Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

my G9 just broke, so the whole G9 recomendation is off the table.

just stopped working. totally fucking lame.

boo fucking hoo.

how long have you had it? did you buy it from a reputable dealer? has canon completely refused to warranty it?

not fair to completely discredit a camera without more information.

the d-lux is just an lx3 with a higher price tag and a red dot on the front

the gx200 is too noisy to be worthwhile

the GRDII, DP1, LX-3, and G10 (?) are all good and have ups and downs

DP1 has the best colour reproduction of all of them but is fairly slow. The GRDII is faster and superb in every regard but the colours aren't as perfect. The LX-3 adds some zoom and a few extra features mainly aimed at consumers (or those who, like me, are too lazy to work with RAW). Also it opens up to F/2.0 which is better than every other compact as far as I know. Haven't read much about the G10.

Initially reports on the G10 show a lot of promise in ISO400/800 albeit compared to GX200

"And I must admit, that I really liked it. It felt very solid, the dials gave resistance and a clear click and worked superb. The screen was pretty good, and the OVF was larger too (than the G9). I made a few photographs at ISO 400 and ISO 800 and was amazed by the details and the amount (or should I say lack) of noise. Only some noise to be spotted in darker areas, but much better than my GX200."

http://wouter28mm.wordpress.com/2008/09/25/photokina-2008/#more-567

fuck. just dropped my lx3. it fell a solid meter onto my desk, then another onto the wooden floor. it was on. it is now off.

okay, it turns on and on first impression it looks to be (largely unharmed). focus upon turning on again took like 10 seconds though. can't help but think i've fucked something. what should i do? get an inspection somewhere?

fuck. i'm an idiot.

• 4 weeks later...

just jumped on the g10 wagon as well. my g9 broke as i mentioned earlier in this thread... so far so good. its a wider lens, but the body is not made as well, plastic now, used to be metal, not so war ready, but still nice, will post pics once i take one worth sharing.

i had a Canon G9. i loved it up until the day i lost it at a bar. bummer. it was pretty sturdy and had a lot of manual options. there are a lot of really cool 3rd party products for it as well. (franiec/lensmate). im still thinking if i should get a g10 or wait until more "Micro Four Thirds" type cameras step into the market.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

it has great print quality at 13x19'' and smaller. *shrug*

the g10 is the last hurrah of high-end, small sensor p&s. small cameras with big sensors are on the way. :D

I don't necessarily think so. I still think CMOS' in small compact cameras are still no easy feat. Sigma DP2 still sucks and really hasn't offered up anything all that great. I say give it still a few more years, however the increased buffer for shooting RAW in compacts is a welcome addition.

• 2 weeks later...
thinking about a new cam..wat's the best/cheapest one i can get w/ interchangeable lenses?

You're asking for an SLR in the "Non-SLR" thread, but to answer your question, the Olympus E-410 with the 2 lens kit, $499. Later on, buy the 25mm pancake lens. Or if you're only interested in Nikon & Canon, get a Nikon D40.

thinking about a new cam..wat's the best/cheapest one i can get w/ interchangeable lenses?

Get a G9... and you can buy the adapter tube and use lenses like wide-angle/fish-eye/telephoto

G9 seems cheapest right now