Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

I have been tinkering with the idea of unsanforized jeans since my first trip to Japan in 2009.  After a bunch of deliberation, measuring and re-measuring each of my existing pairs of jeans, reading Bf's samurai guide 20 times, trying to figure out what a shrink ratio would look like, I finally bought a pair of Samurai's.  Based on my body type and preferred fit, I opted for the s711vx's, lot 18.  There wasn't a ton of information out there re: sizing/pre/post wash for this model, so I figured I would put my experience up here.  

This is part of my denim index (if you're interested for comparable sizing with other brands, let me know and I can post the whole thing):

Samurai 711VX pre soak measurements Size 33 Waist 34.5" Rise (crotch front) 10" Back rise 13.5" Thigh 11.5" Knee 9" Inseam 37.25" Leg opening 8.25"

post warm soak

Waste  34"
Rise (front crotch) 9.75"
Back rise  13.25"
Thigh  11.25"
Knee 9"
Inseam  36.25"
Leg opening  8"

Post hot soak

Waste 33"

Back rise 13"

Thigh 11"

Knee 8.75"

Inseam 35.5"

leg opening 7.75"

I'll post up some fit pics of the process soon.

edit - sorry for the formatting - I can't copy/paste a googledoc layout and make it stick.  Any tips or thoughts are appreciated.

Edited by seal club sandwich

I'm almost sold on the Denimio collab...I always wanted a pair with the Geisha denim.

Edit: preordered. Hope size 35 fits me well.

I'm seriously considering these despite the ugly blue arcs. I've always wanted the 710 in a lighter denim and don't want to pay the silly price at BIG.

Should we size the same for this as in the 19oz 710?

@Aviv: you S0500XX fit you perfectly in my opinion!

re the new Denimio collab: as with all new Samurai Jeans releases you can't suggest what size to take since you just don't know if they run small or big. It's always a gamble. So you have to gamble or wait until ht jeans are released and you got measurements.

@Aviv: you S0500XX fit you perfectly in my opinion!

re the new Denimio collab: as with all new Samurai Jeans releases you can't suggest what size to take since you just don't know if they run small or big. It's always a gamble. So you have to gamble or wait until ht jeans are released and you got measurements.

Thanks man! I'm going to stick with them as I agree they look great.

Re the denimio collab: I think I'll get my usual size and see what happens. YOLO

I would also suggest to go with the 710xx size. I'm curious how the denim behaves, as all Geishas come onewash if I'm not mistaken. Makes sizing even harder. But it looks so great faded. Ialso plan to remove the blue stitching and leave the green or none.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with the arcs. I am trying to decide between this pair and some of the flathead 3002's off denimio. I love both pairs for different reasons, so hard to decide!

@Seal Club Sandwich Denim looks great! Did you size up on these to get a looser fit through the leg? I always thought the 711 fit was more tapered, through the thigh at least. How hot/long did you hot soak for, shrinkage also seems minimal.  Did you by chance get pre and post soak measurements?

3002s are always around and the Geisha denim is beautiful (saw a faded pair in person once). Not so hard if you ask me.

You are right. I just am more familiar with the pioneer denim shrinkage, so they seem like a safer option. As well, the 90 degrees turned back pocket after soak might make the seat shrink really weird. Also, word on the street is samurai has gotten new seamstresses with all of the stitching problems I have seen. I guess I just look at the collabs as a riskier buy, even though it is probably my only change to get that denim. But they are indeed so tempting. Also, on the website, they don't have the flat measurements on the 710's, so sizing is hard. 

@Viva Marlon - pre soak/post warm soak/post hot soak shrinkage details below.

Based off of bF's Sam guide, the shrinkage ratio looks about right/as expected.  I was expecting a tighter leg/thigh (similar to my 316's), and I think I could have sized down one more (to a 32) to tighten things up fit wise.  Regardless, the denim is beautiful, and I'm stoked to try a slightly different fit.  Have you figured out which ones you're into?  Danisfake's 710's look awesome, but I can't deal with that high of a rise at the back of my pants (short legs/etc.)

I have been tinkering with the idea of unsanforized jeans since my first trip to Japan in 2009.  After a bunch of deliberation, measuring and re-measuring each of my existing pairs of jeans, reading Bf's samurai guide 20 times, trying to figure out what a shrink ratio would look like, I finally bought a pair of Samurai's.  Based on my body type and preferred fit, I opted for the s711vx's, lot 18.  There wasn't a ton of information out there re: sizing/pre/post wash for this model, so I figured I would put my experience up here.  

This is part of my denim index (if you're interested for comparable sizing with other brands, let me know and I can post the whole thing):

Samurai 711VX pre soak measurements Size 33 Waist 34.5" Rise (crotch front) 10" Back rise 13.5" Thigh 11.5" Knee 9" Inseam 37.25" Leg opening 8.25"

post warm soak

Waste  34"
Back rise  13.25"
Thigh  11.25"
Knee 9"
Inseam  36.25"
Leg opening  8"

Post hot soak

Waste 33"

Back rise 13"

Thigh 11"

Knee 8.75"

Inseam 35.5"

leg opening 7.75"

I'll post up some fit pics of the process soon.

edit - sorry for the formatting - I can't copy/paste a googledoc layout and make it stick.  Any tips or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks! Must've missed that when you first posted it before.  I'm leaning towards the 711vx in a size 31 waist, I really like the denim from the pictures you posted and as much as I like the 710 danisfake posted, I think the wider thigh/knee measurements on a pair with the desired waist measurements would just be looser than I'd like.  I emailed Denimio cause they're out of size 31 but they said they'll be restocking it in September which is when I planned on buying them anyway.  Now I'm just worried about the stitching problems there've been lately.

I emailed denimio and they said the Geisha denim shrinks about 2-4 cm, which is about .8-1.6 inches. I am assuming is would be 1.6 in the waist and .8 everywhere else 

that doesnt sound like very much. maybe i should have sized down instead of going TTS