Supertalk's effect on sales and trends

beezen

Circa, et al. talking about Diesel losing its way - the new collection, especially the womens that i saw in their shop in Seoul [was just there last week and we don't have diesel in China yet so this might be old news] was looking much, much better than anything I've seen from them in years. Brands have a funny way of being cyclic like that.

sorry for continuing this run off-topic...

I think that this board certainly has some bearing on jean prices on ebay. I know that before everybody was talking about nudies on here, pairs of regular raph dry selvedge would regularly go for $150-180 CAD. Now they are easily past $200 US. May have to do with the price rise in North America, or their general blow up. I noticed a similar trend with APC, and when everybody was flaming Evisu, prices seemed to dip. I could be wholly wrong though...

Quote:

In regards to Diesel attepmting to recapture their following... They already are. Newest collection is supposed to be their first attempt at a more back to basics approach. Better quality construction, materials etc., and also higher pricepoints. Supposedly they're even attempting to scale down production and lowering distribution to select boutiques.

Edited by Circa on Sep 14, 2005 at 10:16 PM

--- Original message by Circa on Sep 14, 2005 10:14 PM

The question is, can the brand regain credibility? Even if they ditch the over-detailed, random-looking styles they've been churning out recently, will people who used to wear Diesel and moved on come back?

On the other hand, does it matter? There are probably plenty of people who never knew Diesel as an innovator.

Why are we talking about this here instead of the Diesel thread? lol

As a shop owner and relatively new to SF I have found this site to be informative and funny as hell sometimes. I am always looking for the new small companies (Temple effectives for instance) the denim info is interesting but has'nt changed my buy for the shop because I know my customers and nobody is gonna rock APC in my town, but mostly I have a different market than what is mentioned on this site most of the time and I have a concept for my shop. I'd like to see more companies mentioned than Supreme,Bape and Nudie. I'll try and make more posts mentioning brands people might not have heard of in the future and hopefully more people will do the same to help out the little guys out there. Anyone know of QWST they are swiss I think and have some interesting stuff not available in the US yet but I might have some sent to sell, let me know what ya think

pancho give us a heads up w/photos.

as for diesel, their male collection is complete rubbish right now, russian theme now western theme?? what the fuck they thinking, i remember after that industrial theme everything going to shite. womens collections have always been great, its the men;s dept where they kinda dropped.

Just a note about diesel. My wife Has a womens shop and we carried it for about 5 yrs and they killed it but then they got all proud of their shit and had huge minimums for denim and then you had to carry their fashion line also with a huge min. not aloud to do just what you wanted and when they would intro ugly as hell lines you were stuck. If you did'nt carry fashion you don't get denim. They also started opening all their own stores and stopped opening boutique stores so to me they started becoming a franchise type company and lost a lot of their cool factor.

I think companies should support the boutiques that got them started in the first place is all

I'm saying. Growth is inevitible(sic?) once a company hits the dept store they have to be carefull. A lot of companies don't sell their complete lines to them and let small shops carry more unique hard to find or limited product and I think everyone on this site agrees because you don't want some chump to stumble upon something in the dept store because that can kill a look or a style or a brand for that matter. It has happened too many times. Think of all the brands that lost their cache because they slutted themselves out and left their core customers behind completely. Then these companies get bought and 10yrs down the line it's reissued as a retro cool brand again, some pull this off well but most suck at it. As far as markup diesel is the same as everyone,no raping goin'on