Fingathing

Best Non-SLR digital camera

lol @ canon G10 having 14.7mp! Who wants that in a p&s!?

The screen should look absolutely incredible though, as the G9 screen is already pretty awesome.

It's a shame that Canon is still playing Megapixel Wars. The G10 looks like the G9.1 unfortunately :(

I was hoping for them to stir everything up again.

I just can't get over the brickness of the G9/G10 but the availability and pricing will for sure make it a popular choice among everybody.

my G9 just broke, so the whole G9 recomendation is off the table.

just stopped working. totally fucking lame.

boo fucking hoo.

my G9 just broke, so the whole G9 recomendation is off the table.

just stopped working. totally fucking lame.

boo fucking hoo.

how long have you had it? did you buy it from a reputable dealer? has canon completely refused to warranty it?

not fair to completely discredit a camera without more information.

DP2, G10, GX200, D-Lux 4, LX-3

What's your pick haha...

Although I thought Ricoh would have brought something out to replace GRDII albeit it's only about a year old.

the d-lux is just an lx3 with a higher price tag and a red dot on the front

the gx200 is too noisy to be worthwhile

the GRDII, DP1, LX-3, and G10 (?) are all good and have ups and downs

DP1 has the best colour reproduction of all of them but is fairly slow. The GRDII is faster and superb in every regard but the colours aren't as perfect. The LX-3 adds some zoom and a few extra features mainly aimed at consumers (or those who, like me, are too lazy to work with RAW). Also it opens up to F/2.0 which is better than every other compact as far as I know. Haven't read much about the G10.

Initially reports on the G10 show a lot of promise in ISO400/800 albeit compared to GX200

"And I must admit, that I really liked it. It felt very solid, the dials gave resistance and a clear click and worked superb. The screen was pretty good, and the OVF was larger too (than the G9). I made a few photographs at ISO 400 and ISO 800 and was amazed by the details and the amount (or should I say lack) of noise. Only some noise to be spotted in darker areas, but much better than my GX200."

http://wouter28mm.wordpress.com/2008/09/25/photokina-2008/#more-567

fuck. just dropped my lx3. it fell a solid meter onto my desk, then another onto the wooden floor. it was on. it is now off.

okay, it turns on and on first impression it looks to be (largely unharmed). focus upon turning on again took like 10 seconds though. can't help but think i've fucked something. what should i do? get an inspection somewhere?

fuck. i'm an idiot.

i dropped my G9 last week. Lens was out and it fell right on the end, after that lens wouldn't retract. Canon says $160 for a new lens assembly :(

I just bought a G10.

So far so good.

Anybody got some good resources for learning some of the basics seeing as it's quite new to me?

just jumped on the g10 wagon as well. my g9 broke as i mentioned earlier in this thread... so far so good. its a wider lens, but the body is not made as well, plastic now, used to be metal, not so war ready, but still nice, will post pics once i take one worth sharing.

why bother with the g-series at all? at that price you can get a (used) dslr and take better pictures. is it just the size? the g's aren't even pocketable.

i had a Canon G9. i loved it up until the day i lost it at a bar. bummer. it was pretty sturdy and had a lot of manual options. there are a lot of really cool 3rd party products for it as well. (franiec/lensmate). im still thinking if i should get a g10 or wait until more "Micro Four Thirds" type cameras step into the market.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

it has great print quality at 13x19'' and smaller. *shrug*

the g10 is the last hurrah of high-end, small sensor p&s. small cameras with big sensors are on the way. :D

I don't necessarily think so. I still think CMOS' in small compact cameras are still no easy feat. Sigma DP2 still sucks and really hasn't offered up anything all that great. I say give it still a few more years, however the increased buffer for shooting RAW in compacts is a welcome addition.

why bother with the g-series at all? at that price you can get a (used) dslr and take better pictures. is it just the size? the g's aren't even pocketable.

they fit into a coat pocket or you can just throw them into whatever bag you keep on you

you pretty much need a separate bag for a dslr

So far I love my G10.

I bought it so my wife could just use it as a point and shoot and still fit it in her purse. And so that I could start learning some manual photography... I'm sure i'll want a dslr at some point but I feel like this is a good starting point.

thinking about a new cam..wat's the best/cheapest one i can get w/ interchangeable lenses?

thinking about a new cam..wat's the best/cheapest one i can get w/ interchangeable lenses?

You're asking for an SLR in the "Non-SLR" thread, but to answer your question, the Olympus E-410 with the 2 lens kit, $499. Later on, buy the 25mm pancake lens. Or if you're only interested in Nikon & Canon, get a Nikon D40.