british television

ghostdeini

Anybody here watch British television? I'm fortunate enough to have found a torrent site strictly for shows from the UK. For me, it all started out with Skins. The show is kind of corny, but good in its own way.

Thennn... I moved into comedy with Little Britain, and most recently, The Mighty Boosh (see below) -- my favorite show thus far. so with that in mind, can I get some recommendations?

themightybooshpromotionex4.jpg

edit: for whatever reason, I really dislike comedy shows with audience laugh tracks... so unless it is something I absolutely should not miss, don't bother recommending any shows that fall into this category. thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often watch Jonathan Ross on Friday night, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Mock the Week, Little Britain, the Culture Show, Top Gear, Match of the Day and a lot of great documentaries.

I get all the BBC channels through digital cable, so I end up watching more BBC than Dutch TV.

Later.. with Jools Holland has to be the best television program in the world. If anybody can help me find a torrent site with this, you wil be blessed with my eternal gratefulness.

Never Mind the Buzzcocks

QI

Have I Got News for You

Can't get enough of these panel shows.

Also:

The Royle Family

Peep Show

The Office

Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps

and if you're into improvisational comedy and roleplay stuff, you've probably seen the american version of Whose Line is it Anyway, but the british one is hilarious too.

For stand-up stuff check out:

Bill Bailey (my absolute favourite)

Ricky Gervais

Ross Noble

Jimmy Carr

It's all about Only Fools and Horses. Have always, and will always love this show. Porridge is another favourite.

For newer shows I think Shameless is very good although tailed off recently, as was Spaced, while mkei's suggestions of Qi, Buzzcocks and Have I got news for you are all good for a laugh, but i guess we have a different perspective on it living over here?

mrip is on the money too, more classic british stuff.

For newer shows I think Shameless is very good although tailed off recently, as was Spaced, while mkei's suggestions of Qi, Buzzcocks and Have I got news for you are all good for a laugh, but i guess we have a different perspective on it living over here?

I often wonder about this too. There are Dutch versions of the Buzzcocks and Have I Got News, but I don't find them funny at all. Is that because I'm Dutch/not British? In the same way I enjoy watching Letterman, but I can imagine watching it as an American is just.. boring?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention stand-up comedy. Jack Dee, Live at the Apollo was great. I also enjoyed Billy Connolly. Is it true that only middle-aged women go to his shows? I missed Bill Bailey.

thanks for all the recommendations. I snatched up the 1st season of Peep Show and Spaced

and magnetic, thanks for reminding me of phoenix nights. I was in London when the first episode premiered and I thought it was hilarious. Of course, that was a while ago and I was much younger... but hopefully it held its charm

while mkei's suggestions of Qi, Buzzcocks and Have I got news for you are all good for a laugh, but i guess we have a different perspective on it living over here?

Yeah, some types of comedy just don't strike a cord with certain cultures I guess. Buzzcocks definitely captures something here though because it's so damn popular, especially among young people. People are always talking about on friday at college.. (before the series had finished that was).

Ahh.. how could I have forgotten The IT Crowd? One of my absolute favourites, good suggestions Magnetic. Father Ted is also amazing.

Edit -

Ignore this suggestion. This show is the worst thing in the history of everything.

:/ I think it can be pretty funny. Ralf Little is an awesome comedy actor and he was great in The Royle Family too.

It's not amazing by any means, but certainly not "the worst thing in the history of everything"!

P.S. did anyone see the buzzcocks best bits? That was so funny...

have you guys seens Extras? i watched some of the first season last night, it has got to be one of the best shows i've seen, extremely funny and witty. Ricky Gervais is masterful. if you like the office (british or american) or curb your enthusiasm then i think you'll find this show really funny. check it out!

Top Gear is the best show that north america doesn't get to see, and those guys definitely have the greatest job on the planet.

Too bad Clarkson's such a prick ... they do produce some excellent tv though. Know so many people (like myself) who are entertained by the show and have zero intertest in cars. Stunts like driving to the North Pole and trying to drive across the Channel help.

Clarkson got pwned recently after he ranted about identity theft and bank fraud in his sunday paper column. He argued it was all a fuss about nothing and then to illustrate his point published his full bank account details and home address.

Which was all great and fine until his next bank statement arrived and he found out someone had untraceably set up an irreversible £500 direct debit from his account to a British diabetes charity.

Clarkson may be a prick but people love him (including me :D)

The thing is like chino said, they entertain even people with zero interest in cars, and all of the presenters (including captain slow) are pretty damn funny. Hell, i even thing the Stig is one of the funniest silent characters ever, was pretty funny seeing the African Stig too (that episode made me piss myself with laughter).

Anything from Chris Morris (as most people here have said). Enjoy most of Steve Coogans stuff like I'm Alan Partridge, but I think those living outside Norfolk probably wouldn't get it as much as those who do.

Don't think any ones mentioned The Peep Show and The Mitchell and Webb Look.

For older stuff there's The League of Gentlemen and Big Train.

If we're looking at "gameshows" then certainly Nevermind the Buzzcocks is good as well as Have I got news for you (a more topical gameshow).

thats not true :D