goldengloves

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Her eye is 2 much chinky

i think they're part of her charm 
nowadays, it's rare to see a chinese model achieve the level of success she has with such delicate, neotenous features
liu wen, ming xi, shu pei, etc. are on the masculine side with very robust faces

i'd like to think she's a refreshing taste of east asia's cultural standards for beauty, but am i underestimating that lot's infatuation with bug-eyed girls whose greatest assets are shaved jaws and dopey expressions?

8qK1KR1.png

bd2IQaK.png

ltq5BzB.png

SPm29FS.png

FlbmQ9U.jpg

i'd like to think she's a refreshing taste of east asia's cultural standards for beauty, but am i underestimating that lot's infatuation with bug-eyed girls whose greatest assets are shaved jaws and dopey expressions?

No offence, but you sound like the whitest guy alive judging "cultural standards for beauty" you don't seem to know so much about.

I think part of the attraction of models is that they do not fully conform to "standard" expectations, but look extra-ordinary. The other type of girls you talk about (or rather the other type of look) is a completely different aesthetic register, if you will. 

No offence, but you sound like the whitest guy alive judging "cultural standards for beauty" you don't seem to know so much about.

I think part of the attraction of models is that they do not fully conform to "standard" expectations, but look extra-ordinary. The other type of girls you talk about (or rather the other type of look) is a completely different aesthetic register, if you will. 

do i? embarrassingly enough, i think i do sound like someone, but that's not who i had in mind

A few months ago TI had occasion to be at a dinner with Mrs Cheung in Beijing where the very direct and no-nonsense editor posed some thought provoking questions. She wanted to know what was it that could be done to boost the number of Chinese models on the Western market. And she was curious as why the Chinese models who did seem to advance on the campaign and editorial level seemed so far from the current Chinese cultural standard of beauty.

http://www.theimagist.com/node/6444

https://twitter.com/angelica_cheung

i think they're part of her charm 
nowadays, it's rare to see a chinese model achieve the level of success she has with such delicate, neotenous features
liu wen, ming xi, shu pei, etc. are on the masculine side with very robust faces

8qK1KR1.png

serious?   i think she reaches her level of popularity because of her "exotic looks".  she is super cute but because she is do different than those Korean idols she has that international appeal that those dancers do not have.  That is the whole Lucy Liu debate, she just looks so different that dudes love her.  Kelly Hu doesn't have that fanbase.

Edited by Desi

do i? embarrassingly enough, i think i do sound like someone, but that's not who i had in mind

http://www.theimagist.com/node/6444

https://twitter.com/angelica_cheung

First of all, I never thought I'd ever read something that actually starts with "Did you hear that very juicy tidbit".. 

I really don't mean to give you a hard time, especially since you seem like you might be easily offended, but I think you failed to get what I mean. It's seemed a little ignorant to presuppose one monolithic standard of beauty (for all of East Asia even), by mixing up idols, fashion models, and general notions of what makes an attractive woman. It's like asking why there's a difference between Kate Upton and a skinny fashion model, and why both of them don't look like attractive women in everyday life. 

Edited by digitalmountain

why not just answer here then?

although i wouldn't mind going on about myself if this was one of the threads for just shooting the shit, it seems inappropriate in one with a clear topic

First of all, I never thought I'd ever read something that actually starts with "Did you hear that very juicy tidbit".. 

I really don't mean to give you a hard time, especially since you seem like you might be easily offended, but I think you failed to get what I mean. It's seemed a little ignorant to presuppose one monolithic standard of beauty (for all of East Asia even), by mixing up idols, fashion models, and general notions of what makes an attractive woman. It's like asking why there's a difference between Kate Upton and a skinny fashion model, and why both of them don't look like attractive women in everyday life. 

isn't life full of surprises? i never thought i'd be accused of sounding like the whitest guy alive for essentially paraphrasing a middle-aged chinese woman, but here we are

why you think i've ever said there is a single, clean-cut standard is beyond me
i feel like a lot of my posts can get too lengthy already, but the torrents of conjecture i'm met with make me wonder if i have to go into every little detail to avoid a misunderstanding

i'm not oblivious to the different types of models, and i'm not oblivious to the parallels there are to be drawn between kate upton and a fashion model or xiao wen ju and a korean idol (although i wasn't referring specifically to koreans or idols earlier)
with all their differences, you can still identify fundamental similarities
xiao wen in particular has the very childish, feminine look that we tend to see more often in asian media, and this becomes especially obvious when she's alongside her peers

haha, you really are pretty contentious and irritable.

The text you linked/quoted before doesn't exactly firmly support your own claim. I guess the "torrents of conjecture" you're met with are mostly due to your reasoning being all over the place. 

I'd like to leave it at that, I'm not really interested in any kind of argument with you.  

haha, you really are pretty contentious and irritable.

The text you linked/quoted before doesn't exactly firmly support your own claim. I guess the "torrents of conjecture" you're met with are mostly due to your reasoning being all over the place. 

I'd like to leave it at that, I'm not really interested in any kind of argument with you.  

then at the risk of sounding crazed, i'm going to address a few things in your post even though i can't expect a response

contentious? definitely! irritable? you could have gotten away with calling me irritating, but i haven't been offended or irritated by our conversation, and i sincerely hope you weren't either
i have been confronted, and i don't mind greeting people with a thorough and direct explanation of my position when they confront me with opposing views
in my last post, i established that your initial dispute relied on putting some rather extreme words in my mouth, so maybe that can tell you a bit about your perception of my reasoning

you're mistaken if you think i linked the article to lend any support to any claim i've made; i linked the article because i thought your description of me was just funny given the circumstances
to be honest, i've been thinking of my comments as observations rather than claims, and the observations aren't novel at all
the phenomena they describe have surely been recognized and more thoroughly analyzed by many people before me
xiao wen has very childlike features, most of her chinese peers don't, and while i never said that east asia is a single entity with a single set of preferences, the consumers there have a greater appreciation for childlike features than consumers from other areas do
if you can find a claim in there that needs support beyond what's plain to see in my previous posts and the world itself, then i'll be very impressed