Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

another happy S90 buyer here, its a fantastic camera. as a DSLR user I tend to have high hopes for compacts and am often let down by them, but I'm really liking this one. good manual controls (particularly for Canon users), very good low light performance, nice design as well.

I was also looking at the Ricoh GR3, which is very similar in specs and probably equally good, but I decided to go with the S90 mainly due to the zoom, which I don't use often but is good to have if you want to shoot anything thats a bit further away (gigs etc)

The GRDIII has better optics (corner to corner sharpness is much better) but side from that not really worth it... for the most part.

Quality is probably better on the GRDIII as well but you mentioned, you need zoom and you got it with the S90.

If you want to pixel peep, grd3 definitely > s90 lenswise as Becks has already mentioned

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/2009/11/canon-s90-vs-ricoh-gr-digital-iii-lens.html

The grd3 is also much better at high ISOs than the grd2. i've seen some great shots from the grd3 at 1600. that aside, i'm not sure if it's worth the $200+ price difference over the s90

Maybe some of you who know your stuff can help me out (I don't know too much about cameras).

I have a G10 that I love, but the size is def a little too big for me.

Can you tell me what I'd lose by switching to the S90?

Check this link: http://dpinterface.com/camera-reviews/features-comparison-canon-powershot-g11-powershot-g10-powershot-s90/

Has what you're looking for... nothing notable in my books. Weird move by Canon.

tossing up between the s90 and panasonic fx60. I know the s90 is a better unit but its also bigger and more expensive. Im just going to be using it for kicking around town/at night when I havent got my dslr.

Would the s90 be overkill?

Alternative suggestions are more than welcome

I tinker a bit with my dslr yeah. I think im going to go with the s90. its more or less the same size as the p&s im using at the moment but heaps better.

still a bit torn though. If i just end up using it to take photos of trivial stuff then it might be a bit of a waste

to be honest, I don't think its that pricey if its about $400, I had to pay 400 euros for mine which is like $600.. :mad:

even if you use it mostly for randomness, you still get good quality images and have good controls, plus the possibility to go fully manual if necessary.

i am extremely happy with my d-lux 4. the specs are near my dslr canon rebel XSi (and the 720p recording is fun) and yes i know i paid extra for a little red dot, but i also pay extra for a little apple with a bite taken out of it as well and they both make me happy.

plus the ladies love it.