korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

God this thread took forever for me to get through.

On my first weekend here, I went out with some co-workers who I didn't know were gay to Itaewon and ended up on nearly all the places named on Homo Hill and Hooker Hill. This white girl was getting really raunchy on me, turns out she was a lesbian trying to get through me to get to the cute korean girl I was with (who is not a lesbian), and when she got denied she got infuriated and ran off (out of Polly's Kettle, where we were at). I had a Kettle to myself (this is after 4-5 drinks at one of the gay bars), and it took me about 30 minutes to stumble down the stairs of B1 and sit in front of the toilet deciding if I was going to pass out or not while my friends were dancing.

Itaewon is kinda the shit. I wonder if after 2-3 years of being here I'll ever be as knowledgeable as you are dismal, but this thread is a damn good read and I'm pretty stoked to get around town now.

haha, good story w_w. Getting a kettle means everything goes wrong, haha. I think Polly's (because they only have those huge family-size beers) has the highest rate of accidentally dropped drinks in Seoul.

I was just about to check up on you as well, T...

Polly's is certainly a weird experience. I was on the dance floor, kind of wondering wtf is going on, and the strobe lights are blaring and I have this weird girls face in my neck and I'm surrounded by big guys with dogtags around their necks just kind of smirking and nodding their heads.

My other friends were at GoGos. What do you think of that place, DF?

Polly's is definitely an 'experience'... something to experiment with, but dangerous as a habit..

Gogo's is newer, as of last year.. it's like the upstairs bar version of FF, which is coincidentally downstairs from Gogo's... they play assorted rock, the bartenders are out of it and give away drinks on odd nights, and it's lots of white kids jumping around. Not bad but easy to tire of as well. Across the street is Club Ska, which I like. (They don't play any ska in here, fwiw).. it's like Gogo's but there is an added camp factor. The bar owner comes out clears the floor and does theatrical style dancing depending on the song. They always play 'Come on Eileen' at least once a night, that is the house tune.

Polly's is definitely an 'experience'... something to experiment with, but dangerous as a habit..

Gogo's is newer, as of last year.. it's like the upstairs bar version of FF, which is coincidentally downstairs from Gogo's... they play assorted rock, the bartenders are out of it and give away drinks on odd nights, and it's lots of white kids jumping around. Not bad but easy to tire of as well. Across the street is Club Ska, which I like. (They don't play any ska in here, fwiw).. it's like Gogo's but there is an added camp factor. The bar owner comes out clears the floor and does theatrical style dancing depending on the song. They always play 'Come on Eileen' at least once a night, that is the house tune.

I've been in Seoul for 7 years now and still to this very day have no clue about them venues you guys are talking about.

Shit.

SWAY Productions will have its 6 year anniversary party @ ANSWER on 3/29

Tons of model chicks and dudes wearing fake Dior Homme should be there.

Dismal - seems like your never coming back after reading your white chick threak. the staff from APC says hello as well.

ahh cool man, ill be down for that anniversary! i googled it and come up with chi miggi? sounds pretty wild wild west but im callin a sufu meetup.

do you need guestlist for it? can you blag?

wassup t! no guestlist required. miggi is one of the bigger party promoters and thus her parties tend to bring out the model type peeps and fashion whores.

i think we need to get up on this. where the fuck is kimchee girl at?

Fuck, Seoul meetup sounds good... except that part where I'm never coming back. Dizz, take w_w and T out for a good time, don't do anything I wouldn't do.. (which is nothing, really, barring fat hookers and dodgy looking drugs)

How's chubby APC girl's fades getting on?

Drew, that can't count-- mostly because this wingman wouldve been with you on hooker and homo hills, both of which are located in Itaewon.

Where else can I find the elusive 흑인 (used a translator)

/noracist

nah, we were all over town. I had more black friends than Korean friends, though I admit that neither were a significant number. Don't let naturaljax find out that black guys have been hollering at Asian wimminz though, he will be furious.

A short tour in Seoul is never a bad idea. A long one, well that's me actually, yeah.

I think the Japanese tourists have been slowing down, Yonsama hasn't been holding his own lately. The rest of this threak applies though.

Fuck, Seoul meetup sounds good... except that part where I'm never coming back. Dizz, take w_w and T out for a good time, don't do anything I wouldn't do.. (which is nothing, really, barring fat hookers and dodgy looking drugs)

How's chubby APC girl's fades getting on?

