korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, Im gonna be in Seoul and Incheon for a month but I need some decent stores to check out, everyones fuckin telling me to go dongdaemun cause they know I dig clothes and what not but they dont realize that shit is dirt. Can anyone help me out? I know about corso como, CDG and department stores in seoul but clueless about incheon? Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

was just reading an industry report and it had this bit of info:

Three leading hypermarkets in South Korea, E-mart, Homeplus and Lotte Mart, actively expanded the proportion of their stores allocated to clothing and footwear by developing their own private label ranges. Private label clothing offered at hypermarkets is affordable and of fair quality, which appealed to consumers who are already loyal to the outlets’ grocery products. Besides their private label ranges, these hypermarkets expanded the overall apparel range in-store by directly importing famous brands in order to reduce costs and offer cheaper prices compared to other distribution channels.

Not in sk now, but does anyone have any information about this stuff? Does it seem like they are trying to compete with uniqlo and h&m? I'm imagining wallmart quality clothes, but I know that wouldn't fly in kor so was curious if anyone has checked out the supermarket brands, as a curiosity kind of thing.

was just reading an industry report and it had this bit of info:

Not in sk now, but does anyone have any information about this stuff? Does it seem like they are trying to compete with uniqlo and h&m? I'm imagining wallmart quality clothes, but I know that wouldn't fly in kor so was curious if anyone has checked out the supermarket brands, as a curiosity kind of thing.

The supermarket brands are basically dongdaemun clothes slightly marked up.  I don't think it's meant to compete with uniqlo or h&m

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok spent three days in Seoul visiting friends and went to these places, did I miss anything cool cause I'm coming back...

Pretty much hung out at:

10CorsoComo

Rufxxx

Café 74

SocialClub

MYSTIK

Maybe a few other places but drank a little bit too much to remember...

Hi guys! I will combine Seoul with a Tokyo trip this July/August. Never been to Seoul. Plans for the stay are the usual shopping/clubbing/eating.

Any rec´s for hotels (and what area to live) would be great. Budget is up to around USD250/night. 

Thanks!

Hi guys! I will combine Seoul with a Tokyo trip this July/August. Never been to Seoul. Plans for the stay are the usual shopping/clubbing/eating.

Any rec´s for hotels (and what area to live) would be great. Budget is up to around USD250/night. 

Thanks!

Not from there but go to IP hotel in Itaewon, it is hilariously kitsch and super well located.

Ok spent three days in Seoul visiting friends and went to these places, did I miss anything cool cause I'm coming back...

Pretty much hung out at:

10CorsoComo

Rufxxx

Café 74

SocialClub

MYSTIK

Maybe a few other places but drank a little bit too much to remember...

From the top of my head...

Beer: Craftworks / Magpie

Whisky: SpeakeasyMortar / Burn in Hal / Coffee Bar K (top of the hill from 74)

Makgeolli: Mukjeon (묵전) / Moon Jar

Seoul Salon (art gallery / bar)

The staff at Rufxxx also does performance arts every weekend at 9?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

just eat barbecue and drink.  

but if you're going to compare it to japan (or what you think japan will be like if you haven't been), you're going to have a bad time.  

Couldn't have said it better.  Japan and Korea are oranges and apples.

I prefer Japan for retail hands down.  But if you want to ruin your liver and colon, Korea is king.

If I were you, I'd go the other way 'round.  I'd hit japan, get my shopping done.  Then destroy myself in Korea.

Edited by shieldsy

I just got in Seoul two days ago. Not even going to bother shopping here, but i'm still having a good time.

The fact that soju is as cheap as water is mind blowing haha. 

I know everyone says kbbq is everywhere and can be had for cheap, why is it that everywhere I'm looking is like $20 for 160g of meat? Am I looking at all the wrong places? People kept telling me it's more like $10 for kbbq any time of the day. 

Edited by Method

beef is going to be more expensive than pork, especially if it's domestic.  that being said, you should still be able to find beef for like 13-15,000 for 150g (or 100g if it's a higher quality cut).  not dirt cheap i guess but the fact that you can usually get 3,000 won bottles of beer and 2,000 won bottles of soju makes up for it imo.