korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

since ive left seoul, i now understand why the huge fuss over beef. for a week i think i ate only two meals without beef. and those meals largely sucked.

also, anybody know the name of the show with those comedians (park myung soo, etc.) playing games in the sauna? i didn't know a lick of korean and thought it was hilarious just cause his face is so busted. also one of the girls on the show is mad cute. if anybody knew her name thatd be helpful.

i know hyori is old news, but god damn if that body isnt the tightest thing. seeing her in all the ads on the subway just made me think of her as an asian britney that didnt get knocked up.

lastly, whats up with all the shiny suits? krns love the sheen.

happy together? and i would think the girl you are referring to was a guest... need more explainin

I don't know what is up with the shiny suits, or the contrast stich shirts, but they are revolting.

The beef thing is completely embarrassing. It's Koreans sitting on the internet passing around all kinds of stories ('netizen' is the new ca. 1950 villager about to get pummeled by the powers that be), and then bringing their little kids out to protests in front of city hall, passing around beach balls and clapping their hands, smiling because they're being televised like they're at a carnival or something, it's a complete fucking shame.

Koreans are over there claiming the USDA is trying to poison them or something, demanding that all beef be deboned and is still unsafe at that, blah blah. The facts are, there has been one reported case of mad cow disease infecting a human in the past 2 years, out of the global population of 6.7 billion, and that was in England. The brain and spine would be the only parts of the cow to be infected if it did have mad cow disease, so the solution is simple - which is what the USDA was doing for its exports.

Don't turn away food and then expect it to be offered again when you feel like it, especially not when global food shortages are just getting legs.

happy together? and i would think the girl you are referring to was a guest... need more explainin

Yeah I guess she was a guest. She appeared on a couple episodes and I also saw her on a show with all chicks in wedding dresses. She kinda smiles like Alba.

i think this broad was on there too:

0000068450_001.jpg

Apparently she's also a comedian? Those bangs are horrible though. So many girls had those that shouldn't.

Its a shame to see those Koreans get so fired up over fucking beef when they fail to ignore the bigger picture about the trade relations and even protests to kick the newly elected president in which the majority obviously voted for. Sometimes I don't understand the mentality of these Korean people, nor their actions when they try to get violent with the riot police, which are just fucking young kids doing their mandatory services and also just put there to be used as human shields to get shitted on.

Sad.

Its a shame to see those Koreans get so fired up over fucking beef when they fail to ignore the bigger picture about the trade relations and even protests to kick the newly elected president in which the majority obviously voted for. Sometimes I don't understand the mentality of these Korean people, nor their actions when they try to get violent with the riot police, which are just fucking young kids doing their mandatory services and also just put there to be used as human shields to get shitted on.

Sad.

for realz, made me miss my bus nuff times when i lived in seongbuk-gu.

on a serious note; the mandatory service; i thought it was a bit ridiculous too - the aggression to the police who, as you said are just kids forced into the service. they dont want nor need that shit.

anyway, when you in amsterdam? lets go party soon, i need some lovin'

To be fair, the US standards are a little lax compared to SK (and Japan's) regulations. For example, parts of slaughtered cattle are still fed back into the cattle supply. A case was discovered in 2003 and it is commonly believed that incubation time for BSE is relatively long... Until recently, Japan had restrictions on US cattle and there was a relative amount of grumbling from the populace. Both South Korea and Japan were sort of bullied into lifting their sanctions, so I imagine in South Korea, a nation of crazy nationalists, this might have set them off even further.

The meat the US sends to korea is meat that they wouldn't sell in an american grocer.

President Bush even asked the USDA not to do any "rigorous testing" on meat that would be shipped to korea because it would incur costs/time, etc.

There were actually 200 cases in 2006. Mad cow is hard to diagnose and can take many many years to show symptoms (brain damage, etc)

The US told the korean embassy that importing US beef is a matter of national security (wtf?).

^that's what all my fob friends told me. I don't know what is true and what isn't but it does kind of sound like they're going overboard over there.

The meat the US sends to korea is meat that they wouldn't sell in an american grocer.

President Bush even asked the USDA not to do any "rigorous testing" on meat that would be shipped to korea because it would incur costs/time, etc.

There were actually 200 cases in 2006. Mad cow is hard to diagnose and can take many many years to show symptoms (brain damage, etc)

The US told the korean embassy that importing US beef is a matter of national security (wtf?).

^that's what all my fob friends told me. I don't know what is true and what isn't but it does kind of sound like they're going overboard over there.

None of that is true. Its just a legitimate grievance being exaggerated when the issue became a major one.

It is not true that President Bush asked the USDA to not do rigorous testing, in fact the USDA wanted to implement rigorous testing but ultimately the lobbyist for the agricultural sector convinced congress/USDA that these tests were unnecessary and too costly.

There was one confirmed case of BSE in America in 2003. Unfortunately it is true that the incubation period for BSE is unknown. It is typically believed to be 4-5 years before the onset of symptoms in Cows, however the incubation period for humans is highly debated and unknown. Because of the long incubation period, some countries placed mandatory N year bans with measures to re-examine US cattle imports afterwards.

wtf politics

left or right in pic? girl on right is clazziquai girl, show website says she was guest with two other guys. she not in that wedding show tho nor is girl on left... one of the two guys was in that wedding show with partner so maybe you talking about her?