Drew - will definitely try to take the boys out on a ride if they can handle the raw shit. Despite your hilarious and raucous adventures in Itaewon, I bet I can give them a hell of a crazy time south of the river. Just come strapped with cash and I'll do the rest.

Chubby girl got some mad fades on her cankles. You know how them Koreans like to wear their pants xtra long.

You lot will all be out there now, really tempted now to drop by April'ish but I've got a lot on my plate.. I've got my ticket though that I do need to use up and I haven't had my share of cheap Kommander Vodka and inexplicable 6am situations lately... anyhow, give my regards to all the plastic girls in trucker hats and heels....

ive been so busy past few days here visiting relatives and wat not, i havent even been able to check out any shopping spots at all...i leave in 2 days which gives me literally one day to check stuff out.

i did happen to goto some market place where i found a ton of fakes purses and wallets...fun but who knew even fakes were that expensive around here.

anyway, goodbye seoul, i'll be back in september.

Time to bring up some more fodder for conversation here, that is, the preponderance of couples seen on the streets of Seoul where the female half is either beyond average to extremely good looking (though almost always badly dressed) and the male halves definitely make you piss yourself in laughter, wretch, or make you overwhelmed with pity.

thomas, I know you have a real stiffy for that yourboyhood cat, but the sad truth is that he is just a small (well-dressed) fish in a huge (badly dressed) pond. If you're over there by now I know you've realized this, but for those who are bad at visualizing, this is (I'm sorry to say) the reality of Seoul streets:

http://www.feetmanseoul.com/

Yes, people really dress like that. And yes, people really think they're special stuff.

Dig deep in that blog and you start noticing patterns, and stuff like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feetmanseoul/1522038483/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feetmanseoul/1522037453/in/photostream/

I mean for fuck's sake, you have to admit that girls genetics worked out for her, I'd say she's tops as far as plebes go. The real bonus here is that you see a lot of girls this attractive on a regular basis in the city of tryhards.

My experience with these girls is this; the day you meet them or start flashing on their look, is probably the best they will ever look. You won't notice them on their bummy days, you meet them when they're out and done up and wearing a fresh set of clothes. You enter into realationships with said girls, and then you discover that three days out of seven they're wearing something really preposterous that they bought out front of Ewha and it makes you not want to take them out, and just order pizza in and pretend that you have a cough. Yeah, in the past I've told them they can go easy on the cosmetics, maybe taken them to Chungdam and bought them a pair of proper leather shoes or outfits with actual modern silhouettes so they could give the Victorian steez a rest, but when they're self-styling at home and coming to meet you at yours, you just cross your fingers and hope and pray for the best. You try to be polite and not blurt out 'where the fuck are the Miu Mius I just spent 4 bills on?!?!?' when she insists on wearing vinyl fruit shoes over instead.

Then if you're like me, you get sick of their completely vain latte-fueled lifestyle along with the 40% outfit failure rate, and admit to yourself that yeah she does look fit and yeah she could do with a cup size bigger but they're nice as is, but she's not skilled with the equipment and she's forking my money into her mouth, and untstylishly at that, and you have them out the door. I have found this process can last 3 months or 3 days, depending on personalities I suppose. Add another month and then you miss them, so you text message them and you do a quiet, awkward reunion that fizzles and you remember she dresses shit.

Now... moving onto the other side, yeah. I illustrated this post so I wouldn't have to say much about that. But yeah. I've found it's polite to just give the girl a smile in passing and hope you run into them again minus pseudo-Italian gargoyle boyfriends. And the great thing about Seoul and it's tiny clusterfuck neighborhoods is that often times you do! Sometimes within the week, sometimes it takes a year, but everybody gets a turn to have the most serendipitous meetings with girls in the perfect settings.

Anyway. I must admit that though that blog and its photoset are true depictions of what it is, I have been yearning for the motherland on and off this past week. Maybe it's that Korean Air commercial playing with my head. I do miss the City of Tryhards. Somebody stop me from doing something I shouldn't.

I just wrote the biggest guide/what i experienced after being there for 9 days during fashion week, if anyone is interested let me know and i will type something up again later.

I had good times in Seoul, didnt know how much Koreans loved to drink!