Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

could anyone help me with sizing on the S003JP? The 15th Anniversary model in specific.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=14127&category_id=&manufacturer_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62&vmcchk=1

I'm familiar with BiG's measuring methods, just unsure how much this denim will shrink with a thorough wash. I am a true 32 - would a tagged 32 in this model be too large for me? Additionally, the jeans are described as tapered on BiG but slim straight on other sites - any insight into the true fit?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

spython

I'm a true 32 as well, and ended up ordering a 32 in the S003JP Anniv Model. 

As soon as I got themI did a hot soak wearing them (45 min) and they shrunk down snug tight, but loosened up right away after about 2 days wear. 

The waist stretched out to about a 33 after very little wear so I decided to do a hot machine wash as I wanted to get all shrinkage out of the way before sending them back to Blue in Green for Hemming (33 inseam). I got them back a few days ago and have worn them about 3 times since. I wear a belt with these as they are probably at close to a 32.5 waist already.....most important thing with these though is the back rise and upper thigh, these are at 13" back rise and 12" upper thigh. If I sized down to a 31 the waist would be perfect on these but the upper thigh and back rise would be too small, at least for me. Here are 2 pics from today 

IMG_0004_zpsbd119d1c.jpg

IMG_0005_zps96a434c8.jpg

They definitely are loosening up a a bit each time I wear them, and overall I'm very pleased with the fit as this is my very first pair of unsanforized denim.

Hope this helps!

could anyone help me with sizing on the S003JP? The 15th Anniversary model in specific.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=14127&category_id=&manufacturer_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62&vmcchk=1

I'm familiar with BiG's measuring methods, just unsure how much this denim will shrink with a thorough wash. I am a true 32 - would a tagged 32 in this model be too large for me? Additionally, the jeans are described as tapered on BiG but slim straight on other sites - any insight into the true fit?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

Go TTS on them, even after a machine wash the waist will stretch back out to raw measurements fairly quickly. Check my post a few pages back, I listed the pre and post hot machine wash measurements on a size 34 (I'm a 36 waist), you can get a general idea on the shrinkage from that. And they're more of a slim tapered cut than straight. Also make sure the cut is right for you, the thighs on these are pretty slim so if you're a bigger guy a sized down 710 would still look similar but give you a bit of added room. 

Edited by B-Sandy

eocr98 and B-Sandy

thanks both for the pointers. fits look great!

If these jeans stretch back out on the waist I don't think they're a good call for me - I'm currently having issues with the thigh on my FHxRBJ15's which have a 11.4" thigh. Bummer.. particularly liked the details on this model.

Got my redhawk 710s and they are too small. I called the shop 3 times and they told me the waist measured 35" on all 4 pairs they had in stock. So I end up gettimg them cut a few inches. Turns out the waist comes in at just barely 17". They fit too snug pre soak but absolutely no room to stretch afterwards. I'm probably stuck with these after having them altered. I'm bummed. Pics later

I could make this my sig:  I always measure the waist on any jeans I own (and BiG carries) 1" smaller than it is stated on BiG charts.

(I'm just assuming here): maybe they didn't actually measure the pairs again for you but just said "they all measure 35 inch", because they might have measured that on one pair. Who knows.

Got my redhawk 710s and they are too small. I called the shop 3 times and they told me the waist measured 35" on all 4 pairs they had in stock. So I end up gettimg them cut a few inches. Turns out the waist comes in at just barely 17". They fit too snug pre soak but absolutely no room to stretch afterwards. I'm probably stuck with these after having them altered. I'm bummed. Pics later

That's a bummer and makes me a little less likely to ever order from BiG if they are that inconsistent with their measuring, however, I wouldn't give up hope just yet. I recently purchased a pair of the 15th 710's in 34 x 36 from ebay, they were hemmed but unwashed. They were listed at a 35" waist raw, which I though would be perfect, however when I got them on me in the raw I thought they were way to tight and was worried about them after a they got their baptisim. For the first two-ish days after the soak & gentle machine wash they were a bit uncomfortable but they have stretched to the point where I have to wear a belt with them. Also these are 19 ounce, yours are 17 ounce, which I think most Samurai heads would agree are the most "stretchy", so maybe all is not lost after all?

Robert: in my experience, Samurai always stretches to 1" past raw state eventually after wear. If you get stuck with em, you might try the 'wearing em in the tub and takin em for a stroll while drying' method... I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up near 35 after that.

What is the presoak inseam? 34 is a desirable size you might be able to sell em easy.