Yeah I guess she was a guest. She appeared on a couple episodes and I also saw her on a show with all chicks in wedding dresses. She kinda smiles like Alba.

0000068450_001.jpg

Apparently she's also a comedian? Those bangs are horrible though. So many girls had those that shouldn't.

Sometimes I don't understand the mentality of these Korean people, nor their actions when they try to get violent with the riot police, which are just fucking young kids doing their mandatory services and also just put there to be used as human shields to get shitted on.

Sad.

my cousin did riot police work for his army stint.

dont feel bad for those kids at all, they love beating the crap outta ppl.

getting cut up from broken soju bottles does suck, but any aggression from the crowd is grounds for an oldschool billy club beatdown, and it sure as hell beats dying anonymously from exhaustion during army training.

your cousins fucked up, riot police work is something normal people want to avoid.

my cousin did riot police work for his army stint.

dont feel bad for those kids at all, they love beating the crap outta ppl.

getting cut up from broken soju bottles does suck, but any aggression from the crowd is grounds for an oldschool billy club beatdown, and it sure as hell beats dying anonymously from exhaustion during army training.

sounds about right. The type who'd enlist if there were no conscription, perhaps?

This is all hysteric hearsay from the internet, high school bathrooms, women's gossip... come on man, you know better than this, Korea doesn't have a great track record when it comes to these things. It'll blow over eventually and people will forget what they're saying today. Know why? Because Koreans will find something new to bitch about. Small country, small-scale media terrorism. The only difference between Koreans and Americans is that Koreans inherently trust others, and they use the internet too much.

When you sit down and eat your steak here in America, are you worried about BSE? Personally, I'd be more worried about possible e.coli or the hormonal/pharmaceutical content. It's like fucking a girl raw dog and worrying only about AIDS.

0000068450_001.jpg

The girl on the right has a disgusting face. Her titties are all hanging out, aiming for points, but I can guarantee you those are those kinda C-grade titties with a fat pepperoni nipple and no underboob. 5/10.

Girl on the left is fit, but in all truth, you will see better looking girls on Fridays and Saturdays at better clubs.

riot police also entails being in hot shitty metal box all day, without sadistic joy of billy clubbing kids.

as for beef, domestic beef industry knows shits not big deal... the protest is not really about beef now though. if korean people value anything its pride and they feel it has been violated by 2MB who only did what all past leaders have done; doing shit their way.

sounds about right. The type who'd enlist if there were no conscription, perhaps?

This is all hysteric hearsay from the internet, high school bathrooms, women's gossip... come on man, you know better than this, Korea doesn't have a great track record when it comes to these things. It'll blow over eventually and people will forget what they're saying today. Know why? Because Koreans will find something new to bitch about. Small country, small-scale media terrorism. The only difference between Koreans and Americans is that Koreans inherently trust others, and they use the internet too much.

When you sit down and eat your steak here in America, are you worried about BSE? Personally, I'd be more worried about possible e.coli or the hormonal/pharmaceutical content. It's like fucking a girl raw dog and worrying only about AIDS.

nigga, who is yo cousin? sounds like he

relieves stress beating crap out of his peers

dont care being the biggest bitch of the country; shit as long as theres air conditioning!

he dont sound so normal/important. he making the best out of forced riot police draft? wanna get bamboo piked by crazys?

^^ wow for someone who has no experience being one, you sure know alot.

ill make sure to ask my cousin whether he likes sitting in a metal box with ac, or trekking some random korean forest for 60 miles with a 50lb pack and some hotass BDU's on.

look up the stanford prison experiment.

regular army sucks homie. everyone tries to transfer out.

and if youre in that position, unfortunately you do what youre told.

it is what it is.

sorry for thread trash.

please resume celebrity boob critiques and crazy party details.

ok, I will entertain. I know I've posted parts of this story before (re: hooker hill segment earlier in thread), but I'm not sure if I shared the whole thing.

One early fall a couple years ago, I was off and on with my group of friends, especially this one guy I'd worked with who had been fired months before. He and I would still hang out once in awhile, but he had moved across town, he was completely obsessed with the poon and was making new friends at his new workplace, so meetups became far and few between, and my core group of friends weren't big club kids and I'd burned them out all winter with Hongdae, so I was doing pub rounds more often. One night this guy calls me up, tells me he put my name down on a VIP list at Garden (old AIR) and he was out with some people, so I come down to meetup with him. It's him and this Canadian guy, and my friend tells me he has been online dating lately. I SMH@ him at first, and then I look over and they'd brought 4 really really hot girls and one was the Canadian guy's girlfriend. That one was arguably over 9.5, one was smaller and cuter and did that look well, 8.5-9, the two others had fit bodies but faces holding them down to 8's. I'm impressed, and there was two random Korean guys who were there also. Garden was about the most boring club on the face of this earth, so of course the Korean guys first get tanked on the table's booze then offer to drive us up to Hongdae, they're like white people but not apparently.

