How much is too much for gear?

Granted this is a subjective question, but I figure there's got to be a limit that's generally acceptable (and not acceptable) to even the sophisticated collector/consumer. It seems Rogan has kind of pushed the price point on denim up above the $200 mark, despite being made from domestic denim. I know denim like RPM starts at about $450 and can climb up above $1000, but it seems like Rogan were the first of the underdogs that made it ok to push denim from $160 or so to often times upwards of $240. Even their hoodies and tees are a grip at $180 and $60 respectively and happen to be made in the USA and Canada.

PRPS hovers at the $240 range for denim and $40 for tees. Perhaps justified since it's African cotton and Japanese denim.

For those that do pay the premium, how often would you say that you pick up new items?

Personally, I'll pay the $240 for denim if it's truly quality since denim has longevity, but I can't help but think twice when paying $40 for a tee. I guess, I don't have consistent shopping habits, but I do pick up a couple pairs of denim a year, and at least a shirt or two every couple weeks.

On a somewhat related note, I was also curious what people's opinions were on where they're purchase they gear. Perhaps it's a little easier to justify a $40 tee over a $24 one when you have to go to a major city and still hunt it down to get one of the last three on the shelf. There was a time not too long ago when Rogan was an unheard of brand stocked nowhere except Alife. Although that particular brand is far from saturated, it is being sold at Barney's Co-op, Bergdorf Goodman, and around 250 other retailers worldwide. Does that make it less credible or less desirable than a brand like Supreme thats barely available from a small handful of select shops worldwide?

I suppose ultimately I choose on quality of materials and craftsmanship, but I suppose I also wouldn't want to see it in every third shop down the strip.

Edited by misteraven on Jul 9, 2004 at 07:06 AM

Just don't pay for hype... most brands today have jumped on the limited edition bandwagon and charge a grip for hype. Personaly I feel there are only 1 or 2 brands that are deserving of the higher prices asked for. A brand like zro/LINK is hand made from high quality materials and is produced in limited runs. It's probably THE hardest brand to find but then again you're guaranteed not to come across someone sportin the same gear as you. MOST importantly... they have THE sickest designs out... their stuff breaks necks... not just wallets. When it comes down to it... if YOU like it, you'll pay for it. If you start askin' yourself whether it's worth what's being asked... it's probably not.

Eggh, i think it depends on your buying/ spending habbits. I just paid like $160 for a pair of jeans, with no hesitation, at DDC Labs... but no doublt they got pieces there that go for $265.

The crazyness I don't get is Evisu Jeans here in NYC at around $400!!! Crazyness! In Seoul, S.Korea they got for about $100. But still, right now, I don;t think I could justify spending that kind of money on denim.

Too much too much.

Paying $160 for jeans these days feels like a bargain to me. It seems like everything I look at is at least over $200. Same goes with t-shirts... If I find something I like under $32, it feels like a discount item.

I guess it's true that 'expensive' is a relative term to what your income might be, but I figure that with this being an international cross section of consumers, that we'd see quite a few varied answers. Then again, most compnaies set similar price points, so I guess that forces you into a certain spending amount, leaving a qestion of spending patterns.

I shop for shirts as often as I see something I like which works out to a few times a month if I'm lucky. As far as denim, I'd say a couple pairs a year. maybe one or two for fall, and one in spring. Guess that also depends on if something catches my attention.

i agree that the price you are willing to spend on gear is relative

as long as the design is unique and quality is good, i am willing to spend more... i mean, no point paying $60 for a tee if the collar is gonna run or its gonna shrink after 2 washes

i usually pay retail for tees, thankfully thru' contacts' help

as for jeans, i'm just biased towards levi's.. lol... its truly worth it to get the vintage collections rather than from some fashion label with no history or contribution[like fabric, washes, cutting] to the denim, other than a hip tag label

at the end, i feel anyone should get anything they fancy, as long as they feel its worth it... or if they have money to throw... :)

http://www.geocities.com/edvedsimon/bapeindex.html

I agree with xymon, as long as its a unique and high quality product, high pricing will not deter me..

Brands like Community charge 70-150 for a t-shirt, but i find that the quality matches up to the price. The material, and details [stitching] is outstanding, not to mention the fact that your usually paying the extra money for embroidery or a layered tee, not just a screen printed tee.

lets start from head to toe...

caps/hats -- i'm not looking good with it so is $0

glasses/sunglasses -- the most expensive i paid for it is around $200, won't be more.

accessories -- around $150 to $200 maybe? hermes rings are too pricey for me althought i reallly like.

tee -- $100

shirt -- $150

jacket -- probably $400 if it's really really i like.

jeans -- yea i don't pay that $$$ for dior homme but i do spend the same amount for LVC (ebay price is better tho)

shoes -- $300

it really depends on my mood in that moment, and how many card credit left of course

I agree with those who are willing to pay a bit more for quality, but paying an extra hundred bucks for a name is silly in my book. Some people look good in brand X, others in brand Y, but the point is looking good and being comfortable.

My pet peeve can be summed up in three words - Louis Vuitton sneakers. I'm a believer in the concept of form follows fuction and I know that these $400 bad boys cannot compete with a $100 sneakers from Nike, Adidas or Puma from a performace standpoint.

I think it's also worth noting that certain items have a longer life span than others. Spending extra on shoes or jackets or other items that you'll have for years is different than buying a $300 dollar pair of jeans that will likely have paint on them within 6 months.

:)

There might be kudos attached to flashing a £150.00 designer label shirt on a night out, but give it to a homeless people on a cold evening and he or she would think it useless and a waste of money. I think I fall somewhere between the two. I don't mind paying a little extra for quality and function but not over the odds. I'd rather spend the difference on good books or a weekend away.

I think those who spend thousands of pounds of clothes to look good will easily be

out-trumped by someone with a great body and posture

There might be kudos attached to flashing a £150.00 designer label shirt on a night out, but give it to a homeless people on a cold evening and he or she would think it useless and a waste of money. I think I fall somewhere between the two. I don't mind paying a little extra for quality and function but not over the odds. I'd rather spend the difference on good books or a weekend away.

I think those who spend thousands of pounds of clothes to look good will easily be

out-trumped by someone with a great body and posture

There might be kudos attached to wearing a £200 designer label shirt on a night out but give it to a homeless person on a cold evening and he or she would think it useless and a gross waste of money. I'm sure the same would apply on a steamy night too. I think I fall somewhere between the two. I don't mind paying a little extra for quality and function but not over the odds. I'd rather spend the difference on good books or a weekend away.

I think those who spend thousands of pounds/dollars on clothes to look good will easily be out-trumped by someone with a great body and posture. If you have both then lucky you!

Even craftsmanship doesn't warrant TOO much money. My personal favorite are vintage Levi 517s- great cut, if they are old enough the wash is killer AND REAL (no fake vintage wash), and they will last forever unless you skateboard or something then they will rip haha. Plus they are between 2-30 dollars depending if you get lucky or not. The most expensive jeans I have are diesel stretch men's jeans which are awesome because they feel like you are wearing sweatpants but look really nice. I do admit my friends $400 Helmut Langs look pretty sick though....

hmm.. how much i'll pay really depends on how much im feeling that item..

but..

tee <200

collared shirt/cutsew/sweater <250

jacket <350

pants/jeans <400

thats pretty much the max i would pay.. but that doesnn't mean i actually own anything that costs that much haha