Helmut Lang S/S 08

homi29

The folks behind Habitual, the denim brand, were installed as creative directors in May of '06. Lang himself has been out of the picture for a few years, after a couple of struggles for creative control with the Prada group. The earlier stuff with the Colovos at the helm were actually pretty okay, but it's definitely been getting farther and farther away from what Lang himself saw as the label's creative vision.

Like I was telling Westside a while back, I still think the gladiator sandals are cool but you got to have mad pretty feet to pull those things off, and I don't know about you guys, but I would not describe my feet as "pretty."

I might end up going for a pair eventually anyway, they're the only kind of shoe that seems to make sense with my planned "classy pajamas for wearing out of the home" outfit.

Yes, yes, it's not true Lang. Yes, it is made in China (that irks me). Nevertheless, the stuff is made fairly well, and a couple pieces are actually quite nice. What's nicer is that essentially everything in the entire store (in San Fran at least) goes to 60% off. The retail prices are outrageous, but at 60% off some of the things are worth it.

60% would probably overcome my biases because it seems like there's usually at least a piece or two I'd fuck with at those prices.

same for me. I look at the stuff with a crooked face but there are some nice things there. a lot of stuff at the Melrose store was half off making several pieces quite a bit more interesting, didn't end up buying anything though.

i may be a little bit biased because hl was my favorite designer in the mid-late 90s but i don't think the new stuff is worth it even at reduced price - the quality of the construction and fabric is garbage & those two characteristics are fundamental to the success of minimal pieces. otherwise you have straight up h&m / zara trash. back in the day the casual basics were well made, even if at a slightly elevated price point (which is looking like a downright bargain these days).

• 4 months later...