Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

I'm getting pretty interested now. I'm in between a 36 and a 38. All the measurements on the 36 are better except for the waist... I'd need the waist of the 38. Maybe a hot soak will shrink it down enough but the thigh is huge.

Did anyone buy a size 36 or 38 on here? Curious to see what their measurements were. 

Actually I propose to Denimio about having a contest for this collab.

Here's what Mahato reply:

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion and I love the idea, especially because our current Pure Blue Japan XX012 contest will end at the end of October.
But the problem is, the number of this Samurai collab will be quite small, maybe around 100pcs because of insufficient availability of the fabric, and 100pcs are too few to do a contest with...

Maybe with another collab in future...

Kind regards,
Mahoto

Denimio.com

I don’t really get this reasoning.

Only if they say they have to sell 200+ jeans to make enough profit to warrant a good price for the winners. Otherwise the best contests I saw usually had around 30 contestants (except the old Warehouse 660 contest). From the PBJ contest you hardly noticed much (at least me). On reddit are some contestants and the main platform was on Denimio? This way only the people involved get to know what’s happening. Personally, I prefer a contest on a free forum like Sufu or the like where you can fallow the evolution of the jeans and the journey of each contestant continuously in the same thread.

In the end they produced 150 jeans and the Geisha denim is barely documented. It’s like a whole new denim to most people. In a popular cut, perfect conditions for a great contest. But it’s Denimio’s decision and if they don’t want this it’s their choice. :)

I don’t really get this reasoning.

Only if they say they have to sell 200+ jeans to make enough profit to warrant a good price for the winners. Otherwise the best contests I saw usually had around 30 contestants (except the old Warehouse 660 contest). From the PBJ contest you hardly noticed much (at least me). On reddit are some contestants and the main platform was on Denimio? This way only the people involved get to know what’s happening. Personally, I prefer a contest on a free forum like Sufu or the like where you can fallow the evolution of the jeans and the journey of each contestant continuously in the same thread.

In the end they produced 150 jeans and the Geisha denim is barely documented. It’s like a whole new denim to most people. In a popular cut, perfect conditions for a great contest. But it’s Denimio’s decision and if they don’t want this it’s their choice. :)

I really think the PBJ contest could have been so much better. You only ocassionally saw updates of the jeans pop up on different sites (here, reddit, etc.). Almost NO ONE posted regular updates on the dedicated Denimio page for it. I think almost no one regularly checked the pictures there, there was no great way to talk about them, and again, no one participated. When it started out, I had planned to do weekly updates, but quickly fell back to doing only monthly. And even then, I don't think there were many people other than me doing that.

If they hadn't done a couple of mini-challenges along the way, I think there would have been even less pictures. As it is, the bulk of the pictures came during the final week when we were asked to submit our final pictures. I think two out of three finalists only uploaded about 20 pictures or so (10 of which were the final update). I'm NOT trying to say that they didn't deserve to win, I just thought it made it seem kinda pointless that I did regular updates, because I was expecting the contest to be more like the contests over here. I participated because of the community feeling a contest (usually) provides and not because they offered great prizes (I didn't think I would win, I don't fade fast), so I was kinda disappointed how the whole thing played out.

I agree that the Geisha would have been an interesting contest and I'm sure Denimio could have managed some good prizes. The PBJ contest only got the grand prize of a trip to Japan because it reached more than 200 participants, otherwise it would have just been gift cards etc., but even that would be perfectly okay in my book.

So yeah, I don't see why they wouldn't do one with the Geisha (except if they have another contest planned already), but even then, I'd think a small SUFU contest would see much more participation than a big Denimio contest. Just my two cents.

Measurements on my 36x36 DMO's:

Warm soak 1 hr, no stretching 

DMO's Raw      My Raw      My Post Soak

Waist:       35.8                   36                 34.1

Front:       11.8                   12                 11.7

Rear:         --                      15.5              15

Thigh:      13.8                    13.4             13

Leg:         38.6                    39                37.5

Hem:        8.5                      8.5               8.2

I really think the PBJ contest could have been so much better. You only ocassionally saw updates of the jeans pop up on different sites (here, reddit, etc.). Almost NO ONE posted regular updates on the dedicated Denimio page for it. I think almost no one regularly checked the pictures there, there was no great way to talk about them, and again, no one participated. When it started out, I had planned to do weekly updates, but quickly fell back to doing only monthly. And even then, I don't think there were many people other than me doing that.

If they hadn't done a couple of mini-challenges along the way, I think there would have been even less pictures. As it is, the bulk of the pictures came during the final week when we were asked to submit our final pictures. I think two out of three finalists only uploaded about 20 pictures or so (10 of which were the final update). I'm NOT trying to say that they didn't deserve to win, I just thought it made it seem kinda pointless that I did regular updates, because I was expecting the contest to be more like the contests over here. I participated because of the community feeling a contest (usually) provides and not because they offered great prizes (I didn't think I would win, I don't fade fast), so I was kinda disappointed how the whole thing played out.

I agree that the Geisha would have been an interesting contest and I'm sure Denimio could have managed some good prizes. The PBJ contest only got the grand prize of a trip to Japan because it reached more than 200 participants, otherwise it would have just been gift cards etc., but even that would be perfectly okay in my book.

