pretty amazing specs:

hd vid recording

f 2.0

24mm lecia lens

iso 3200

full manual controls

specs.

panasonic-lx3.jpg

shit yeah, i've been waiting for this update. was about to buy a LX2 but looks like its a good thing i waited. presumably leica will be co-releasing a D-LUX4?

anyone have the lowdown on release date? i remember there was speculation it would be post-photokina in sept...

edit: theyre saying late aug., $500 - good.

^ I really want to see low light test shots. Also is the 24mm for all three aspect ratios?

Yeah it holds the field of view for all 3 aspect ratios, unlike the LX2 and LX1. Of course the hi iso shots are where Panasonic has always fallen short in the past so this is what needs to be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

i honestly have no idea when i'll get it, i preordered it from amazon to my dad's US p.o. box. ($500 vs €500, even if i get taxed to hell and back i still save money)

those sample pictures above are complete crap, the guy had no idea of what he was doing. there is a second set of sample pictures from the same event taken by a different guy (its one of the first google results for panasonic lx3) and they are much better. the noise reduction algorithm is of course still at work but i dont mind because i mainly want this camera for casual shots but still like to have manual controls, and would generally be too lazy to noise ninja the photos anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What is the best "i just want to press the shutter" camera for a friend? She has no knowledge of photography and no desire to gain any, but wants decent performance especially at night.

I've played with the Samsung NV series in the past and liked them quite a bit, and it seems people online are fond of the Fuji F30. What's best for just shooting in auto mode all the time?

first lx3 impressions: really good. F/2 isn't just a gimmick, it actually takes great pictures wide open. Flash is surprisingly good for a compact, and there's always the hotshoe.

Live view kind of sucks, it was much smoother on my ancient Canon Ixus.

colours are not quite as nice as on the DP1 but it's much faster and better to use

not as noisy as the GX100 (haven't used the 200 yet)

better in every regard than the G9 (but the G10 should be announced soon)

have never used a GRD or GRD2 so can't make a judgment on that

BIG PROBLEM: Rounded sides mean that you can't just put it on a desk sideways to take your waywt picture. You should seriously consider this before making a purchase.