korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone with success stories for harddrive data recovery in Seoul? My MacBook harddrive died and the cost quoted for recovery in the states was rather ridiculous. I am going to Seoul at the end of July for two weeks, though, and was hoping that I might have better luck price-wise over there.

Back to the question if my swedish iphone 4 will work in Korea. I bought a Gevey Simcard to unlock my phone yesterday.

check this video:

Works great. If I buy a simcard in a random store it would operate without any problem, right? Hope someone could clear this out :)

they don't really sell SIMs in Korea as they do in other countries - you need to do some paperwork and it's a hassle to get your phone to work in Korea - enough so that most people just get a local phone, which are expensive in their own right. Most foreign people do not have iPhones for this very reason, a Korean iPhone will cost you $600-1000 and you've got to use it for a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys new to sufu. I'm a 20 year old venturing to Yonsei University to study for a year abroad. I have to apply as a citizen to go to school there since my dad became a us citizen and I can't apply for a d-2 visa. Anyhow, what should I expect there for fun? (shopping- what are some good places to shop at, not bullshit fake stuff from dongdaemun) Also, job wise, is it hard to find a job there? Thanks.

you don't need to apply as a citizen unless you are a citizen, who told you that? If you have a US passport you can get an F4 visa. You can't get a decent job there without a degree.

you don't need to apply as a citizen unless you are a citizen, who told you that? If you have a US passport you can get an F4 visa. You can't get a decent job there without a degree.

Well, 1. I have to be 21 to apply for a f-4 visa.

2. Since my father became a dual citizen AFTER I was born, my only choice (according to both the NY and Washington DC embassies) is to apply for a Korean citizenship. I'm not worried at all because it gives me some perks that others cannot have. I'm trying to teach English privately since I know that a shit ton of people do that there...

Also how are the people who live there towards Korean-Americans.

who has told you all of this false information? I've had an F-4 since I was 19, let it expire, got another one without a problem, let it expire, got another with 3 years on it.

I guess you could go ahead and not listen to me, and see what happens when you get Korean citizenship...

who has told you all of this false information? I've had an F-4 since I was 19, let it expire, got another one without a problem, let it expire, got another with 3 years on it.

I guess you could go ahead and not listen to me, and see what happens when you get Korean citizenship...

Here's the deal. I don't think you understand MY situation. I'm not elligible for any type of study abroad visa WHATSOEVER because under South Korean law, I am considered a "Korean" since my father was born in Korea and was a citizen his entire life. Listen, I've called three embassies and they have all told me the same thing. I CANNOT apply for a F-4 and the only option I have is to apply for Korean passport / Korean citizenship.

Nothing is going to happen to me. Once I apply as a dual citizen, I have to renounce my citizenship once I'm 24 and I don't have to go to the army.

I've done my research. Now, back to my question...

I'm trying to teach English privately since I know that a shit ton of people do that there... Is it hard for foreigners to obtain that tutoring job?

Also how are the people who live there towards Korean-Americans? I hear some bad things about how people treat us. Not saying I'm worried about it, but Im just curious

despite how much of a dick petez is being, he may be speaking the truth. the same thing happened to another friend of mine who was trying to get his masters at seoul uni, and he decided to forgo his masters because he could be drafted at any time.

hope karma bites you in the ass and you get sent off to the barracks, petez! that'll teach you some humility.

i have a f4 and my parents were both born in korea, emigrated to the US in the 70s. i didnt have a problem getting a f4. if that helps you any...

the Korean americans that come over during the summer are annoying, especially the ones at yonsei doing the summer program

Here's the deal. I don't think you understand MY situation. I'm not elligible for any type of study abroad visa WHATSOEVER because under South Korean law, I am considered a "Korean" since my father was born in Korea and was a citizen his entire life. Listen, I've called three embassies and they have all told me the same thing. I CANNOT apply for a F-4 and the only option I have is to apply for Korean passport / Korean citizenship.

Nothing is going to happen to me. Once I apply as a dual citizen, I have to renounce my citizenship once I'm 24 and I don't have to go to the army.

I've done my research. Now, back to my question...

I'm trying to teach English privately since I know that a shit ton of people do that there... Is it hard for foreigners to obtain that tutoring job?

Also how are the people who live there towards Korean-Americans? I hear some bad things about how people treat us. Not saying I'm worried about it, but Im just curious

Dude, do you honestly believe you're the first Korean-American to ever try to go to Yonsei KLI and try to teach English part-time in Korea? Do you really think that your visa situation is this difficult? COME ON SON.