korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

Haha, I figured Apku NB's days were numbered, it was completely dead. I saw BoA there once though...

They sell N. Hoolywood in Seoul now? It must be exorbitant innit? Zucca at the Galleria is priced like it's French or something...

They sell N. Hoolywood in Seoul now? It must be exorbitant innit? Zucca at the Galleria is priced like it's French or something...

Yup. I haven't checked prices but I'm sure it should be downright scary. I'm more curious about the prices for BoO though...should also be rape.

some serious thanks to dis and diz for the club round ups!! much apreciated!

made me wanna be ther head to toe in chicago bulls getup hustlin cornrow bitches quicksmart haha

whats with them actually being in the stations? do you just meen in close proximity? or theyre actually inside the station buildings?

dizz, you gotta just hold onto your skree and tell yourself you'll save your wad for a Japan trip to cop gear, ignore the lure of Seoul shopping because the retail prices are your future children's educations going up in smoke, haha...

I always tried to do that, but got lazy and ended up in Chungdam every Sunday afternoon. :(

Everything is near the tube exits, but there's nothing inside the actual tube stations besides some shops, occasional alkies, old ladies selling veggies and mountain weeds on the floor, and Pakistanis selling jewelry and puppy clothes...

Itaewon station has the most hilarious bums sleeping next to the cash point, go tell them I said what's up.

Shinchon tube is fucking hilarious on a good weather day, there's this lone stoner who sells hemp gear out in front of McDiddlies, random people at all 8 exits selling veggies, the Paki jewelry guys, usually some religo nuts collecting for Tibetan kids, and this huge stall next to the stoner guy selling every imaginable puppy dog costume, including Korean traditional hanbok for dogs...

One nice thing about the tubes in Seoul is that they're kinda like Japan's and they all lead to depa-chika's at the right stations, like Shinchon, Euljiro-1ga, Apku, Jamshil, Omokgyo, etc. Super convenient if you run a normal schedule and can run in there and pick up a nice cheap takeaway dinner or meat at the butcher's corner at the sales past 6 or 7....

Dizz did they axe Hard Rock in Itaewon before it even got a chance to open?

http://www.02pro.com/?mid=party makes it seem like this new club Volume is in the old Limelight building, ahhhh Slimelight... to where all the bad waiters from Gecko's Garden get demoted...

Sleazie, N. Hoolywood is gonna be ungodly expensive in Korea, it's a niche brand and if Ecru is selling then it's probably Koon doing distro, meaning possibly near double the Japanese price... N. Hooly is nice at yen pricing, but you might as well buy real Balenciaga if you're gonna pay that much. :P

T, I'll do a Seongbuk map but I'm not too familiar with Seongbuk past say, Hansung or Sungshin tubes... which tube is Kookmin at? Gireum tube is such a clusterfuck because the one whole corner, like a good 4 exits are for the red light district....

That is probably true, Koreans love the buses... Korean universities are all placed on mini-mountains for some reason as well, so most aren't as convenient to the tube as buses are...

Sungshin is one of the few women's unis with a namesake tube, but a great number of the tube stops are named after colleges in general. Most colleges are a block or two away from their respective tube because you gotta go through the little 'town' portion of snack shops and stationery shops/chemists to the get to the school gates... I was teaching a lecture up at Sungkyungwan briefly last year and used Hyehwa tube to get there, but had to ride the shuttle bus to the school which was rather inconvenient IMO....

T, you gotta get some Korean to help you out with this page, but it's the best thing for getting around:

http://local.naver.com/?frm=nt

Get someone to type in the departure/destination points in Korean, and it'll spit out the right bus numbers for you ride...

for example, I set in Shinchon for departure, and Kookmin for your destination, they give you your options here, blue buses 110 or 153, they'll be different routes but go from wherever and both end up at Kookmin:

http://traffic.local.naver.com/bus/BusLaneSearch_Result.asp?CID=1000&LMenu=2&SLMenu=3&Mode=1&SX=306264&SY=550872&SSN=신촌&EX=311443&EY=556963&DSN=국민대학교

Sleazie, is your mom down with Lee Myung Bak? That guy has his work cut out for him, definitely... His education plans are pretty much off the deep end, I guess that takes some balls so respect to him...

You can surf his cyworld here, haha: (his cyworld screenname is a lot like the optimistic Shin ib sa won 22 year old college girls who dream of becoming corporate...)

http://www.cyworld.com/MBtious

ah cheers dismal on the naver+mapping/bus routes stuff.. i cant read a single korean character at the moment - so gonna be pretty tricky but i can try remember each character i need for stops n shit and just guess the rest :rolleyes:

i am 100% cyworld king.. wait. i dont think my language proficiency even let me finish my profile..

cyworld.com/thomasinseoul ? or something like that?!

