should clopek go back to university

broneck

Should Clopek re-enroll?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should Clopek re-enroll?

i'm currently doing boring menial tasks at a financial institution that shall remain unnamed.

I paused my education because a.) I failed too many courses for spending money (both mine and my parents) to be reasonable and b.) I was failing because I was so fed up with the bullshit I had to endure in the English/cultural studies program at Mac.

also, I'm not sure about hypermasculinity...is this another shot at my neck?

dont go back to school if you have the slightest of doubt you'll just end up wasiting money again.

or switch program.

I fucked up that opportunity, and no longer have the luxury. I was a bitch in third year, and as such I'm in the predicament (wow, I don't really know how to spell that word) of being in a mediocre job with potential (but only potential) of forward movement...so I'm unsure of whether to bail on this job and pursue education, or stick with my (possibly) shitty job.

depends on your priorities and what you want out of life. if it's money, whether to give yourself (or your parents) a better life, then go back to school.

if you are fine just living normally then keep doing what you're doing; by this i mean, if you're making enough money to keep yourself satisfied, then either/or

personally, i think that it's well worth it to invest the money in school for the future. but, if you decide to go back to school, even though you are well into your program, you may want to consider switching over to something more prospective.

for instance, i am in nuclear engineering, not because it's the coolest thing in the world, but because of the industry's promising future; you may be surprised as to just how much a nuclear engineer makes (@ Bruce Power / OPG), and it helps that many of the current ones are old/retiring

I get confused by this frequently on the internet, but apparently people from other countries refer to "going to college" as "going to university". Somebody even tried to explain to me that theres a difference some places between college and university.

In the US since theres really no difference, that would be broken english... other places it actually makes sense.

well, i'm in america and went to a state university which was made up of different colleges--the college i was enrolled under was liberal arts and sciences. ...and then there are colleges that exist outside of the larger university institution.

go to college when you know what you want to do--or audit a shitload of classes (at my old uni anyone w/ 25$ could take a class for no credit) to figure out what you like. don't waste your money, but don't get trapped in your shitty job for 5 or even 10+ years because its safe and all that...and even then, trying out different jobs is better than staying in one place or floundering in undergrad. and if you got to have a shitty job and kinda want to go back to school--work for a university (you get to go back to school for free).

well, i'm in america and went to a state university which was made up of different colleges--the college i was enrolled under was liberal arts and sciences. ...and then there are colleges that exist outside of the larger university institution.

I have degrees in Economics from a college of a arts and sciences and a business degree from a college of business administration all within a larger university. So I understand what you're saying, but we also have colleges in this country that would offer the same curriculum and degrees and just refer to the different "colleges" as departments. So theres really not the huge curriculum/prestige difference between University and College here in the US as there is in the outside world.

Hopefully that clarifies my point.

I think the kneejerk reaction that you absolutely have to go to college to make a contribution to society or to live a happy life absolutely vile. If learning in an institutional environment isn't something that makes you happy then don't do it, read and think on your own. If you feel you need a degree to get a big job to make big money to make yourself happy then do it. Can you take the time that college could be wasting and make it into useful time?

^Ever seen the movie Accepted? Sometimes I feel like I if I had just taken the money I paid for college and simply used it elsewhere in the pursuit of my interests I would have accomplished a lot more than the academic setting allowed me.

Hey Clopek, where'd you go to school?

Also, can anybody give any guidance as to requirements/how hard it is to get into University of Toronto's commerce program...

I slacked off the first two and a half years of high school, and now I want to start actually trying... if anyone could provide me with some advice, that'd be great... in terms of marks, courses to take, extracurricular shit, etc...

I spent most of my high school summers getting shipped off to summer programs where I had to stay in college dorms and I got good practice at getting everyone all riled up and being social, but I was still unsure about how my college dorm life was gonna be... turned out to be so fucking magic, that year would be in my top 5 years of life thus far.

I got my own off campus flat by 2nd year but I regret not having dormed it that second year, would've probably kept me a bit more sane and I'd have a bigger friend base as moving out makes you lazy socially.

I had to kick around a 5th year to get my BA and spaced like 20 credits over 2 semesters, had lots of downtime the last year.

Best stuff to do was to go to my 8:30am lecture and get that done with, maybe walk around campus a bit and laugh at all the haggard kids crawling around in pajamas. I'd hop in the car and do a quick little spin to get the lead out, and grab my breakfast and come home and crack a beer by 10am, sort through my days stuff and lie down for my nap with my nap partner if she wasn't in lecture or surf the net a little, wake up by 1 or 2 again and go get lunch and see if people wanted to hit the pub patios with me for the afternoon. Brought my bookbag up to the bar but never got anything done, you can't study over pints but I tried everyday, haha. Evening lecture if I could be fucked, maybe get a BBQ going after with everyone, hit the pub again, maybe parties if it was the right day of the week..

Once you're out of college you don't get those opportunities to lay down on any given weekday in the afternoon sun at 2pm and have those quiet moments, laying there on your side stroking some fine little 18 year old's taut breasts, knowing there's nothing pressing to do for the rest of the day; having the ability to turn off the TV, lock the door, and turn off your cell phones and be free to enjoy the moment, that is why college will always be the best time of your life.

I'm guessing you haven't been reading superconfessional lately.

thorns , u still can now do that now that you are out of college, though now u might be broke, jaded and older :(

You know me too well! It just so happens I'm all three of those things now.

This is from a guy who has been in uni for like 6 years...(not because I am retarded and fail...it's by choice) It is definitely worth it in the long run to get at least one degree. You already have a bit of money, you can only go so far without an education unless you are already well off. And if you don't go back you will probably regret it, that is why I keep going back.

I would ask this question to you....

Do you like learning?

If you do then I would go back. I always just liked learning and knowing about the things I was interested in. Plus it gives you some time to figure out what you want to do. I went into my first undergrad and finished a science degree thinking med school, but then I changed my mind, went back and finished a second major in music. After that, i did some legal research as a summer job and really enjoyed it, so I applied to law school and that is what I'll be doing next year. I am not in a rush to get out and make money while doing something I am not sure I want to do.

Look at where you want to be in 5 years, and if you don't know what you want to do then go back because before you know it 10 years will have gone by and you'll be at the same job.

all the same, i wouldn't ever want to be a perpetual student. this year i have to bust my ass to make up for the three courses i had to drop after i broke my skull last year without having to resort to summer courses, but i'm glad to do it because i want the fuck out of my BA by the end of next year. i'm currently tossing up on honours but unless it entails $5000 (AUD) worth of actual influence on my employability after getting a JD or similar postgrad in another field, i'll probably not bother. so far the only definite factor in its favour is that i'll be able to start a PhD at 21, but, like i said, i don't want to be a permanent student, so i guess i'll have to see how that pans out. so, clopek, as far as tertiary education/no more tertiary education goes, you should ask yourself: 1. do you really want it? 2. can you really afford it? 3. is it really necessary?

because like people say, just because you can go doesn't mean you should, but likewise, just because you don't have to go doesn't mean you shouldn't.

i'm currently tossing up on honours but unless it entails $5000 (AUD) worth of actual influence on my employability after getting a JD or similar postgrad in another field, i'll probably not bother. so far the only definite factor in its favour is that i'll be able to start a PhD at 21, but, like i said, i don't want to be a permanent student, so i guess i'll have to see how that pans out.

This is ridiculous, starting your PhD at 21? haha, Americans can't fathom that, which brings me to my point... which is that you lot outside of America can be in and out in 3 years if you want to!! If Clopek already has a year of credits then it's not quite the same as if he were an American with inevitable 4.5/5 years to finish...