thomas_highstreet

korea :: seoul :: general

denim shops in seoul or busan anyone?? or any other store guide? i'll be going to the big markets as well but i'm keen to check out some nice boutique stores

jeans here are overpriced.

I'm gonna be in America :P

=( who will watch me chug soju and piss on cars?

jeans here are overpriced.

word, no point visiting bouqitue style stores then?

eg. APC's NS cost 258,000 won @ A-land.

Korea has some nice domestic design. check that out instead

Anyone with success stories for harddrive data recovery in Seoul? My MacBook harddrive died and the cost quoted for recovery in the states was rather ridiculous. I am going to Seoul at the end of July for two weeks, though, and was hoping that I might have better luck price-wise over there.

Get cracked software and I'll lend you a disk reader or spare pc to hook it up in if you want.

I imagine services wouldn't be that expensive but no idea of actual price

I appreciate the offer! Seems like it is mechanical failure, though, which should be a big headache. I guess I'll just bring it along with me on my trip and see what I find.

yeah, i know youve been in town before so might be a bit obvious but im sure the yongsan bro's could sort it out quick fast...

probably swap the disks into a working hdd and spin it up that way. fuck knows.

probably cost 4-6manwon (wild guess though)

Back to the question if my swedish iphone 4 will work in Korea. I bought a Gevey Simcard to unlock my phone yesterday.

check this video:

Works great. If I buy a simcard in a random store it would operate without any problem, right? Hope someone could clear this out :)

they don't really sell SIMs in Korea as they do in other countries - you need to do some paperwork and it's a hassle to get your phone to work in Korea - enough so that most people just get a local phone, which are expensive in their own right. Most foreign people do not have iPhones for this very reason, a Korean iPhone will cost you $600-1000 and you've got to use it for a year.

Ok so the paperwork is not an option at all? If a get a korean friend to buy a simcard for me? Would that work?

again, sell you iphone and buy a korean one when you get here. do the same when you leave.

alot of foreigners leaving korea and want people to take over their contracts etc. - craigslist.

Ok will definitely try that! another question: a friend told me that is it hard to find shoes in bigger sizes like 43 and up. Is that true?

I am a 43/10.5 and I have had no problems in the few places I have gone to for shoes.

43 isn't hard to find. anything over is.

korean dudes are like 40-42 on average.

welcome to the seoul boyz klub <3

Hey guys new to sufu. I'm a 20 year old venturing to Yonsei University to study for a year abroad. I have to apply as a citizen to go to school there since my dad became a us citizen and I can't apply for a d-2 visa. Anyhow, what should I expect there for fun? (shopping- what are some good places to shop at, not bullshit fake stuff from dongdaemun) Also, job wise, is it hard to find a job there? Thanks.

you don't need to apply as a citizen unless you are a citizen, who told you that? If you have a US passport you can get an F4 visa. You can't get a decent job there without a degree.

if your studying at yonsei they will support your student visa anyway right?

not sure if you can work on it or not, but probably. check the visa listings on korean gov. site.

you don't need to apply as a citizen unless you are a citizen, who told you that? If you have a US passport you can get an F4 visa. You can't get a decent job there without a degree.

Well, 1. I have to be 21 to apply for a f-4 visa.

2. Since my father became a dual citizen AFTER I was born, my only choice (according to both the NY and Washington DC embassies) is to apply for a Korean citizenship. I'm not worried at all because it gives me some perks that others cannot have. I'm trying to teach English privately since I know that a shit ton of people do that there...

Also how are the people who live there towards Korean-Americans.

who has told you all of this false information? I've had an F-4 since I was 19, let it expire, got another one without a problem, let it expire, got another with 3 years on it.

I guess you could go ahead and not listen to me, and see what happens when you get Korean citizenship...

who has told you all of this false information? I've had an F-4 since I was 19, let it expire, got another one without a problem, let it expire, got another with 3 years on it.

I guess you could go ahead and not listen to me, and see what happens when you get Korean citizenship...

Here's the deal. I don't think you understand MY situation. I'm not elligible for any type of study abroad visa WHATSOEVER because under South Korean law, I am considered a "Korean" since my father was born in Korea and was a citizen his entire life. Listen, I've called three embassies and they have all told me the same thing. I CANNOT apply for a F-4 and the only option I have is to apply for Korean passport / Korean citizenship.

Nothing is going to happen to me. Once I apply as a dual citizen, I have to renounce my citizenship once I'm 24 and I don't have to go to the army.

I've done my research. Now, back to my question...

I'm trying to teach English privately since I know that a shit ton of people do that there... Is it hard for foreigners to obtain that tutoring job?

Also how are the people who live there towards Korean-Americans? I hear some bad things about how people treat us. Not saying I'm worried about it, but Im just curious

despite how much of a dick petez is being, he may be speaking the truth. the same thing happened to another friend of mine who was trying to get his masters at seoul uni, and he decided to forgo his masters because he could be drafted at any time.

hope karma bites you in the ass and you get sent off to the barracks, petez! that'll teach you some humility.

someone just joined sufu and came in this thread with a big ol stick up the butt hole.

theres tons of korean americans out here especially around the summer time and its chill but with attitude like that, everyones gonna hate on you

i have a f4 and my parents were both born in korea, emigrated to the US in the 70s. i didnt have a problem getting a f4. if that helps you any...

the Korean americans that come over during the summer are annoying, especially the ones at yonsei doing the summer program

also as a gyopo, you're going to have a harder time teaching/finding privates than whiteys. most koreans seem to want the whiteys as a teacher

Here's the deal. I don't think you understand MY situation. I'm not elligible for any type of study abroad visa WHATSOEVER because under South Korean law, I am considered a "Korean" since my father was born in Korea and was a citizen his entire life. Listen, I've called three embassies and they have all told me the same thing. I CANNOT apply for a F-4 and the only option I have is to apply for Korean passport / Korean citizenship.

Nothing is going to happen to me. Once I apply as a dual citizen, I have to renounce my citizenship once I'm 24 and I don't have to go to the army.

I've done my research. Now, back to my question...

I'm trying to teach English privately since I know that a shit ton of people do that there... Is it hard for foreigners to obtain that tutoring job?

Also how are the people who live there towards Korean-Americans? I hear some bad things about how people treat us. Not saying I'm worried about it, but Im just curious

Dude, do you honestly believe you're the first Korean-American to ever try to go to Yonsei KLI and try to teach English part-time in Korea? Do you really think that your visa situation is this difficult? COME ON SON.