korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

I CANNOT apply for a F-4 and the only option I have is to apply for Korean passport / Korean citizenship.

Nothing is going to happen to me. Once I apply as a dual citizen, I have to renounce my citizenship once I'm 24 and I don't have to go to the army.

If you are a dual citizen, and one is Korea, what is the other country?

If you have a passport to any country but Korea, and you have access to your family registry, you are eligible for the F-4 visa. If you have paperwork stating you will be attending any school program in Korea longer than 90 days, you are eligible for the D-2 visa. If you have just a foreign passport from most any country, and a return ticket out of the country, you are eligible for a 90 or 180 day tourist visa, which you may attend short term Korean language schools on.

Teaching English in Korea without proper credentials is technically illegal, and generally no one will hire a person without a college degree. There are enough people with college degrees seeking English teaching work in Korea already.

Seriously dude, almost every person in this thread has done exactly what you are trying to do, and most people who have posted in this thread are Korean-Americans. Everything you have posted regarding visas is false and misinformed, so you're either talking to the wrong people, or asking people in the wrong way.

If you are a dual citizen, and one is Korea, what is the other country?

If you have a passport to any country but Korea, and you have access to your family registry, you are eligible for the F-4 visa. If you have paperwork stating you will be attending any school program in Korea longer than 90 days, you are eligible for the D-2 visa. If you have just a foreign passport from most any country, and a return ticket out of the country, you are eligible for a 90 or 180 day tourist visa, which you may attend short term Korean language schools on.

Teaching English in Korea without proper credentials is technically illegal, and generally no one will hire a person without a college degree. There are enough people with college degrees seeking English teaching work in Korea already.

Seriously dude, almost every person in this thread has done exactly what you are trying to do, and most people who have posted in this thread are Korean-Americans. Everything you have posted regarding visas is false and misinformed, so you're either talking to the wrong people, or asking people in the wrong way.

No, it's a difficult situation because since my father became a us citizen, there was a new law in 2011 that said that Korean-Americans whose parents became american citizens after they were born cannot receive visas. I've called the Hawaii, Washington DC, and NY consulates. I don't have a problem whatsoever becoming a dual citizen until I'm 24 because all I need to do is renounce the citizenship and I'm fine. I'm not worried about visas and whatnot, I just need a job. Technically, since I'm going to be a Korean citizen, I think I'll just find a small job near Yonsei campus. By the way, I'm an American citizen as well.

No, it's a difficult situation because since my father became a us citizen, there was a new law in 2011 that said that Korean-Americans whose parents became american citizens after they were born cannot receive visas. I've called the Hawaii, Washington DC, and NY consulates. I don't have a problem whatsoever becoming a dual citizen until I'm 24 because all I need to do is renounce the citizenship and I'm fine. I'm not worried about visas and whatnot, I just need a job. Technically, since I'm going to be a Korean citizen, I think I'll just find a small job near Yonsei campus. By the way, I'm an American citizen as well.

1) if you get Korean citizenship, and renounce it to dodge draft, you will be exiled from Korea forever, and possibly your offspring as well.

2) Forget about getting a job in Korea. You don't have enough education. You might be able to make $50 here and there, but that is not a job nor is it enough work to support yourself. If you don't have a college degree, forget about teaching English. Everything you are posting here is hearsay that you're repeating, I am telling you that you are wrong, because I live in Korea and I've lived there as an American citizen for almost 10 years.

3) You qualify for visas. I just said in the last post, you qualify for an F4. The only requirement for the F4 is that you have a passport from a foreign country, are not a Korean citizen, and you have Korean lineage that you can prove via a hojeok. You may not be able to get one from a consulate, but you can get it from the immigration bureau in Seoul. You enter with a tourist visa, and then you change visa status. It is done everyday.

If you apply to Yonsei and apply for a 90 day+ program, you qualify for a D2 student visa. You may work legally up to 20 hours per week.

Any American passport holder with a return ticket home within 90 days qualifies for a 90 day tourist visa. You take this visa and you change the status of your visa to D2 or F4 at the Immigration Bureau in Jongro or Mokdong.

