korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

I'm not sure of the specifics but apparently there's a trekking route that goes aroudn pretty much the entire city.  I heard it was really long (like 50ish km) but I don't remember.

I was supposed to do it with a buddy last year, but we ended up puking the whole day instead.

Further comments:

Corso Como bookstore area was pretty nice, read for a few hours there. Rest of the store had typical high fashion retailer vibe, Piero Fornasetti exhibition on 3rd floor was very nice.

Seoul has been decent so far, but Korea in general is definitely more geared towards groups of people / group activities, solo travel isn't that fun in my experience even if you're someone who likes doing things alone like me. 

Edited by Trouble

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this thread. I spent my entire summer in Seoul last year. Best fucking experience ever - would do it again in a heartbeat. 

@the foreigners who say shopping in Korea is expensive... where the fuck do y'all shop?!

The Lotte in Uljiro 3 has an insane duty free in the top 2 floors. Bought some Givenchy stuff very, very, very deeply discounted compared to here in the U.S. 

Shinsegae I found that was about the same retail as here in the U.S, and then you get your TAX refund right away. 

The "smaller" boutiques in Apgujeong have a lot of sales going on most of the time. Galleria is indeed expensive. 

Also, even though it may not be designer, you can get pretty amazing clothes from Doota. And if you want to buy some presents/basic clothing, nothing beats Namdaemun. 

Edited by Tzar

• 2 months later...

Heading to Seoul for work for 9 days. Will have about 3 days to entertain myself, plus potentially a couple evenings. Generally I like to find a couple neighborhood to just wander around in, stopping for coffee, booze or snacks wherever jumps out at me. The more weird, eccentric or inexplicable, the better.  Not into "fancy" shit -- I'm much more into what's actually good without the bullshit. Any top-of-mind recommendations?

Heading to Seoul for work for 9 days. Will have about 3 days to entertain myself, plus potentially a couple evenings. Generally I like to find a couple neighborhood to just wander around in, stopping for coffee, booze or snacks wherever jumps out at me. The more weird, eccentric or inexplicable, the better.  Not into "fancy" shit -- I'm much more into what's actually good without the bullshit. Any top-of-mind recommendations?

Myungdong is good to see local shops and korean restaurants and stuff. It's very normal for locals but as a foreigner i can tell you it will be a fun experience. To walk around and visit some stores/coffee shops I'd recommend Apgujeong.

If you wanna party, Itaewon would be best for you. Mix of foreigners/local bars and clubs. Crazy shit goes down. (Gangnam would be your other option but you don't like no fancy shit)

Hongdae is a lot of fun too but it's mostly for the college crowd.

Enjoy Seoul man. I have been lucky enough to have traveled to a few continents and Seoul is at the very top of my list. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has there ever been a Seoul meetup? Im gonna be there for a monthish around nov/dec visiting fam, would be good to meet new people and have a yarn and all that good stuff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone know where to get cheaper korean-made clothing? Also, any korean brands that are any good or worth taking a look at?

I remember there was a guy a long time ago doing a "korean proxy" but I think he stopped doing it. Doesn't seem all that popular - but I remember seeing some korean stuff online that looked pretty decent especially for the price.

I took a trip to seoul recently, and walked around some of the department stores, didn't really see anything all that great, prices seemed pretty similar to anywhere else. Tokyo shopping seemed a lot more interesting, more unique brands, Japan-specific stuff, etc. Anything worth checking out in Seoul or elsewhere? I'll probably be going back at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i just moved here. anyone know a drycleaning place that knows how to handle high-end shit? i've heard great things about korean drycleaning in general, but i don't want to take my raf or dior to any random whole in the wall, some kind of social vetting would be nice reassurance...

• 2 weeks later...

from what i recall the so-called high end places recommended hotel dry cleaners if u really with the shits... cuz all the other places are about the same apparently. i was like yeah ok cuz i know the "hotel dry cleaners" outsource it to other places too.

Edited by yoh05

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

thinking of bypassing tokyo and checking out seoul this year. shall i just bang out a week in seoul or is it worth travelling about for another week or so? where 2? what 2 see?

when's a good time to visit? can pretty much get over there any time from august. not a fan of hot / humid weather so erring towards sept / oct.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...