Fingathing

Best Non-SLR digital camera

M8 is a little more than a bit more cash. I think if any of us COULD, we would grab one in a heart beat. :)

I would agree on the film cameras, with two caveats. First, unless you have your own development studio or access to one, you're at the mercy of the film developer, especially with color film. Second, for any beginner the best part about digital is that you have instant feedback, often even with some handy info like exposure histograms or whatever.

Also, the guy bashing the Ricohs eventually gave up. In the end it seemed like any setup not exactly like his DSLR was "wrong", which is never the case. I mean even those broken down plastic Lomo cameras make interesting shots...

For film if you have a dark bag and a bathroom the actual studio isnt the problem so much as most people dont want to take the effort to learn how to do it properly. Everyone loves instant feedback but based on my personal experience id say that often people who start with film learn from their mistakes more quickly while people that start with digital will often just end up with 10x more pics and 10x more crap.

Yeah the Ricohs are great, if they could stick a decent aps chip in a grd and give me a gr35d and a gr50d as well id be set for a loooong time. Well, at least until they managed to squeeze in a 24x36 chip. Nothing compares to all mechanical controls but for compacts the Ricohs are damn fast in operation.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

pretty amazing specs:

hd vid recording

f 2.0

24mm lecia lens

iso 3200

full manual controls

specs.

panasonic-lx3.jpg

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

pretty amazing specs:

hd vid recording

f 2.0

24mm lecia lens

iso 3200

full manual controls

specs.

panasonic-lx3.jpg

shit yeah, i've been waiting for this update. was about to buy a LX2 but looks like its a good thing i waited. presumably leica will be co-releasing a D-LUX4?

anyone have the lowdown on release date? i remember there was speculation it would be post-photokina in sept...

edit: theyre saying late aug., $500 - good.

^ I really want to see low light test shots. Also is the 24mm for all three aspect ratios?

Yeah it holds the field of view for all 3 aspect ratios, unlike the LX2 and LX1. Of course the hi iso shots are where Panasonic has always fallen short in the past so this is what needs to be seen.

Promising!

Considering the film natura 1.9 was apparently pretty good, this sounds interesting..

Ah - though it may just be a shitty rumour ]:

I just preordered the Panasonic LX3 after reading early reviews. Only 500 dollars, so after selling my SLR I'm actually left with some extra money to buy ATTACHMENT

^^^ let us know how it goes, prof

are they still saying late august drop?

i honestly have no idea when i'll get it, i preordered it from amazon to my dad's US p.o. box. ($500 vs €500, even if i get taxed to hell and back i still save money)

those sample pictures above are complete crap, the guy had no idea of what he was doing. there is a second set of sample pictures from the same event taken by a different guy (its one of the first google results for panasonic lx3) and they are much better. the noise reduction algorithm is of course still at work but i dont mind because i mainly want this camera for casual shots but still like to have manual controls, and would generally be too lazy to noise ninja the photos anyways.

I've had my G9 for eight months and i've been perfectly happy with it.

Learn the manual controls and the camera will treat you very well.

That DP1 is pretty sweet though. If i had more to spend i'd definitely be hitting that up.

^^^ yeah, pretty sure i'll go pick up one tomorrow.

anyone else had a play yet?

whats the big deal about micro 4/3? its like 10% smaller than an actual dslr.

my lx3 got here, im picking it up tomorrow. will post impressions.

ive been pretty satisfied with my lx3 so far

will also get some shots up here soon

What is the best "i just want to press the shutter" camera for a friend? She has no knowledge of photography and no desire to gain any, but wants decent performance especially at night.

I've played with the Samsung NV series in the past and liked them quite a bit, and it seems people online are fond of the Fuji F30. What's best for just shooting in auto mode all the time?

Most of my friends who own IXUS series cameras from Canon have been quite happy.

I think Canon is the best and easiest to use. I get one for my mom and aunt every 2 years or so and they work very well. Make sure it has image stabilization.

What is the best "i just want to press the shutter" camera for a friend? She has no knowledge of photography and no desire to gain any, but wants decent performance especially at night.

Fuji F10/F11

first lx3 impressions: really good. F/2 isn't just a gimmick, it actually takes great pictures wide open. Flash is surprisingly good for a compact, and there's always the hotshoe.

Live view kind of sucks, it was much smoother on my ancient Canon Ixus.

colours are not quite as nice as on the DP1 but it's much faster and better to use

not as noisy as the GX100 (haven't used the 200 yet)

better in every regard than the G9 (but the G10 should be announced soon)

have never used a GRD or GRD2 so can't make a judgment on that

BIG PROBLEM: Rounded sides mean that you can't just put it on a desk sideways to take your waywt picture. You should seriously consider this before making a purchase.