Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

Two very different animals. Fixed lens vs zoom, large compact sensor vs APS-sized, Hybrid viewfinder vs. optical-only (and then somewhat less useful than the OVF in the X100).

The X10 didn't interest me - in a compact, I'd rather have something like the GRD4 (fixed, fast lens, small package). I'm very fond of my X100, even with its shortcomings (slow, slow operation without a UHS-1 card, slow AF), because it's as close to using my Hexar AF or Leica M4 as I've come in the digital realm.

Two very different animals. Fixed lens vs zoom, large compact sensor vs APS-sized, Hybrid viewfinder vs. optical-only (and then somewhat less useful than the OVF in the X100).

The X10 didn't interest me - in a compact, I'd rather have something like the GRD4 (fixed, fast lens, small package). I'm very fond of my X100, even with its shortcomings (slow, slow operation without a UHS-1 card, slow AF), because it's as close to using my Hexar AF or Leica M4 as I've come in the digital realm.

the X10 and GRD IV has too small of a sensor... Canon got the right sensor in the G1X, but put the wrong lens...

now if we can have the lens on LX3 and the sensor on G1X in a decent sized package then we have a winner..

I like my film SLR. I like winding the film, adjusting focus/aperture/speed/etc. etc. manually. Developing the film myself.

Just like books > "e-readers" and records > digital.

you can talk about film stuff here http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php?/topic/98393-film-cameras-medium-format-large-format-35mm-whatever/

Probably a model without the EVF or OVF - maybe they'll sell an add-on EVF or just assume buyers will be happy with the LCD screen.

I hear Olympus might be debuting a 'pro' line of micro-4/3 with a built-in EVF. If the sensor improves even a little (cleaner 1600/3200, etc.) and it's priced closer to the NEX-7 than Xpro-1, that will be an interesting camera. I love the Panasonic 20mm for m4/3.

all people care about is the 'x' on the zoom, they don't really look at the focal lengths..

here are two pictures I took with my new X100.. there's a love and hate relationship with this camera.. the menu interface is one of the worst I've used (who da fuck buries auto ISO deep into the settings menu and not put it at the ISO menu, the camera also don't remember minute adjustments to the aperture and shutter if you want to do manual exposure)..

the camera does take nice pictures tho

6699081473_638e1df639_z.jpg

6699081845_45daf1378c_z.jpg

You can change the iso with the fn button.

I love the x100 you can literally bring it anywhere. Ill stick it in a glove and put it in my bag or in my chicks purse. I hate carrying around a camera but now its an afterthought.

Ran into the lead singer of Dir En grey outside starbucks

6521967081_e3811bc434.jpg

kyo, Dir en Grey. by MrEllis, on Flickr

life of an umbrella

6428556117_f88abc9db0.jpg

Life of an umbrella by MrEllis, on Flickr

Random demonstration/protest I just happened to walk past

6655479063_ce737e6b01.jpg

protest by MrEllis, on Flickr

the x-Pro will be epic. Ive read that it has better resolution than the 5d and d700 and comparable ISO performance. Thats amazing but I think ill hold out for a 2nd generation x100 with an even faster lens. I perfer the x100s size.

Edited by koven

Posted · Hidden by OTL, February 14, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by OTL, February 14, 2012 - No reason given

I think I'm gonna sell my e-p2...comes with 14-42 lens w/ bw filter, 4gb sd has minor scratches nothing serious.

thinking around $350 anyone interested pm me.

• 3 weeks later...

Desperately need a P/S for a project and I need an all purpose camera anyway so I don't mind spending around $500. What are my best options? So far I'm considering the Canon S95/S100, Panasonic GF1, or Fuji X10.Any new models coming up soon to consider?

Trying to debate whether or not the upgrade to S100 is worth the extra $100. Also I'm not sure how the two Canons compare to the GF1 or X10 either but both of those look like solid options with the sacrifice of a little bit of portability. Any advice?

Edited by Method

^ canon s100.. super portable, great image quality, really efficient button lay out, also quite durable (i put a huge dent into the front of mine while filming skating, and ive dropped mine into a river.. and it still works fine). i can't really say how it compares with a gf1 or x10, but with my past experience with panasonics (lx5), the canon was a much more solid camera, the body itself and the menu/operating of the camera. the panasonic just felt cheap compared to the canon. yeah the x10 looks beautiful, but seems like youd be getting the same quality and functions but with a smaller camera that cost less money. the s100 really is the perfect point and shoot.. personally id get a dslr over a gf1, but thats just me.

Desperately need a P/S for a project and I need an all purpose camera anyway so I don't mind spending around $500. What are my best options? So far I'm considering the Canon S95/S100, Panasonic GF1, or Fuji X10.Any new models coming up soon to consider?

Trying to debate whether or not the upgrade to S100 is worth the extra $100. Also I'm not sure how the two Canons compare to the GF1 or X10 either but both of those look like solid options with the sacrifice of a little bit of portability. Any advice?

strictly talking Image Quality and low light capabilities: GF1 > X10 > S95/100

GF1 w/ 20mm 1.7 will be the best option out of the three

I would actually take the X10 over the GF1 w/ 14-45... but that's just me..

e-p2's body is better than gf1, lumix lens are better though

agreed, I personally have opted for the E-PL1 over the GF1 when I was shooting M43 because Oly has better jpg color rendition and have in body IS... it worked better for primes and lenses without IS such as the 20 1.7

I'd like to pick up a rangefinder soon as lugging a dslr around daily really wears on you after awhile. Would like an M9, but I can't justify the cost unless I'm making some good money off my work. The x100 is appealing as is the X-Pro 1. I know this is the digital thread, however, the only other option I'm thinking might be hunting out a good deal on an M6. Any suggestions from those that may have worked with these?

Edited by 8bpc

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

^^ i dont think sonys have interface good for shooting...

ricoh gr digital!!!

• 1 month later...