4) Don't come to Korea if you don't have money or a way to support yourself. it is expensive, and like I said, you don't qualify for work that would pay enough to support you independently. If you have only a tourist visa, you don't qualify to work legally at all.

Teaching English without proper documentation is illegal and you are one of maybe 10,000 people trying to do that job. Forget about it if you don't know what you are doing.

1) if you get Korean citizenship, and renounce it to dodge draft, you will be exiled from Korea forever, and possibly your offspring as well.

2) Forget about getting a job in Korea. You don't have enough education. You might be able to make $50 here and there, but that is not a job nor is it enough work to support yourself. If you don't have a college degree, forget about teaching English. Everything you are posting here is hearsay that you're repeating, I am telling you that you are wrong, because I live in Korea and I've lived there as an American citizen for almost 10 years.

3) You qualify for visas. I just said in the last post, you qualify for an F4. The only requirement for the F4 is that you have a passport from a foreign country, are not a Korean citizen, and you have Korean lineage that you can prove via a hojeok. You may not be able to get one from a consulate, but you can get it from the immigration bureau in Seoul. You enter with a tourist visa, and then you change visa status. It is done everyday.

If you apply to Yonsei and apply for a 90 day+ program, you qualify for a D2 student visa. You may work legally up to 20 hours per week.

Any American passport holder with a return ticket home within 90 days qualifies for a 90 day tourist visa. You take this visa and you change the status of your visa to D2 or F4 at the Immigration Bureau in Jongro or Mokdong.

4) Don't come to Korea if you don't have money or a way to support yourself. it is expensive, and like I said, you don't qualify for work that would pay enough to support you independently. If you have only a tourist visa, you don't qualify to work legally at all.

Teaching English without proper documentation is illegal and you are one of maybe 10,000 people trying to do that job. Forget about it if you don't know what you are doing.

When I talked to the representatives from the embassies, they all told me that waiving my Korean citizenship to dodge the military service will not be a difficult process and I will not have any problems, as long as I am not in Korea when I renounce my citizenship. I called the San Francisco embassy today. According to the San Francisco, New York, Hawaii, and Washington DC embassies, I can sign a waiver form to skip military service and this will not impede my ability to visit Korea / bring my sons/ daughters to Korea. They all collectively said that the Korean citizenship process is not difficult and will not require me to go to the military service unless I sign the waiver form when I turn 24. I also asked the woman from the SF embassy if I could apply for the visa in Korea. Like I said before, since my father became a us citizen, she said that I am not eligible for ANY visas whatsoever. Remind you, this is four different embassies I have called. I don't know how else to stress this. It really looks like I am applying for a Korean citizenship. The moment I said "my father became a us citizen after I was born," they collectively said, "No, you can't apply for a f-4 or d-2 visa. Sorry, it looks like your only only option is to apply for a korean passport."

2. Do you know of any people with parents who became American citizenships after they were born who received their f-4 / d-2 visas?

If possible, of course I'd love to apply for a visa since appying for a citizenship would require more work and stress. I just want to know if I'm making the right decision, but it seems like the citizenship is my only decision... It sucks but what else can I do

Well, I'll let others chime in here on that exact scenario, but trust me man, you are not alone in that boat. Many people do not get their citizenship til after they've had kids in America, it's a long process - and I don't think anyone has had the need to get citizenship in lieu of a visa.

You do technically have Korean citizenship now, if you are Korean-American. You have to sign a form to renounce that now, and then you are eligible for an F-4. Google F-4 visa and there is more than enough info out there on that.

Dual citizenships between Korea and anywhere else are things you undertake because you want to generally, not because you have to. Korea accepts everyone on a tourist visa.

Do not get citizenship though, that is not worth your time or heartache. It'd be worth it if you were doing big business that couldn't be done any other way, but you are not at that stage, you're just trying to go to KLI and tutor english on the side. There has probably been something like 50,000+ Korean-Americans/Korean-somethings to do that exact same thing over the years.

You also risk jeopardizing your American citizenship, and being conscripted into military service, there is not a specific date you will be called regarding military service. You are probably already eligible at 20 or something, and if you're not busy studying full-time or something, you would probably get called up sooner or later, too late for trying to leave and renounce citizenship/be exiled, and if you do renounce citizenship once being called for duty, you will be exiled, for sure.

