Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

Just bought an S90 and kinda on the fence about it. I generally use a G10 to shoot inside of a nightclub and jump between full auto and manual controls. With the G10, the wheel on the back jumps between aperture and shutter speed and I use the ISO wheel on the top. I found that with the S90, the manual settings were such that you can control two parameters at once (one with the ring and one with the wheel) and if you set one for say shutter speed and one for the aperture then you have to control ISO via pressing buttons in the menu. Am I missing something? Is there a way to have the wheel control both shutter speed and aperture like on the G10?

Also, when shooting in full auto in the club, the S90 kept on jumping into Macro mode (super frustrating) and a bunch of shots were super blurry. It may have been user error due to my first time using it out but generally speaking will the S90 be as good as my G10 is for this type of environment (once I figure out how to use it properly)?

Thanks in advance for the help.

db

Just bought an S90 and kinda on the fence about it. I generally use a G10 to shoot inside of a nightclub and jump between full auto and manual controls. With the G10, the wheel on the back jumps between aperture and shutter speed and I use the ISO wheel on the top. I found that with the S90, the manual settings were such that you can control two parameters at once (one with the ring and one with the wheel) and if you set one for say shutter speed and one for the aperture then you have to control ISO via pressing buttons in the menu. Am I missing something? Is there a way to have the wheel control both shutter speed and aperture like on the G10?

Thanks in advance for the help.

db

if you dont like controlling the ISO via pressing the menu button, you can set your shortcut button to ISO and then you can change the ISO by using the wheel. otherwise, i dont think you can make it so the wheel controls both aperture and shutter speed.

when people say they use socks, i imagine a worn white sock with holes or something.... even though im sure this is not the case. nopun

do socks work?

i mean it keeps it from getting scratches-- and may help in a small drop.. but its a sock.

its not a particularly nice sock or anything. it even adds bulk because the camera is much smaller than the sock.

its actually a worn black sock (washed of course) i had laying around. definitely not meant to be anything more than temporary.

i think a lot of people use socks to protect their lenses and what not in their DSLR kits.. but they usually put them in a nicer bag im assuming.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm looking for an everyday camera. I was set on buying the s90. But I found a lx3 on craigslist with two lenses + a bunch of other goodies. Also I'm a little concerned with buying either one of these cameras because they don't have a view finder. But I really don't want to go with g11 because it's just too large for what im looking for. Need some help pulling the trigger.

you can't change the lens on an LX-3

e: also that's my everyday/only camera what of it

+1, same here. i got a cheap asian tube, uv filter, cap, hood, joby and a invisible shield and that is pretty much all that is necessary for my day to day. maybe if i really wanted to get into the photo game, i'd have to upgrade to dslr, but i mostly use it for touristy/memories shite, not art or commercial purposes.

it takes as good pics as a dslr and has just as fast a lens but you don't feel like an idiot taking it around with you because it fits in your pocket. I'm waiting on an LC-2 lenscap int he mail, that's pretty much all I've got with it that isn't attached to the camera itself.

so my question is.... Canon s90 or Panasonic LX3? which would you buy?

From the thread the LX3 for sale comes with the following:

- 2 gig of memory card

- 2 lens, telephoto and wide angle

- 3 filters UV, FLUORESCENT and POLARIZER

- 2 lens adaptors for 52mm

- 1 NEW TTL AF DIGITAL FLASH

I would have to buy a memory card and what not for the s90, so the s90 will end up being a little more expensive.

so my question is.... Canon s90 or Panasonic LX3? which would you buy?

From the thread the LX3 for sale comes with the following:

- 2 gig of memory card

- 2 lens, telephoto and wide angle

- 3 filters UV, FLUORESCENT and POLARIZER

- 2 lens adaptors for 52mm

- 1 NEW TTL AF DIGITAL FLASH

I would have to buy a memory card and what not for the s90, so the s90 will end up being a little more expensive.

I hate the handling of the LX-3. Ergonomics/size of the S90 are much better in my opinion.

That rotating bezel around the barrel is pretty convenient.

I would say quality images between the two are negligible.

size = Canon S90

options (accessories) = LX-3

zoom = Canon S90

ergonomics/controls = preference