@coldstorage

I tried them on and they fit how I wanted them to fit post cold soak, snug. The waist is absolute 34" which affects the thigh measurement even though slightly. I bought them taking stretch into account. I called BIG this morning and emailed Gordon with measurement pics. Hopefully he can help me

@501xx

The last thing I want is to put BIG on blast and give them a faulty rep. I think maybe it was a misunderstanding or maybe an oversight on their part. I've ordered from them in the past (710xxW34) and everything worked out.

The inseam is 37.25... A little over an inch cutoff. Not even 1.5

Based on my past few purchases of recent models (S500XX-15th, S526VX-L-15th, S5000VX-15th) you should have no problem stretching them 1-2" past original waist measurement.

Easiest way was to stretch them while wet right after soaking/washing.

Based on my past few purchases of recent models (S500XX-15th, S526VX-L-15th, S5000VX-15th) you should have no problem stretching them 1-2" past original waist measurement.

Easiest way was to stretch them while wet right after soaking/washing.

Wait a minute there Foxy, you have the S526VX-L-15th and you're only mentioning it now???

SPILL. THE. BEANS.

Also, please post some photos. :D :D :D

pics incoming by i washed my size 32 15th anniversary 710s a second time, on hot this time, and they continued to shrink a good bit more. All shrinkage should be out of the way now and the fit is spot on. haven't had an unsanforized pair since the eternal contest so i'm quite looking forward to breaking these in.

Wait a minute there Foxy, you have the S526VX-L-15th and you're only mentioning it now???

SPILL. THE. BEANS.

I forgot...will do.

SPILL. THE. BEANS.

Yup, that caught my attention too. Would love to see some pics. Been lusting after them pretty hard myself but I had already reserved the S634XX-15th with Yuichi and they are so similar its hard to justify.*

*(although... the fact they are so similar would really help in sneaking a new pair past the wife)

Yup, that caught my attention too. Would love to see some pics. Been lusting after them pretty hard myself but I had already reserved the S634XX-15th with Yuichi and they are so similar its hard to justify.*

*(although... the fact they are so similar would really help in sneaking a new pair past the wife)

hahaha just a convo between a man and a wife.

"you bought another jeans?!?!"

"no dear, this is samurai and those are levi's, they're the same, no new ones" 

Gordons customer service is above and beyond.

Before calling me he emails me detailed pics of the last 3 redhawks in my size. Waist and thigh taped up. He goes on to apologize and stresses he doesn't want his customers to be stuck with jeans that don't fit. Even after the inch hem job. At this point he reconciles "its not a matter who's right or wrong". From here he got me thinkin, damn, did I measure them correctly? Lol. Anyway, he gonna let me swap em out and Im psyched.

In the future I will get my jeans hemmed locally just in case they don't fit. Learning lesson.

Thank you Gordon and BIG staff.

Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to 710 sizing?

I'm thinking about getting a pair of the 15th anniversary ones from Pirates, the stealth arcs are really tempting me.

I'm not familiar with Samurai shrinkage upon soak or anything like that, so any basic guidelines would be helpful.

rule of thumb I got, and worked out in sizing my 710s, was that post wash/soak, you can expect them to stretch back out to original measurements.  my 710 black hawks were tagged a 35, measured a 35.5" waist initially, and after one hot wash/hang dry, one cold wash/hang dry and ~2 weeks of wear, are at about 36" (based on feel, haven't measured).

was a little freaked after trying them on post wash/dry given how snug they were, but as suspected, they stretched    

I could make this my sig:  I always measure the waist on any jeans I own (and BiG carries) 1" smaller than it is stated on BiG charts.

(I'm just assuming here): maybe they didn't actually measure the pairs again for you but just said "they all measure 35 inch", because they might have measured that on one pair. Who knows.

I really stressed the thigh being 13" too. Actual measurement is 12.75. I know the return policy says unaltered merchandise but I'm hoping they can make an exception. We will see

your best bet for sizing input is emailing gordon directly.  calling the store you're likely to get one of the SAs who may or may not be helpful (I've had both).  that said, sizing on the pairs I've bought from BiG has been consistent with what was listed on the site.  obviously, there's slight differences from pair to pair, and .25" deviations are to be expected.  if you're really insistent on a specific measurement, you can ask them to measure multiple pairs and send the pair with the measurement you want (eg, 13" thigh if there's any variation).  again, depends on the SA you get though. 

edit:  and just noticed your most recent post...glad things worked out for you.  :)

Edited by superego