Denim in Seoul

fndmybetterhalf

I'll be heading to Seoul for a week or so in late March. Unfortunately, my plans to stop by Japan for a couple days fell through so my plans on picking up a couple pairs of Samurais wont be happening.

I'm wondering if there are any stores in Seoul or Korea in general that carries any Sammies, or Eternals or any japanese denim in general.

Nah, no chance in hell. They used to sell original Japanese Evisu at like $400 a pop over there through Ssamzie many years ago, but that didn't last and they lost the name. There's nothing worth buying in Korea; Koreans would be in heaven if given a chance to by what we Americans can get, at the prices we pay.

^ paying for that probably leads to the syndrome nowadays, unfortunately. Probably safer to go out Korean style, that is, put on lots of D&G diffusion, spray yourself down with a few squirts of eau de nouveau riche, and hit up a club and pull a solid 7 who talks lots of shit but turns out to mysteriously still be a virgin at age 23.

that sounds solid too.

mystery meat.

btw chris you can take a plane from seoul to fukuoka in like 1.5 hours if you feel like copping that kind of shit. it can be done in a day-trip style if you dont mind dropping $400-500.

actually, now that i think about it, what the fuck is the point of that?

you might as well just proxy that shit forreals.

haha yeah my thoughts exactly. originally i was supposed to stay in japan for 2-3 days then rest in korea. but work and schedule-wise just doesnt work. my week in korea is gonna be hectic, bouncing from one place to another.

yeah im t abit bummed about namdaemoon.

unfortunately, half my visit will be in Daejon visiting the grandparents i havent seen in years. also unfortunately, after one too many drunken mishaps, i am 100% sober :)

8 months and counting i believe.

but ill be there from March 22nd to 29th

You can always robocop some blue New Standards for the equivalent of like $225 if you start to fiend for some denim....

I'm sober and quit smoking, so I turned in my Korean card with my last pack of Marlboro Lights, but Korea doesn't sound too fun done sober... some things over there are just so surreal that they're just better when done with a belly full of whiskey and cigarette for when it's all done.

yeah, quit drinking but cant say ive completely quit the cigarettes yet. used to smoke a good half a pack a day. used to talk to minho (dryice), sidneylo, rirawin, and some others on Skype awhile ago and me and minho would take cig breaks every 20-30 minutes.

ive succesfully cut down to maybe one or two every month or so during high stress periods but gf gets upset everytime i reak of cigs

That Evisu is Korean edition Evisu, a development of the past couple years since Ssamzie proved they couldn't sell Japanese No 1/2 at $400 per. On this new fake Evisu in those stores like that, there's no selvedge, no nice denim, they just licensed the name and the gulls and painted them all over a bunch of crappy predistressed wideloom denim.

thenativegaze is a really cool kid, he does things his own way over there and makes his own circles to run in, so respect for that. Drop him a line; also go pick up an issue of 칠 (Chil) from the ziploc baggy cocktail bar in Hongdae or Habitat Cafe in Haebangchon and see what kids are up to, go to some Myungwolgwan parties and pick on Korean neu-rave poseur kids, they are always doing something.

Also, T, I don't know if you're the sort to be a mud covered stud on Sundays, but he and the rest of that lot were playing a bit of football on Sunday mornings I think, last I heard. I suppose if you're keen then bringing your boots from home would be a good idea.

i love how any jetset thread about korea turns into a discussion about drinking and cheap hookups

Thats the only thing to do in Korea. Simply drinking, cheap hookups and doing the obligatory anma run.

not about denim, but;

when you get to seoul gimme a shout, i should be there by then, we should do a mini sufu-love-fest :D

also - are any of you sufu homos linked to dailyprojects, nativegaze, dos and dos etc.?!? drop me a line.

Definitely lets connect. I'll try to drag kimcheegirl by her hair and make her come out for this one.

As for dailyprojects, I have a good friend who might be able to link you with that crew. Don't quote me on this yet but I'll make some general inquiries.