We split into two cars, and we're rolling down the Kangbyundoro all fucked up on liquor in this old 2nd-generation Hyundai Grandeur listening to fucking Bob Sinclair, and eventually we make it to Hongdae by coming in the back way through that street that goes up to Shinchon rotary and goes left to Wausan-gil. We fall out of the cars, and we went to some bar and got another drink as soon as we got there to tip back up, and we went around to club Halabuge. (2nd?) Worst club ever, it's huge inside but I think 10 people may go there on a good night. We walk in, 3 of us, 4 of these really fit girls, and the 2 random Korean guys who drove had gotten lost. I'm taking a leak and the Canadian guy comes in, we're talking, and I turn around and slaps 4 tabs in my palm. I drop that shit and down them with tap water and come back out, sit at the bar. Maybe 10 minutes later I realize I am talking nonstop to the girl next to me, and that shit was freezing to me so hard, it's like 75 degree weather but my teeth are chattering and I'm scratching my thighs while talking to this girl. She is wearing a fucking red beret, a wool onesie, and these huge nerd glasses hanging off her tiny nose.

I took that girl out to the stairwell and we start making out, and I have her dress all hiked up around her stomach and my hand in her granny panties, and we go like that with her walking backward out into the street. So I'm standing there with my back to all of Hongdae on that street that runs around the corner from 7-11, and I'm sucking face with this badly dressed girl while I have my hand stuck in the front of her dress. We do that for like 5 minutes, I say we have to go, and then she says she left her stuff in the club with her friend, so we go back in. I have to like ask permission from the friend to let me leave with this girl and I'm getting all fucked off because I have the attention span of an ant at that point, and this girl was weird. She went off to the complete opposite corner of the club where it's all dark and sad looking, and is waving her finger at me. I go over there, and she pulls her neckline down and makes me suck on her titties there in the corner, and I'm starting to think that this girl isn't right. Anyhow, I say we need to get on with it if it's going on, so we get out, and then she can't remember where she parked her car. We just walk and walk, past Buy the Way, down Picasso past M2, and there is her beat up white Sonata III. She's wavering and passes me the keys and tells me I have to drive, and I'm fucked up beyond belief, but I figured if I was driving we'd have a better chance at survival, so I put the key into the door and open the driver's side, and fucking get this - this girl is so wasted she hops right in the driver's seat, puts an imaginary key in the ignition and sits there for a second. I'm standing there in the street by the door, and I point out to her that the key was still in the door, so hobbles through the window, pulls the key out, puts the key in and throws the car in gear, and tears out - over my foot.

It's about 5am at this point, so the sun is coming up, I'm there in the far reaches of Hongdae alone, have a sore foot, and I'm still amped up with a sick stomach from the liquor. I decide to kill 30 minutes til the train ran by walking to the station. I'm walking along and this white guy comes up to me trying to ask for directions in broken-ass Korean, "blah blah something uhdieyo?" and I stand there for a moment looking at him blankly, and I say "mate, I can speak English"... so me and this guy walk along towards the tube stop talking, and I tell him about the previous 5 hours events, etc etc. We get there, the trains start running, the white guy goes on the other train back home to BFE, and I realize I have no idea where I am gonna go at 5:30am but I feel like drinking a bit more, and so I'm standing in the train station and realize my only hope for a drink at Sunday 6am is Hooker Hill, so I call my friends up to regroup and hop on the train. 2nd train of the morning, and nobody on it, and I still stand up in the corner all frozen. After a bit, I realize I had gotten on the train going the wrong direction and it pulls into Chungjungro after what seems to have taken an hour, and come out and take a cab the rest of the way, through downtown.

Get up to Hooker Hill by 7am'ish, and all the fat hookers are closing up shop for the night, and all that's left is one big bar. I go in, and my friend from earlier had split off from the online dating girls and the Canadian guy, so he's there drinking with a stripper from down the street. We stay there drinking beers til about 10, the whole I'm standing upright like a prick drinking my beer and talking shit to the Nigerian guys and talking to hookers. I have a nice picture of me and my mates all together after we finish up drinking here, I may post it if I can find it. Anyhow, my night comes to a close, once again, on Hooker Hill, at 10 or 11am. This is why this place exists, there are some nights that just don't finish.

I took a cab home and crawled in around noon, sat up straight in my bed, Indian style, with my hand on my chest counting my heartbeat, and I think I posted this story on superfuture and then deleted it the next day.

yea, that was basically what I was thinkin but I'm not too schooled on the whole situation so I was wondering. Basically all I know about the issue is old korean men bitching about Bush and meat and their old army days, etc.

side note though, is there anything worth spending money on in seoul or should I just save it for tokyo? heard it's humid as hell so i'm just packing white tees and shorts.

DEPHT, buy everything in America at the sales this month, and go to Korea with beer money and all your beast gear, style on everyone. Nothing to buy in Seoul, not that much to buy in Japan unless you want Japanese labels.

sungrak, reconcile with some sleazy 부킹plz

dismal, more detail online dating???

as for depht, soju cheaper no? eat some gud food too