korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

yeah don't expect much next week. Stuff will be closed from Wednesday and re-open on Saturday, but it'll be dead.

Tons of lodgings for cheap here, yuhgwans and the like are probably like $20 or something.

Korea might be a little dead as well as its also lunar new year

Yes but I don't think it will be like China, everythings supposed to open up around the 2nd week of February..

yeah don't expect much next week. Stuff will be closed from Wednesday and re-open on Saturday, but it'll be dead.

Tons of lodgings for cheap here, yuhgwans and the like are probably like $20 or something.

Yuhgwans? Gonna research a bunch of places I guess, there should be a seoul expat forum somewhere on the internet. Heard Seoul is colder than Shanghai right now, not looking forward to that at all.

Any recommendations for street markets?? Accessories, cool things, clothing, etc.

Happy Lunar Year everybody

damn it, i really need to reconnect with the sufu seoul crew. its been a while since ive hung out with you guys, and am hoping it happens soon. especially now that the weather isnt ball-crushingly cold anymore (or so it seems like)

decided to try staying at love motels. these love motels are great for the price. 30,000-100,000won/night. cheapest ones at 30,000won rooms are even better than any 3 star hotels - includes a jacuzzi bath, pc, tv, condoms + shitloads of toiletries, and free snacks.

got my local friend to book for me for a more discount. check out yanolja.co.kr if you can read korean.

only cons are rooms usually booked from 8pm-1pm, and if you want to stay more than a night, some won't allow, but others will charge about 25,000won extra (more on weekends as no doubt they get busy then).

next time, going to get them 100,000 VIP rooms with a stripper pole, disco ball and jacuzzi right next my bed.:cool:

Guest umhaha84
AT&T iPhone4's will not work on Korean networks. Verizon phones might as they're CDMA but I am unsure. You can rent sim cards if you have a CDMA phone and I believe most cell phone stores can do this.

none will work,

esn needs to be registered with Korean FCC (not sure it's called that in korea but same shit) which costs around 200k~300k and takes weeks.

you guys can't get iPhones here unless you get a visa for at least a year and pay for the phone up front, which is about $900 for an iPhone 4, and then pay for the monthly bill (it's about $50/month for a low priced plan with adequate data).

none will work,

esn needs to be registered with Korean FCC (not sure it's called that in korea but same shit) which costs around 200k~300k and takes weeks.

Still needs to be registered but Korean government recently declared that it is now FREE. No idea how long it takes but from what I hear it's more like hours rather than weeks or days. It's on KT's page somewhere.

you guys can't get iPhones here unless you get a visa for at least a year and pay for the phone up front, which is about $900 for an iPhone 4, and then pay for the monthly bill (it's about $50/month for a low priced plan with adequate data).

If you have more than 6 months left on your visa or have a Korean credit card (easy to get if you're here working) then you will be eligible for a plan (half a year to 2 years, but anything less than 2 only works with a credit card). However, it is a total bitch to get any store to sell you one. I had to go through 5 different places before one would sell me one. And I have a fucking F visa. Also the plan will be discounted a bit with a phone purchase. If you buy brand new and do a 2 year plan, expect to pay a total of 75k a month (plan+phone cost). You don't want anything less than unlimited data and don't want anything more than the cheapest unlimited data.

i was on garosugil today and went into one of the outlets (ilmo) and discovered the top floor is an outlet for the men's stuff from 10 corso como, lots of good stuff for 50-70% off. i got an awesome raf by raf simons blazer. i guess outlets aren't complete garbage after all.

I really wish North American restaurants worked like many Korean ones do: free banchan, button to call the server, going up to pay at the front instead of waiting for the server to bring the bill, and no tip necessary. Way better dining experience.

last time i was back in london i went to a korean restaurant which asked 5gbp (about $8-9?) for kimchi, i turned on my best korean skillz and told them wtfux and they gave me the full panchun treatment fo free.

i did spend about 250$ there (with one guest) though, so yeah.

- to anyone asking about english teaching in seoul (not that i am one of you english teaching scummers, but i do have friends who are in the same social-status-nullifying industry); yes you will have fun, yes your wages will be very good against your living costs, and yes, even you majour uglies will find a few filthy korean broads to spaff upon.

FIGHTTINNNNGGG!

don't get your haircut in shinchon, the salons in front of Ewha are okay, but better yet, take the train and go to Myongdong, plenty of places there. Cheap cuts around Ewha are 15-20K and good cuts in Seoul are 35-45K.