Dismal - seems like you aint coming back. not much has changed asides from the weather and club venues. might make the venture to Hongdae this week to check out Underlounge, as I'm getting sick and tired of Mass and Answer and Kangnam in general.

Man, after everything, really can't be fucked to go all the way back over there. I have been hemming and hawing but might drop by once more a little later on when I do a round the worlder.

I'm still being a layabout and getting back issues on American pop culture for the past 5 years I missed, so lately I'm redoing my iTunes, riding my fixie, trying to get a GT28 kit on my Avant, and I miss puffy nipples and Thursday afternoon love naps so much that I am enrolling in school again starting next semester to work on my third bachelor's degree. I will have to find a way to burn off that open return ticket I have to Korea before it expires in September though.

i still have yet to visit a korean anma bang so this summer, if you would be so kind dizz to take me to one of the better anma bangs in korea it would be appreciated.

and also theres that fake evisu store in itaewon too. i thought it was all legit so i went and this was like 2-3 years back. i was like wow evisu heaven and bought some wack ass jeans with red gull and a U on the left pocket to find out it was fake once i researched it after my return to the states.

dismal, you have an audi avant?

dismal - yah, i spoke to ben (native gayz) briefly.. seemed an alright guy - and although the work on the site varies, its a great project :)

and dizz- definately lunch/dinner/beers in seoul city! - would be great if you could matchmake.com me with the daily projects crew, but either way, definately stil worth a meetup!

im stil kinda torn if i should live sinchon/hongdae/younsei area or in gireum (wher my uni campus is) - any imput?

if ur looking for anma/bbakchon joints gireum isnt all that bad,

but other than that and a multitude of chicken/hof spots thats all there is to it

that hongdae shinchon area is definitely where u wanna head.

chances are, even though ur school is in that district the boys will head out to other places to party. if ur gnna hit up atown or chungdam then....either way ur shafted gireum and hongdae are pretty much equidistant from there

hongdae is right up there next to itaewon/city hall/insadong also

i guess the question is....what are u looking for?

hongdae is nice on weekends, but imagine commuting every single goddamn morning with all those ajummas shovin them cocofun flyers in ur face

public transportation is gangsta in the homeland but u know u gotta roll in cabs homie, and drinking+cabs+college= lots of money down the drain (if u dont live in the heart of it all)

PS

mik23 ACE ANMA FTW

PPS

word to dizz n rdy2ignt. back in the rok u gotta soj and boj, thats the only way to roll

hongdae is nice on weekends, but imagine commuting every single goddamn morning with all those ajummas shovin them cocofun flyers in ur face

bahaha, word. Everybody commutes though, Seoul is too low-built still.

I've lived all over Seoul and honestly you can never be in the thick of it all, because it's not humanly possible to go to Hongdae every night for 8 months on end and not get sick of it, trust me I've done it before. You will end up switching it up, and end up traveling for jollies since everyone will hit the wall and won't be able to do Hongdae/Itaewon/Apku in moderate rotation and occasionally you will get depressed and turn to Hyehwa and Guhndae or Jamshil/Shinchun even.

taxi fares before the midnight rise:

Seongbuk-gu main drag to Hongdae Picasso is like 8,000W cab fare, 10K if you're getting fleeced

Seongbuk-gu to Chungdam or Galleria if you go through Wangsimni isl ike 10K flat usually

Seongbuk-gu to Itaewon is 6000W the fast way, 8,000 the usual way

Seongubk-gu to Myongdong, like 4,000

Shinchon to Seongbuk, 6,000W, but bus 272 is approx 1.5 minutes slower and 700W

Shinchon to Itaewon, like 6-8,000W

Shinchon to Apku, like 10-14,000W depending on downtown traffic on Taepyung-no, but a terrible ride that is better done on old bus 11 (forgot the new number)

Itaewon is closer to everything but line 6 sucks so taxis from Itaewon to everywhere are like 6,000W across the board.