your limited edition Samurai vs Oni battle jeans now to join! (details below)

Sigh-up form (Deadline: January 14, 2016) :

http://goo.gl/forms/3xpqb9SmoU

Samurai Jeans Contest editions:

• S710XX19oz (Tight Straight) and S510XX19oz (Regular Straight)
  • Special contest edition leather patch
  • Bronze "battle mode" top button
  • Special tab on coin pocket
  • Serial numbers on each pair

ONI Denim Contest editions:

• 517XX16.5oz (Tight Straight) , 512XX16.5oz (Relax Skinny), and 277XX16.5oz (Regular Straight)
  • Special contest edition leather patch
  • Red "battle mode" fly buttons
  • Special tab on coin pocket
  • Serial numbers on each pair

Need advice regarding the 15 oz denim for the S0510XX:

I need a 32 waist worn in. Should I take size 31 or 32?

Has anybody experience wearing this particular denim not fully stretched back?

After I got my SD-101 too small, although pre soak measurements were perfect, I'm a bit psyched out.

Just for the case you like to wear your jeans loose and you have no problems with some kind of "ass flare ", you can also get the 32. Keep in mind it's a wide cut. I also think about getting a new one in a smaller size.