korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

Posted (edited) · Hidden by fads, June 3, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by fads, June 3, 2012 - No reason given

hannam-dong is the new black

YtuCV.jpg

Edited by hyun

Can anyone suggest any hotels/motels in the Hapjeong/Hongdae area? Ideally something that can be booked online. I have seen a few hotel discussions in this thread before but don't think I have seen anything about the area.

how much do you want to spend? I like the Namgyung hotel (there's two, one is newer and one is much, much older and cheaper, forget the old one), it's behind another hotel, a little in off the street in Hapjeong right before you hit the bridge. Probably the best(?) in Hapjeong, the rest were all pretty seedy/cheesy looking.

There are a bunch of love hotels in Shinchon for a bit cheaper, or the same price. I'd rather just stay up there. The rooms are all really small, some have interesting bathrooms and stuff though.

how much do you want to spend? I like the Namgyung hotel (there's two, one is newer and one is much, much older and cheaper, forget the old one), it's behind another hotel, a little in off the street in Hapjeong right before you hit the bridge. Probably the best(?) in Hapjeong, the rest were all pretty seedy/cheesy looking.

There are a bunch of love hotels in Shinchon for a bit cheaper, or the same price. I'd rather just stay up there. The rooms are all really small, some have interesting bathrooms and stuff though.

Probably looking to spend around 3man so love motels will be the way to go. Just scouting places out for friends to stay. I'll have to check out the one you mentioned. Thanks!

For dirt cheap options, the owner of Yogiga Gallery just opened a guest house in Mangwon. 10,000won per day. https://www.facebook...91849090866264/

Edited by ruach

Probably looking to spend around 3man so love motels will be the way to go. Just scouting places out for friends to stay. I'll have to check out the one you mentioned. Thanks!

For dirt cheap options, the owner of Yogiga Gallery just opened a guest house in Mangwon. 10,000won per day. https://www.facebook...91849090866264/

30 thou is strictly yuhgwan on an off day status... aren't gonna find much with '-tel' in the name in Korea for 30k a day.

http://www.kimsguesthouse.com/

I stayed here when I was in Seoul. It's in Hapjeong and about 10min walk from Hapjeon stn

I was in a 8 person bunk room, and it was fun. I thought it was great, and it was mad cheap. Like 17000W a night. I suggest it

you can do Seoul for less than half of Tokyo, all things considered. Just gotta stay away from some obvious yet way overpriced things in Korea if you're trying to see a dollar to dollar experiment; it's still years from leveling out and becoming a 'normal' place, it's not matured in many facets yet, things you take for granted are quite expensive in Seoul.

Just got back from Seoul, still astounding how much it develops even to this day. I was gone for like 4 months and whole neighborhoods have changed, that back street in Itaewon with all the restaurants is crazy now. You get the feeling that they've barely even started. Wish I could be in on some of the money making developments there, but it's hard to get in amongst all the Koreans.

basic question here, but what's the cost of living like in seoul, say compared with tokyo?

$1 train rides anywhere basically.

$10 all you can eat Korean BBQ at any time of the day.

$3 Soju/Hite combo gets you fucked.

$4 for a latte.

Cabs are a joke how cheap they are.

Problem is shopping 24/7.

Lived in seoul for a month. Barely touched my budget. Should have stayed longer. Went to Tokyo for a month and blew it all.

Edited by beatplusmelody

Flying in to Seoul on Tuesday for a week's holiday. I'm a total googlemaps nerd, and coupled with the smartphone I'm renting, I thought a custom map should save tons of time.

If anyone's interested, it's here. just saying beforehand though, it's super subjective and no where near exhaustive. I've probably missed tons of cool traditional shit, but that sightseeing conveyor belt approach isn't my thing. The map is mostly comprised of bookstores/galleries/cafes/fashunz that were collated off the net and seemed interesting.

Any wrong locations/feedback/essential additions, get at me, I'd be really appreciative

Also if there's anyone on for sinking a few beers, especially friday/saturday let me know!

Edited by z-axis

I think Daily Projects is closed. Haven't been in years but it closed long ago (I think end of 2008) and never seemed to open back up. Don't know about Addicted either, that's a name I haven't heard in years. Expect a lot of your list to be that way, as it looks to be niche/indie and those things last about a year in Seoul. You will probably be interested in Platoon Kunsthalle and maybe Heyri Art village.

I visited Daily Projects maybe in 2011 or so. It was pretty dea/uninteresting, but still open. No idea if things have changed further since then.

There is a new A Land in Hongdae that is three or four stories. I haven't been inside but everytime I walk by it is rather happening. Could be worth checking out.

Edited by ruach

Locations all checked. addicted and daily projects still there, the former probably being the best store I went to, has some really nice european designers.

Added a few venues for catching up and coming korean indie bands. The club scene there was cringecentral. went to hongdae last friday, every single joint was putting out mainstream US RnB hits. This was inamongst american GIs hollering and highfiving at every opportunity and all the korean college chicks dressing like they were on the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sooo... I need some help. I'm planning to visit Seoul for a month-ish (5 weeks?) this November and I need help looking for a cheap place. I do have relatives who live in Daejeon, but living with them will mean a 2-3 hour bus ride or a 1.5 hour train ride every time I want to go to Seoul. So I'm looking for a cheap and tiny place with a clean bathroom (this is a must, I have a phobia of dirty bathrooms... and no it's not a real phobia QQ). Also, apart from the flight fee, how much money should I be taking with me? I don't plan on buying clothes and crap; just food and drinks, which I hear is very cheap in Korea.

Oh and I also have a friend in Seoul who will let me stay a few nights every other week while I'm there. So I'm not necessarily looking for a place I have to rent for one whole month. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thankies~

:(, I killed the thread.

Edited by IWishIWasADino

• 1 month later...

^ in terms of money its really up to you. you can spend like $5 for a meal of kimbap or jjigae. meat is more expensive, obviously, but thats usually around $10-12, and with beer and soju and whatnot its probably $18-20.

in terms of a place to stay, some hostels offer discounts on monthly rates. i wouldn't stay at a 고시텔.

Edited by abracadabra

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...