Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

Anyone have experience with the 553OG type 3 jacket? Been wanting a Samurai jacket, but curious on the sizing on this. I remember the older ones were a bit smaller than tagged size.

Anyone have experience with the 15 oz. Texas cotton on the Samurai 0510XX?  I recently picked up a pair and noticed that the denim is fairly light in color and also rough textured.  I've read that this cotton is selected for its rough, slubby nature, as well as its high percentage of short cotton fibers.  My question is whether the denim will soften up significantly with washing and wear?

Thanks.

John

Anyone have experience with the 553OG type 3 jacket? Been wanting a Samurai jacket, but curious on the sizing on this. I remember the older ones were a bit smaller than tagged size.

I have this in size 46, it's a little roomier than the 21oz type 3 jacket and little longer arms, very happy with it

Anyone have experience with the 15 oz. Texas cotton on the Samurai 0510XX?  I recently picked up a pair and noticed that the denim is fairly light in color and also rough textured.  I've read that this cotton is selected for its rough, slubby nature, as well as its high percentage of short cotton fibers.  My question is whether the denim will soften up significantly with washing and wear?

Thanks.

John

Hi John,

sorry I didn't answer your PM completely. Like all denims, also the Texas Cotton denim will loosen up with more and moer wear. Of course it will stay solid but when you remoce the starch by washing them more and more, they will get softer

I was planning on ordering a pair of SDAs but wasn't able to resist a pair of s710xx after seeing it in the flesh. This is my first time getting denim so tough I had to battle getting all the buttons inside the holes. The waist now is just right but the thighs could use a little shrinking. I plan on doing a 60 min lukewarm soak and air dry- twice- to remove most of the shrinkage before getting these hemmed (I don't like folding the jeans or massive stacks). You think two lukewarm soaks are enough?

Regarding the hemming part, with the stiff and heavy denim, do i need to leave a little longer inseam than other denim types? I usually get 30 inch inseam due to my pants being a little slouchy. Would I need maybe a 31 or 32 inseam post soak to account for the thick denim bunching up behind the knees?

Recieved my 500OG this morning. I hope the hassle of german customs was worth it - 1 hours waiting although I was the first one in line, they charged me for 2 weeks of storage, although I got the letter 4 days ago. Just hope it's worth it. I fear that I'll open the bag and find out, that 2nd hemmed them to 79cm, as I had to tell them 6 times what to do and they still didn't seem to get it.

Recieved my 500OG this morning. I hope the hassle of german customs was worth it - 1 hours waiting although I was the first one in line, they charged me for 2 weeks of storage, although I got the letter 4 days ago. Just hope it's worth it. I fear that I'll open the bag and find out, that 2nd hemmed them to 79cm, as I had to tell them 6 times what to do and they still didn't seem to get it.

Wow, German Customs sound like a bunch of cunts. I'm worried now that if you don't like the jeans, your threat to go on a muderous rampage might become a reality. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

While customs is a PITA no matter what, it also really depends on your local customs office if that PITA not only includes the 19% tax but also long waiting times etc., my local office for example had me never waiting for more than 10 minutes while they finish up the paperwork and I've never been hit with something like storage fees.

Finally got the 500OG 16 oz. I love this fit - the 710 felt way to tight and I feel like this one is gonna be perfect after soaking.

Measurements:

W 89 cm

T 33 cm

FR 29 cm

BR 40,5 cm

LO 23 cm

In 89 cm (hemmed)

DSC01369.jpg

DSC01371.jpg

DSC01372.jpg

Lovely Patch and Pocket Bags, and it looks like the murderous rampage has been put on hold...

...for the time being.

Max,

Congrats on the 500-OG 16 oz.  I have the 710OG and love the detailing and denim (deep color, great texture).  I also have the S710XX and S510XX and like them too, for different reasons.  All in size 35, by the way.

Glad you're happy with the fit, at least at this point before soaking or washing.  I noticed the front rise is 29 cm, which translates to about 11.4", which is less high than I thought it would be.  I'm an admittedly high rise guy but would have thought the 500 (size 34) would have had a touch higher rise.

John

A gentle wash might be better to get the shrinkage out, two soaks might have gotten you 3/4 of the total shrinkage. I don't think you Need a longer inseam compared to lighter weight denim, but to be sure, maybe add 1". 2" is too much IMO.

Thanks! After 1 lukewarm and a succeeding cold soak, I lost 2 inches in the inseam (these things were 37.5 inches) and an inch in the waist. I cuffed and found that I need a 31 inseam so I will get these hemmed at 32 inches.

Another question: Will these ever get comfortable? Just getting the jeans past my legs putting these on now is a challenge, and these are far from being too slim or skinny haha

If you lost 2" already, they should not shrink much further, maybe 0,5" or 1" at best if worn very hot and dryed. So 32" sounds reasonable. The 19 oz denim gets more comfy soon, but it still surprised me, that these jeans feel more stubborn than lighterweight denim or in some cases even heavier stuff (IH). They won't be like sweatpants but definitely not like a cardbord neither.

Post soak fit - they're tight in the waist (would have prefered 36" raw), but I'm sure that'll stretch. They're perfect in all other dimensions IMO.
DSC01390.jpg

I didn't take the full measurements, but the leg opening is now a bit above 22 cm and the inseam shrank to 83,5 cm. I'm so happy that I don't have to get them hemmed anymore.

Edited by Max Power