Korean is pretty easy to learn to read and write, ultra-motivated people can make it work for them in as few as a couple hours, a day if you're sharp, maybe 3-6 months if you're completely retarded like a roommate I once had. There are only 24 letters and it's basically mathematical, so a bit different from Japanese on that front. Learning how to read/write place names is ultra handy and it provides plenty of kicks through the day when you go around reading shop signs once you realize they're all English names.

Some basic maps with landmarks for you to refer to that I just whipped up from memory here:

Hongdae (mainly clubs)

2lu9oxh.jpg

Shinchon (bars and shops)

2wltv1c.jpg

Ewha (shops and common landmarks)

xaw02a.jpg

Not comprehensive at all, obviously, as every little building is a business or shop of some sort, but some bearings...

Seongbuk I realized has almost nothing besides a McDiddlies for reference....

Dizz did they axe Hard Rock in Itaewon before it even got a chance to open?

http://www.02pro.com/?mid=party makes it seem like this new club Volume is in the old Limelight building, ahhhh Slimelight... to where all the bad waiters from Gecko's Garden get demoted...

Its still under construction but its looking nice...at least for Itaewon standards.

The former Burger King on the corner has now been changed to a Cold Stone and Quiznos!

Limelight was gross. I'm really not a fan of those Itaewon clubs despite seeing those infomercial Russian chics running around in there.

I foresee Quizno's headed for the land of failed shops in Korea, joining Schlotzky's, A+W, Taco Bell, and Kenny Roger's Roasters... Cold Stone stands a better chance, considering Korean girls have definitely mastered the lifestyle that includes a diet consisting of 50% ice cream and 50% lattes, zero exercise, and are still able to remain under 7% body fat....

Russian and Balt 16 year olds ready to drink it up in Itaewon with everyone = why not dude? :)

is it difficult for japboys to get korean girls over there? what is the electro scene like? i've only seen pics. what do they spin?

thanks.

shouldn't be difficult at all. i'm wondering if its easy for korean guys to get with japgirls though.

as for the electro scene, house seems to be biggest genre spun at the clubs, along with some tech house, progressive, electro and breaks.

as for some upcoming events this Friday:

Mass - DJ Hico from Japan

Volume - John Aquaviva

Underlounge - LTJ Bukem and MC Corad

as for the electro scene, house seems to be biggest genre spun at the clubs, along with some tech house, progressive, electro and breaks.

I went to Seoul last year looking to hear some electro and didn't find much. Seemed like pretty traditional house and some minimal techno type stuff. Club scene was alright though if you go with someone who knows their way around. Most of the best venues I would have never heard about/found on my own.

^ indeed, and Seoul is not very well-mapped out yet and venues change so often. I haven't been to half of the clubs on dizz's list it seems like because I left 5 months ago...

Seoul is a massive clusterfuck and finding new places is part of the charm though; it's not like Tokyo in that nothing has a solid rep or house rules so that is an upside and lets everyone have a bit of fun...

Re: picking up local trim, Korean girls will swear on their grandma that they'd never shack with a Japanese guy (similar to that cold fish attitude that Chinese girls like to throw up as well, that annoying kind of front that doesn't even have the humor/entertainment value that Japanese girls have when they tell you to fuck off), but you know we're all humans and that rules go out the window when at play. I've never seen or met a Japanese guy in Seoul that actually stays more than the 2 nights/3 days with proper steez, but if they did it wouldn't be a problem. Koreans just don't really like tourists really, and still collect numbers when out so hyper-romance is harder.

Electro sucks in Korea, but club covers and drinks are cheap.

what's the prices of n. hoolywood like?

Was able to check out some of the stock ECRU had - fairly decent amount of goods but with prices that were just way over the top.

Canvas sneakers - W230,000

Suede sneakers - W280,000

Blazers - W890,000

Vest - W390,000

Slacks - W290,000

Didn't even bother to check out the prices for innerwear and shit like that. I was barely fitting into a fucking JAP size 40 and the prices just killed it.

BoO shirts were ranging from W200,000 with ties in the W180,000 range.

trying to go this summer and teach english like every other college kid. Any links/leads?

There are numerous options on this. Just a warning, a lot of institutions are doing background checks on teachers so make sure your records are clean. Check out daves esl on google and you'll see a bunch of postings for teaching positions here in Korea.