Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

17 degrees in Summer? Man...

I once walked about 10 miles out in the open sun during the Australian summer in my 19oz 710bk - it was 46 degrees Celsius.

It was the day when I decided I will never buy another pair of denim more than 19oz in weight!

I know, get it man, before they run out of stock :)

@ mike & b_F- 17 degrees is a cold winter's day here, it's usually warmer than that even during winter. this last summer i even struggled with 14oz :P i was half-thinking of grabbing the s710, but it might only get dragged out for a few months a year at that weight (and i know the s0500 is lighter but i don't wanna double up on the texas cotton).

So I just asked Sandy and here's what she replied about the 24oz RHT:

I remember when they released the 510XX Lot 10. 21oz RHT and because of the ferocious strain on the machines, Samurai would never make that denim again!!! Then came the S5000VX 21oz. then the re-release of the 510 and the release of the S0500XX 21oz collab (2nd) and then the re-release of the S5000VX and then the S4000VX 21oz then the re-re-release of the 510 again. I'm sitting at home with my pair of 'never to be done again' 21oz going... dayum!

No plans to remake the RHT now, but still, I'm thinking it gives me time to save up when they do. I'm also thinking that the LHT is going to be a one-off like the old 505 denim (only reason why I bought the USA model).

Unfortunately where I am, even 21oz is too heavy for winter...

Last time I checked, you're not living in the California Badlands :rolleyes:;)

I sure didn't miss my 19oz 710s midwinter (July) this year when it was like 2-4C in Parramatta at 9.30pm. I've been wearing my 21oz IHSB non stop since purchase, and I wore my 710s all throughout the summer of 2007 when I first purchased them, only gave them up when I got my SExIH later. I usually don't leave the house in anything under 15oz for 3 out of 4 NSW seasons. Last summer (2009) I did the whole season in PBJ neo vintage (which is a 13.5oz - I think). I wear shorts if I'm going to go swimming. Otherwise, it's jeans or moleskins.

Haha, good man indigo_junkie!

I just can't handle anything above 19oz, even in Melbourne's winter - my next pair of Samurai's would probably be the 18oz Texas cotton cinch-back or one of the 17 oz Book of Five Ring special editions...

Oh and I'm with you. I don't like / not be impressed by the denim of the LVC I own

Have you seen the LVC MiJ denim, it is much better? The US LVC is like the blue paper.

How does the Samurai 24 ozs compare to say the IH heavyweight denim? I understand it is very slubby and rough?

And here a little preview on the AW 2010: Most models are out but still some nice pics. Esp the one with the nearly black weft and golden selvage line. ight be the 'void'? Check the bottom

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=de&ie=UTF-8&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://spiral-jeans.com/sa-aw-10-saj.htm&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.de&usg=ALkJrhie3d3gO5nwujBw9Ogk0FYRM97Hwg

I think that the dark grey (ink) dyed weft ones are the s5000gx-s (the fifth and final book), while the black weft ones appear to be a new addition to the 5 book jeans series (excluding the jackets)—the s634gx.

Having now seen all of the wefts, I think that I am still going to get the Wind model, the green is just too damn cool. Might pull the trigger on the Fire model jacket, and the black weft of the s634gx and details are awfully tempting too.. *eagerly awaiting more details*

Mmm...the model doesn't seem to be on 2nd or Samurai's websites - they usually put them up before anybody else. I don't think Spiral was supposed to show them this early? I would be interested in knowing the price - if anybody has inside info ;)

Got to say though, blue and black seems an odd combo - I guess time will tell.

How does the Samurai 24 ozs compare to say the IH heavyweight denim? I understand it is very slubby and rough?

24oz LHT is slubbier than 21oz IH but not as slubby as the Samurai 21oz (or by relation, the 24oz RHT). It's actually quite different to anything Sam has produced in the past.

Snapped those fit pics last night. Samurai 710 tagged 34x36 hemmed 2" off the length pre-soak. Hot soaked for about an hour, drip dried for 20 min then machine dried on hot for around 30 min. Soaked again then hung dry. Happy with them, but like the Jins I think I'm going to wish I went up at least one more size in the long run. Will edit this post with measurements pre and post shrinkage for reference when find my tape measure(think my girl nabbed it to go furniture shopping). Excuse the dusty mirror and camera photos.

dirtymirror710.jpg

Snapped those fit pics last night. Samurai 710 tagged 34x36 hemmed 2" off the length pre-soak. Hot soaked for about an hour, drip dried for 20 min then machine dried on hot for around 30 min. Soaked again then hung dry. Happy with them, but like the Jins I think I'm going to wish I went up at least one more size in the long run. Will edit this post with measurements pre and post shrinkage for reference when find my tape measure(think my girl nabbed it to go furniture shopping). Excuse the dusty mirror and camera photos.

dirtymirror710.jpg

Farmer, they look the perfect size imho and it sounds like your soaking/drying combo will have dealt with most of the shrinkage other than some more in the length

edit: I do sag, but in that pic no belt true waist 32 jean waist 34= alota sag. I'm 6'3". They were not 36" to begin with as tagged. They were actually almost 39.5" so they were still 37.5" before soaking.

^if they are anything like my other Sams they'll just keep on shrinking for awhile. Especially when machine washing comes into play. Used to buy Sams in a 30x34 and they would fit me fine until a few washes later. Now every time I dry my 5000cx or vx I have to make sure the waist and thigh area doesn't shrink too much by stretching them out as the dry. If I didn't babysit them while they were drying I'm pretty sure they would be unwearable by me. Kind of a hassle. Want a pair I can just throw in the dryer and not worry about a year or two down the road.:)

Farmer

Will you take a full length photo with your shirt tucked in with those jeans. I am 6'3" as well and the descriptions of S denim are getting to be too much. I may have to order a pair. But I would like to see what these look like on a 6'3" frame.

Thanks

24oz LHT is slubbier than 21oz IH but not as slubby as the Samurai 21oz (or by relation, the 24oz RHT). It's actually quite different to anything Sam has produced in the past.

that's what I noticed from the pics. The 24oz LHT looks very clean and regular. That's something I don't like that much. Of course I don't want a Texas Cotton slub but some imperfections add more character (though the 24oz should be already enough character)

Word, my 710s took about three soaks to go from baggy to the perfect size. After a cold wash they are borderline too small :(

edit: I do sag, but in that pic no belt true waist 32 jean waist 34= alota sag. I'm 6'3". They were not 36" to begin with as tagged. They were actually almost 39.5" so they were still 37.5" before soaking.

^if they are anything like my other Sams they'll just keep on shrinking for awhile. Especially when machine washing comes into play. Used to buy Sams in a 30x34 and they would fit me fine until a few washes later. Now every time I dry my 5000cx or vx I have to make sure the waist and thigh area doesn't shrink too much by stretching them out as the dry. If I didn't babysit them while they were drying I'm pretty sure they would be unwearable by me. Kind of a hassle. Want a pair I can just throw in the dryer and not worry about a year or two down the road.:)