Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

The G11 is better then the S90. Just. I mean, both practically the same camera but S90's dial are too small, battery is shit but has faster lens. And if you have big hands, don't even think about the S90... I have a G11 for when I can't be bothered to huck around my 1Ds MKII and you know what, amazing camera. The only problem with the G11 is that they try to sell it to you like you should by an external flash. Seriously? My 580EX is like 4 times as big as the G11!

the NEX is too "newb" friendly. I hate how there is no program buttons to choose on the top and that everything has to be set within the LCD menu.

unlike other compitition, like the GF-1/G11, at least you can control some of the basics with knobs.

• 2 months later...

^ lol, I just picked up an LX3 from a graduate student for $270.

Very happy, especially after toting a D80 and lenses around for years. Much easier now to take stupid photos and junk. ;)

LX3 for $270 is a damn good price. pocketability was the only issue i had with it.

the s90 display is way nicer though. that being said, if i could find more film, id probably lug around my polaroid SLR 680 :)

edit: but then again, thats an SLR and its not digital.

• 5 weeks later...

left my canon s90 at a fucking olive garden in arkansas last night .. now im back in florida and i called and they didnt find it. was thinking about going with the canon s95 as an upgrade but after much research the panasonic lx5 sounds like more of an upgrade to me. ordering one tomorrow.

723288.jpg

It was between the LX5 and S95 for me too, but I ordered the S95 simply because it's pretty much unmatched in it's controls and quality for a camera of it's size. Was really leaning toward the LX5, considering it's an overall better camera on paper, but the S95 was more of a match for me (and $100 cheaper).

Should be coming in tomorrow. I'll try getting some sample shots up.

got the camera today! i havent had much time to play with it but i did take a few test shots.

4954883604_531a1b8205_b.jpg

4954293891_37b81e0568_b.jpg

both of these photos received a little post production -- i only shoot full manual and raw so i dont really have any straight out of the camera test shots. im def enjoying it and looking forward to getting into filming some videos. my only complaints so far would be that the lcd screen quality isnt quite as crispy as the s90, and the photos are bit noisier in higher iso compared to the s90. the s90's menu's were a little more user friendly and faster. ill be traveling from fl to ny over the next week so ill have to do a more in depth comparison after shooting more photos with it.

My camera came in on Thursday but I haven't really had an opportunity to snap any pics except for the ones I posted in the WAYET thread: Here

Pics snapped in aperture priority and without editing aside from a resizing. Excuse the crappier first shot as it was my first night with the camera. Still trying out all the settings/functions.

10char: I'll try getting you that 720p vid sometime this week. Video controls are still limited - digital zoom instead of optical zoom when shooting. What's kinda cool is the ability to shoot a video in tilt shift with the marketed "miniature" mode.

good stuff Solix! would rep if i could

I wrote this lx5 vs s90 comparison for a different forum and thought some of you guys might be interested;

I'll start with my only complaints; the lcd screen quality isnt quite as crisp as the s90, and the s90's menu's were a little more user friendly and faster -- having 7 pages of options to scroll through gets annoying. I found that the "light meter" (when shooting manual) on the s90 was much more responsive than the lx5 and sometimes with the lx5 I will have to auto focus a few times before I can get it to activate. In manual mode I feel like the s90's quick menu has some better options -- being able to adjust the flash output being one of them (opposed to having to go through the 7 pages in the menu of the lx5). I also found that the s90 handles higher ISOs much better. With the s90 I would often shoot in high ISOs and get great results but with the lx5 I dont even like going higher than 400. I also think that the s90 had better white balance options. Its automatic white balance was usually very accurate and I find that I have trouble getting an accurate wb indoors with incandescent lighting with the lx5. My final gripe would be the function button; I think they could of offered more options for for that button -- perhaps multi exposure or flash output.

A few things that I really enjoy about the lx5: The options for different aspect ratios. The s90 only had 4:3 which I really don't like using -- I would much prefer 3:2 or 16:9 and having four different options is nice. The 24mm lens is a great upgrade being wider and I am getting muchhh less lens distortion than I was getting from my s90. All though it is a bit uncomfortable compared to the s90 -- I would still say this camera is pocketable. I've been carrying it in the front pocket of my shorts just about every day. Another thing I've been enjoying is the 720p video and having more manual options while recording. Also; having a dedicated video record button comes in handy quite often. I only shoot raw photos and use manual mode, so I dont really have anything to say about any of the auto/scene modes or how the JPEGS look.

Here are a few sample photos that I have taken with the lx5 so far:

This one was taken in fairly low light with no flash.. It was originally shot with a higher ISO but the red walls look terribly noisy so I lowered it down to 100;

4955645314_4501dd04b4_b.jpg

Macro shot -- should of used the tracking auto focus -- he wouldnt stay still;

4955053941_28f7335e25_b.jpg

This is my only sample shot using the flash.. Im not a big fan of artificial light;

4956208504_c646eb4e51_b.jpg

And this would be my last sample using the "multi exposure" mode;

4958386245_afbec29ea7_b.jpg

Overall, Im very happy with the lx5. All though there are a few things I miss about the s90, they don't outweigh the multiple format options and the 24mm lens.

was thinking about the sony NEX but the whole external flash thing kind of turned me off. seems too inconvenient to have to carry it around just incase i had a situation where i want to use the flash

yeah - i thought the missing flash was a PITA, but i actually haven't even had to use the flash. not really missed. come to think of it - even with the LX-2, i rarely popped up the flash.

not a fan of the sony NEX, my friend has one ... its cool but doesn't do it for me

agreed - i was unsure on the NEX, but no regrets since i picked it up.

just got a new lens for it - CV 35/1.4. should be fun to play around with.

NEX_CV3501.jpg