Kanye

Lothario

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny that people mention the size of Kanye's head and his tendency to be full of himself, yet he is one of the only mainstream rappers that consistently mentions his own flaws or the fact that he purchases items and consumes to feel better about himself. Kanye represents a dialectic. On one hand you have the boasting, braggadocious man who believes he should win every award at every awards show, on the other hand a complex person completely self consious who needs to complete himself with louis vuiton, diamonds, etc. The truth is that he represents a little bit of all of us. We all don't like to admit our flaws and at many times believe we deserve all the attention, but inside we are imperfect and human, never believing we are truly complete. Writing on SF is proof positive of our over consumption. Come on. Threads about whether BAPE is played out or where we can get the next supreme t-shirt. Kanye represents a legit image of a black male. One that is not oversexed, gangsta thug, gun clappin, bitch slappin. I think his rhymes show his complexity and the the complexity of the issues he attempts to discuss. Big ups Kanye.

"george bush doesn't care about black people"

While not being complex it did spark debate about the true feelings of our half brained president towards black people. Is bush racist... maybe not. does he care about black people? I think the proof is in his actions towards new orleans. It is also something no other celeb/politician/media correspondent would venture to say even though a lot are thinking it. Agree with the statement or not it is atleast arguable that bush doesn't care about black folk.

kanye played at a music festival at the gorge in washington this summer called sasquatch...i didnt make it out, but apparently at one point in the show he tried to freestyle and fell flat on his face...and kids all around were laughing at him....

even on his record his flow is lame...his production though is pretty rad...especially common's new one...

I don't know why so many people have been putting so much emphasis on freestylin these days, but it seems to come with that movie 8 mile. I can respect a good freestyler, but if their written shit ain't that great then what is the purpose? Many cats back in the day like rakim weren't all that great at freestylin but it is when that pen hit the paper that the magic happened. By the way i have seen kanye freestyle and it wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. A lot of cats that are known for there freestylin continually use the same lines in their flows and many times have prerehearsed lines. I ain't knockin it, but freestylin is not the true measure of an MC.

^^^^^^^

Totally agreed. For lack of a better example, you just need to look at all those dudes on BET 106 and Park who win Freestyle Friday for 7 weeks in a row and then signed to a deal and wtf are they now? Poster boy? Jin the MC?

Those guys couldn't make a hit record to save their life, even with the support of top producers and all.....

BTW, i actually like when kanye messes up on his freestyles..shows that he's human and not just spitting prerehearsed stuff..and when he's actually able to pick back up his flow, that's impressive.

.."One thing that remains unchanged is Kanye's hunger, even though his head has swollen to the point where it could be separated from his body, shot into space, and considered a planet." - allmusic

amen to that.

..buy an Outkast record. Easy as that.

...If it wasnt for bad luck I wouldn´t have any luck at all..

Edited by coolhunter on Sep 19, 2005 at 07:13 AM

when west' album came out a few years back i immediately hated on him cus I felt he was "all talk" in regards to his sociopolitical criticical jargon that basically said alot but didn't do anything. my old opinion was that You can;t really come across as a legitimate voice of alternative hip-hop or thought when you endorse (though not officially) a clothing company owned by a jewish dude that uses racist-antisemitic yuppy americana culture as his main inspiriation for design. I felt that his criticisms were basically deemed null and void because he did nothing to act on them, and even rapped about the fact that he participated fully in some of them despite his opinions. im not articulating this perfectly, but my basic opinion was that he should shut up if he couldnt back up his criticisms. I've definitely changed my opinion. in the end, he's just a normal middle class individual like alot of us on this board who, when given amazing opportunity, wealth, and fame (even though due to his own merit and considerable talent), reacted with a certain degree of poise and respectability. I think what some people perceive to be cockiness or ego is exacxtly what alot of us dreamed we could do. if i ever went to an award ceremony (though i probably never will) I would hope i'd have the foresight to criticize and insult the institution that snubbed me. I'm not black, but in my dreams i wish i could've stood up on national TV and said something like he did about the president. his words were from the heart (no matter how inarticulate or rambling they were) Kanye west represents the best and worst of the middle class: a healthy distaste for many of the societies institutions and a less than revolutionary willingness to act against them.....maybe this makes no sense, but he's definitely growing on me.

I second that!!!!!!!

I also talk shit on many brands of clothing. Nike, Levis, etc. I am against sweat shop labor, yet every once in a while i will buy crap from these brands. Are they against my ideals? Yes. Do my wants and needs get mixed up sometimes? Yes. Do i need nike dunks? no. Do they make me feel good? Hell yeah.

"Why everything that's suppose to be bad make me feel so good?"

Kanye on Addiction

Once again he is a multidimensional mainstream artist. Makes white folks think, "Huh maybe all black folk ain't just drug dealers, pimps, and hustlaz."

low profile has an ally in themdouble...

Y'all gotta be fuckin' kidding me with this "consciousness" shit?

Kanye is fresh & all but at the end of the day he's TRL plain & simple.

He writes some Jesus & some diamonds shit & all of a sudden he's a "last poet"?

Yeah Kanye is a real revolutionary... I'm also laughing out loud lo pro...

-Dub

Revolutionary or not he represents a return to normalcy for hip hop where how many times you got shot or how much weight you were moving has nothing to do with how "real" you are. Unfortunately, Saigon, dead prez, immortal technique, paris, etc. will not get much air play in todays mainstream hip hop scene. I am not saying that Kanye is more conscious than these cats, but he does have enough influence to bend the mainstream hip hop scene far enough his way so that those types of cats can get some more exposure. He has also had the power to bring about a discussion in america about race politics. Kanye saying that bush doesn't care about black folk, caused people to look at race in america opening many eyes to the oppressed. I don't think much of that discussion about the race politics of Katrina would have been had if it was not for Kanye's comments. Best rapper alive? Definitely not. Most conscious? Definitely not. Is he a breath of fresh air? Hell yeah.

Also, I bet all the folks on this forum who are sweatin Kanye and his abilities would be down with him if he chose to be underground and not sign to rocafella.

Also I love paris, immortal, et al, but i think they are preachin to the choir in their shows.

PEACE