Well, I'll let others chime in here on that exact scenario, but trust me man, you are not alone in that boat. Many people do not get their citizenship til after they've had kids in America, it's a long process - and I don't think anyone has had the need to get citizenship in lieu of a visa.

You do technically have Korean citizenship now, if you are Korean-American. You have to sign a form to renounce that now, and then you are eligible for an F-4. Google F-4 visa and there is more than enough info out there on that.

Dual citizenships between Korea and anywhere else are things you undertake because you want to generally, not because you have to. Korea accepts everyone on a tourist visa.

Do not get citizenship though, that is not worth your time or heartache. It'd be worth it if you were doing big business that couldn't be done any other way, but you are not at that stage, you're just trying to go to KLI and tutor english on the side. There has probably been something like 50,000+ Korean-Americans/Korean-somethings to do that exact same thing over the years.

You also risk jeopardizing your American citizenship, and being conscripted into military service, there is not a specific date you will be called regarding military service. You are probably already eligible at 20 or something, and if you're not busy studying full-time or something, you would probably get called up sooner or later, too late for trying to leave and renounce citizenship/be exiled, and if you do renounce citizenship once being called for duty, you will be exiled, for sure.

How do I risk losing my American citizenship?

2. How would I renounce my citizenship? Do I do that in America or Korea?

?!

i have no problem in you 'pulling some info', its your shitty attitude and the intense stink of bad ju-ju that emenates your person

your a complete ass being shitty to people who A. are trying to help you and B. have experience in visa/citizenship application...

... you deserve no help acting like that.

regardless, asking visa advice on a fashion forum is near useless, - as it will need to be verified at the embassy anyway.. use your brain and ask the right questions to the consulate and stop wasting our time.

?!

i have no problem in you 'pulling some info', its your shitty attitude and the intense stink of bad ju-ju that emenates your person

your a complete ass being shitty to people who A. are trying to help you and B. have experience in visa/citizenship application...

... you deserve no help acting like that.

regardless, asking visa advice on a fashion forum is near useless, - as it will need to be verified at the embassy anyway.. use your brain and ask the right questions to the consulate and stop wasting our time.

I'm trying to be as polite as possible. I even apologized for being an ass, which I will admit. Sorry if I came off harsh, but I'm not trying to attack anybody. I appreciate dismal's help, as I'm trying to figure out everything since a forum will definitely help me out in this process.

dismal, do you have any TOJ stuff i can pick up here while im in korea? went to Dior homme in galleria a few days ago and i think it is way over priced compared to the prices in the US. Especially getting used to the Barney's co-op seasonal sales which is like 60-70% off in the states, i just don't feel its worth paying so much for clothes here that i can pick up in america.

Dismal don't waste your time trying to help this tool.

mate you're right, I probably shouldn't, but the scabs... fffuu

and MiK - I don't have any TOJ stuff on me - all made to order man. That's like going into a restuarant and asking if there's anything on the warmer you can have on your table within the next 2 minutes. Doesn't work that way.

mate you're right, I probably shouldn't, but the scabs... fffuu

and MiK - I don't have any TOJ stuff on me - all made to order man. That's like going into a restuarant and asking if there's anything on the warmer you can have on your table within the next 2 minutes. Doesn't work that way.

Hey, last question and I'll leave you alone. Do you know anything about an alien registration card? Is that an equivalent to a visa?

welcome back to the motherland mink.

thank you dizz. man went to ellui last night and that place is packed with hot chicks. I only went to SIS for 1 year here in 5th grade and now after graduating college, im reaping the benefits of going to SIS and meeting all these '91 chicks because my friends tell them i am their 선배 haha

round 2 tonight at ellui or answer should be a fun night.

dizz where you at in korea?

dismal, are you guys seriously down to go next weekend. I'm down to get a table and mess around haha I leave on the 26th so anytime before that.

i love these young SIS girls cause they are skanky as fuck but they show respect to their elder 선배 and suck up to you like crazy