korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

Thanks for the info thomas.

I'm basing myself in Osaka actually so the Nagoya thing ain't so bad.

I did some research last night and to go from Osaka to Seoul by Rail+Ferry it cost about AUD$600-700 return which isn't the end of the world, plus I would get to see Hiroshima, Fukouka and Busan.

Tokyo is the end of my trip for a week before flying out to LA so it might actually be worthwhile investigating Nagoya/Osaka to Seoul and then Seoul to Tokyo by plane. That also saves me the one way Shinkansen cost from Osaka to Tokyo which are pretty rich (AUD$160) I'd probably have to bail on Hiroshima (Costs about AUD$200 return via Shinkansen from Osaka) as part of my trip but I get to add Korea.

I had planned so much but hour long Shinkansen trips are almost AUD$100 a pop and quickly add up. I really would like to visit Korea though while I'm in Japan.

raddy: What's the $100 hop thing? Any more deets?

eddyz: I couldnt' find anything on Juju airs website. Only HK and Korea.

Sorry if this has been covered in this thread before.

I will be going to Seoul for 5 days and I was wondering if there are any cool / edgy / avant garde shops, boutiques, malls and shopping area that I should check out.

I've only ever heard of Daily Projects. Would be nice to check out some cool local fashion labels too. Does Seoul have a street youth culture like Tokyo & London. Where do they hang out?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

any good places to buy a wallet? lost mine over the weekend

any brand or no brand, just something leather

if you can handle it, honestly the best effort wallets you can buy in Korea are fake LV's, those things are as good as the real thing (unfortunately) and last forever, don't cost much - go in one of the Itaewon basement dungeons with the A grade fake shit and get a fake epi or taiga billfold, unless you want to pony up for something Korean priced.

I will be going to Seoul for 5 days and I was wondering if there are any cool / edgy / avant garde shops, boutiques, malls and shopping area that I should check out.

I've only ever heard of Daily Projects. Would be nice to check out some cool local fashion labels too. Does Seoul have a street youth culture like Tokyo & London. Where do they hang out?

Everybody in Korea nowadays thinks they're cool/edgy/avant garde/boutique.

when are you coming to seoul?

just got my citizenship today it was a quick and easy process. i spent a total of two days (approximate time 4-5 hours) receiving fingerprints, my korean passport, and my official korean residency number. I will receive my passport within three days and my citizenship papers within 10 days. As for the army and my American citizenship, I am officially a dual citizen of the U.S. and South Korea. I will need to renounce my korean citizenship by the time I am 24 (december 31st 2015) and then I will not have to attend military service. For those who are interested in visiting south korea and have a similar circumstance like me ( my father was a korean citizen who recently became an american citizen and thus i could not receive a student visa ), it's a quick and easy process. koreans truly worship the "bali bali" ideal and they have seen a lot of second generation korean-americans have trouble obtaining visas. i was lucky that the people here were very helpful and quick to aid me in my quest to become a korean citizen. however, do not worry about military service. as a korean citizen, i have some perks that students on visas do not such as cheap health insurance, better cell phone plan, access to stay in korea without any trouble for as long as i want.

first night i was here i went to a bar with my cousins. it was a good time. i just arrived at my dorm at yonsei and i look forward to officially going out to the bars and clubs. i just hope i don't blow money because I'm trying to leave here with cash in my wallet. i already received two to three job offers tutoring english, (even though some do not want to hire gyopos). i am getting paid 20,000-30,000 won an hour babying koreans in the english language and even got an offer today for 50,000 an hour to teach. my trip here so far has been short yet arduous with applying for citizenship, but as of today i am officially a dual citizen, yonsei student, and english teacher.

soju is cheaper than water. this is good news.

lol

petezjunior, great job. Did you find out what it takes to renounce citizenship before you signed the dotted line, or did you think that 'I'm not a citizen anymore' thing is gonna work for you? lol.

i just arrived at my dorm at yonsei and i look forward to officially going out to the bars and clubs. i just hope i don't blow money because I'm trying to leave here with cash in my wallet. i already received two to three job offers tutoring english, (even though some do not want to hire gyopos). i am getting paid 20,000-30,000 won an hour babying koreans in the english language and even got an offer today for 50,000 an hour to teach. my trip here so far has been short yet arduous with applying for citizenship, but as of today i am officially a dual citizen, yonsei student, and english teacher.

soju is cheaper than water. this is good news.

el oh el. the lifestyle of champions.

any good places to buy a wallet? lost mine over the weekend

any brand or no brand, just something leather

i really wanted the MMM zip wallet but didn't feel like forking over 800K.

you can always get cdg wallets for less than 200K, otherwise you can go with dismal's suggestion and get something ghetto fab from the streets of itaewon. they will find you. lol

any places in Korea to purchase pomade?? Gatsby isn't doing it for me anymore..

i think the shiseido wax with a red top is smiliar to pomade, never seen actual pomade though

and wtf happend to this thread? lots of deleted posts or something

I did it, I read all 206 pages of this awesome thread hahahaha, basically a collection of visa, phone and english teaching questions, and a dash of drunken stories, love it!

I'm heading over to korea for 8 days at the end of december (from what i gather is gonna be bitterly cold). I was there about 3 years ago when I spent 4 weeks in busan drinking it up, but this time I'm visiting with a gf so clubbing and drinking too much are generally limited hahahaha

so this is what I've gathered so far on stuff I must do:

visit a fresh seafood market and eat wriggling pieces of octopus

go eat at a traditional korean restaurant with like 30 side dishes

namsan tower

public spa/saunas

any other suggestions on stuff to do?

or recommendations of fish markets (and what to eat there) and public spas? (are there any that you can go outdoors and sit in a spa while the snow is falling on you? that are also male+female friendly? hahaha)

thanks! :)

I don't know if nice outdoor spas exist within Seoul but there are some in country side resorts.

Generally public spas/saunas have two areas. A coed area that generally has a steam room and the bathing area that is segregated. Generally in the coed area you will have to be in a swim suit and there are no "adult" pools like in the US (although there might be some somewhere that I'm not aware of)

Know that this has been addressed before, but ask anyway. It would be nice if someone can link or post a guide to shopping in Seoul? What areas should I visit? I'm not a big fan of large shopping centers. I prefer streets with apartments stores. Really want to look up some korean brands and ofc CDG, APC and so on.

Would really appreciate if someone can help me

Hi, sorry i couldnt do the guide last night, i've got alot of work on at the moment.

i might aswell build a website with a mapped guide on (as it will probably be hard to explain just on these forum posts) - a kinda alternative guide to shopping in seoul.

any reccomendations for a name for the guide/web address?