So yeah, I don't see why they wouldn't do one with the Geisha (except if they have another contest planned already), but even then, I'd think a small SUFU contest would see much more participation than a big Denimio contest. Just my two cents.

I think Denimio did the contest for reasons outside of wanting others to see pictures.  They did it to drive awareness that they stock very popular brands and that tons of people are wearing their authentic stuff.  I could see people not exactly "in the know" wondering why denimio is so much cheaper and thinking they may be knock offs.  So they did a pair of jeans in popular cut in an extremely photogenic fabric to show off their brand.  It may not be the end-all-be-all for contests but it achieved (at least IMO) what they sought out to achieve which was mostly an advertising/PR campaign.  At this point since they just ran an advertising campaign I can understand that they want to gather data and see how things go instead of sponsoring another round.

I don’t really get the point. You say they wanted to use this contest as a PR-campaign, yet you say Denimio didn’t want others to see the contest/fades/results. This doesn’t really add up to me…when I am doing a PR-campaign I want to raise the awareness of the masses and make the information easily available to “everyoneâ€.

Then again, Denimio is pretty active on Instagram and maybe there target audience is just different to those old guys like me ;)

But for a contest with 200+ contestants it didn’t really make waves and I only happen to see the winner on

Denimio’s IG.

Edit: but maybe I am too centered on Sufu as “the main denim forumâ€

On other news, next year Samurai is releasing a new cut. The S0511XX. From the sounds of it, it looks like a tapered cut with a normal rise. Sounds a bit like 710 to me but we will see. Will be available in 15oz Texas Cotton denim.

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Interesting point dwilson, but I would argue that if that was their plan, it didn't really work. I think their "Summer Outfit/Fall Outfit" contests on instagram are much more successful in advertising different brands, especially considering that they also use some of the pictures in their actual store. I think these created a lot more awareness than the PBJ contest.

The PBJ contest certainly achieved an initial buzz, and because the jeans were in a popular fabric and cut, they managed to sell a lot of pairs. In that aspect, it certainly was succesful. I don't think it was in other aspects, and certainly wasn't as enjoyable for the community/participants as it could have been.

But enough about PBJ, this is the Samurai thread. We can take it over to the general thread if you guys want to discuss it more.

Pre Wash: Measurements

Waist 17.1"

Front Rise 12"

Rear 14,6"

Thigh 13"

Inside leg 36.5

Hem 8.5"

Here's the measurements of my 710 DMO Size 34 after the wash.

Have worn them for about a day.

Waist 16.5"

Front Rise 11.5"

Rear rise 14.2"

Thigh 12.5"

Inside leg 34

Hem 8

Edited by spitfiredealer

Not sure if this will help anyone, but here are measurements on the 2 raw pairs I received today: 

710XX-DMO-16oz - Size 36

Waist - 36"

Front Rise - 12"

Back Rise - 15.75"

Thigh - 13"

Inseam - 38.5"

Knee - 9.5"

Hem - 8.5"

710XX-24oz - Size 35

Waist - 36"

Front Rise - 12"

Back Rise - 15.5"

Thigh - 13"

Inseam - 37.1"

Knee - 9.5"

Hem - 8.5"

Edited by Raoul Duke

Damn, I could kick me for not ordering the 36 in time, as I knew the 35 would be too tight. And they are...

Other thoughts: I love my model number. The Arcs are more subtle that I thought they'd be - great. Lined pockets are a nice touch, overdone but nobody will see that. The selvage line should give a nice fade on them. The coinpocket looks great, if you can look over the tab. Denimio hemmed my pair with a narrower chainstitch than the original - also good. They only included one cutoff though.

So, I'll try my best to get a 36, if anybody here wants to sell his - hit me up.

DSC_9372.jpg

DSC_9373.jpg

DSC_9375.jpg

DSC_9376.jpg

DSC_9377.jpg

DSC_9378.jpg

DSC_9379.jpg

DSC_9380.jpg

I wrote them asking for a 36. I will try to take fitpics tomorrow. It's a bit strange - the measurements suggest they work and they're almost identical to my BKBs. But moving feels very restricted, even accounting the stiff denim. So it's not just the waist, also hips and thighs. Might get better after soaking and wearing them in, but first I want to makes sure I don't get the chance to switch to another size. I'd even consider a 37 if there was one.

And Part I of the b_f test extravaganza. Samurai S500JX-LR. Was a limited edition from I think 2011? Features LHT and RHT denim resulting in a weird legtwist, where both selvage seams end up on the back of the leg. The denim is super nice and irregular, with a strong electric blue marbling fade (might also stock out as it's by far the most faded pair of the bunch). Size 34 runs pretty small in the waist and the legs are a bit wide for my liking. But it's a great collector's item, not just because of the uniwue denim and crazy combination of denim.

DSC_9401.jpg

DSC_9402.jpg

DSC_9403.jpg

DSC_9406.jpg

DSC_9411.jpg

DSC_9412.jpg

DSC_9413.jpg

DSC_9420.jpg