Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

They really do not look like that. At least mine don't. I was wondering why that photo came out like that too tho.

Have the hidden arcs been rubbed by the factory? Looks like the denim is already faded...

Great pair, Cander, still my favorite in the contest. I'll try to post updates soon, too. But life is keeping me pretty busy.

Really liking a lot of the details on these new OG's - especially the patch, although not a fan at all of that green selvedge. The fact they are made of organic cotton is really neither here nor there for me if i'm honest, so struggling to justify paying the (admittedly meagre) extra cost.

That said, although i probably wont bother with the 710's (still got my lot 16's which are doing me proud), does anyone know whats going on with the 0500OG? If the measurements are right i'm sure they could sway me...

Have the hidden arcs been rubbed by the factory? Looks like the denim is already faded...

Nope, I think it was just something about the lighting in the photo or the fact that they were still pretty wet when I took the picture. They look like your normal stealth + hidden arcs!

Post machine wash measurements!

Waist: 18 in.

Front rise: 11.5 in.

Back rise: 15.25 in.

Thigh: 13 in.

Knee: 9.5 in.

Hem: 8.25 in. 

Inseam: 36 in. 

Edited by Broark

Damn, sorry to hear that.  :(

And yes, I put them in for a warm wash after the initial soak.  Just to ensure that all the shrink was gone.

Took them out before the spin cycle but still lost some color on them.  Nothing major.

I think I'm going to wear them to work today, so I'll try to snap some fit pics.

As a teaser here's the little discoloration that occurred after the machine wash:

4q6J3r5.jpg

Very grainy texture and feel, I hope these breathe well!

Interesting measurements Broark.  I have a tag size 35 pair of S710XX that has been hot soaked and machine washed (cold).  Your measurements are smaller than mine despite your 710OG being a size 36.

Broark's size 36 S710OG

Front rise: 11.5"

Back rise: 15.25"

My size 35 S710XX

Front rise:  11.75"

Back rise:  16.0"

Maybe the difference is that I only cold washed mine but I'm wondering if the rise isn't shorter on the OG than the XX.  As tempted as I am by the OG, I prefer longer rises, given my body type and age (59) and stage (as yet unknown ;-)

John

I think I'm going to wear them to work today, so I'll try to snap some fit pics.

As a teaser here's the little discoloration that occurred after the machine wash:

4q6J3r5.jpg

Very grainy texture and feel, I hope these breathe well!

I got the same marbling effect when I washed my S710, but love the look of it now.

The measurements I posted are for the size 36.

They did get a hot soak with agitation and then another hot wash, so I believe I got all the shrink out.

At first the color loss kind of bothered me, then I remembered all the aged photos of how Samurai jeans tend to marble in a very unique way.

I like the cut a lot, I just need them hemmed up so I don't have to wear the thick, bulky cuff.

As some of you know, I'm relatively new to raw denim but have managed to assemble a decent collection in a short time, including Samurai (S710XX), Fullcount (1108XX), Roy (Kinda Special), Iron Heart (634s, 633s, 1955-UHR), 3Sixteen+ 21BSP, and Dry Bones/SE/Sufu collaboration.  I like them all for different reasons.  Some I like better than others.  For example, the Roy Kinda Specials have a nice high rise, sleek, flattering line, and are meticulously stitched and detailed.  The Fullcount 1108XX also has a high rise, along with a classic look and feel.  The Iron Hearts have that rough and tough denim that is protective and fun to wear when the weather and occasion are right.

My question though is whether you agree that there is something unique about the fit and feel of the Samurai 710.  The rise on the S710XX is actually a little lower than I'd prefer (by a hair) but I find this pair of jeans extraordinarily comfortable and body conforming for some reason.  It's almost as if it's rounded and curved in the right places for the human body.  Is there anything to this or am I just blowing smoke?  I do like the 19 oz. denim -- it's heavy yet somehow soft and breathes well.  That said, while the denim is interesting, I wouldn't say I like it more or less than that of my other jeans.  But there is some kind of comfort factor with the S710XX that I feel but don't completely understand.  Is the 710 cut simply different?  Input or explanations appreciated.

John

Nicely put John.

My 710's are not what I would call my 'favourite' jeans, but if I was only allowed to choose one pair to demonstrate to someone what all the fuss is about with (Japanese or any) raw denim, then it would be the 710xx without hesitation.

For me I think it is because everything is spot on or near enough - fit, cut, slub, character, details, construction etc etc. other jeans have 'this' feature but not 'that' feature amazing fabric but wrong fit, excellent details but boring/over ambitious styling. The 710xx seem to just pull it all together somehow and amazingly for all shapes and sizes....

On my first ever post here I mentioned that one of the first raw denim I tried on and was considering purchasing was the 710xx - my reason being that there was 'just something about them' :-)

But I'm a newbie too so, well, who knows eh?!

My 710xx are my best fitting pair of jeans, they're the closest to my ideal cut of all the jeans I own. The weight and character of the denim is perfect, and they fade beautifully. I love the subtlety of the black arcs. There's plenty of things I like about my other jeans, but like @artisandenim said, the 710's have the most perfect or near-perfect attributes.

i received my 710xx from Yuichi today.  Really impressed with the fit after a warm wash.  Gonna put them through another warm/hot wash and get them hemmed up.  I can see why many like the 710 cut.  Thank god it has a respectable rise and is not a low rise.  Its been a while since I have dealt with heavy weight denim, I forgot how much of a PITA the buttons were when new.