Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

^^ i'd opt for the sd870 over the sd1000. the 870 has a 3" screen, image stabilizer, and a wide angle lens. all very nice features.

i recently picked up the sd850 and might exchange it for the 870. the camera size is perfect and my pictures have all come out very clear, even in low light, but there are situations where i wish i had that wide angle.

i would steer clear of the G9 its not really pocketable and the images are no better than any of the powershot sd's, unless you really need RAW. i'd go with one of the higher end sd's they're great little cameras

I think it's worth getting the G9 just for the full manual control. As good as Canons Digic 3 processor is, it's still no where near as good a photographer with a good eye. I find that for lanscapes my S5 likes to completely over expose shots. Portrait mode with AF is pretty good. It picks values close to what I would choose.

• 2 weeks later...

I need a recommendation too..

$500 budget, non-SLR digicam, must have manual controls.

I need a recommendation too..

$500 budget, non-SLR digicam, must have manual controls.

I just took a look at the Canon G9.. Seems like that's the shit i need.

Any other runners up?

^ it seems like the Canon G9 and Ricoh GR are you best bets

ROBOKOPPED.

anyone have experience with the panasonic lumix's? has the leica lense and they are coming out with new models in a couple months. got good reviews on dpreviews also. I'm specifically looking at the TZ models.

i had one for about a year and it was really good, decent quality and sharp lens for such a tiny little camera, i think it was smaller than my cell phone. but something fucked up inside it and i haven't gotten it fixed yet

anyone have experience with the panasonic lumix's? has the leica lense and they are coming out with new models in a couple months. got good reviews on dpreviews also. I'm specifically looking at the TZ models.

i had a tz3 and ended up returning it. outdoors daylight pictures came out great, but anything indoors looked like it was shot through a black sock. plus there's no "real" macro setting, the lens doesn't adapt to a short field of focus. tough to explain, but in the end a canon 850/870is is the better option.

GRD for straight up quality (but it's zoom-less?)

but

Ricoh GX100 for that "neat factor" and DW6 19 mm attachement.

http://ricohforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=600

I find G9 too bulky, I mean you're always going to give up something. The G9 may have more features but the bulk came into question for me.

I got the G9.

I've had 11 digital cameras in my life, this is hands down the nicest one i've ever owned.