Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

im am looking for a point and shoot to replace my nikon d50 ... its just too annoying to carry that beast around .. what would you guys recommend to as close to dslr quality as i can find? im leaning towards the canon s90 as of now.

thanks!

S90 is out now.

I'm thinking of picking it up in addition to the LX3-- pocketability reasons-- is this redundant?

any sufu'ers get to use the s90 or throw some thoughts or opinions on this camera?

edit: only reason i want to know about the canon is because i can get a really good price on them.

Serious question:

Should I

- keep lx3 and get a m4/3

- keep and get a dslr

- sell and get a m4/3

Basically m4/3 is cool and all, but I can't live with sluggish AF or weak IS...also for the price I can get a entry level dslr.

I also realized lx3 is super portable and great for a pocket camera...need some zoom power tho.

So which?

...Should I

- keep lx3 and get a m4/3

- keep and get a dslr

- sell and get a m4/3...

I'd keep the lx3 and get a DSLR.

You can get a nice entry level DSLR for the price of the m4/3s that are out right now, and the lx3 is a fine pocket cam.

Plus that lens is so nice and you're not going to gain a ton of speed by moving up to m4/3.

My two cents!

any sufu'ers get to use the s90 or throw some thoughts or opinions on this camera?

edit: only reason i want to know about the canon is because i can get a really good price on them.

Handled it today and loved the transportability of this. Between this and the G11 there is no contest for me because the two take virtually identical pictures while the s90 is half the size/weight and costs like $70 less. Control ring is a really cool feature and feels nice and solid when you use it. I only wish the top and bottom was metal like the front and sides instead of plastic (although it still feels pretty quality). Also awkward is the corner flash which would pop up under where your finger would be holding the camera, and the fact that the shutter button is to the left of the control mode dial on the camera top. I'm used to my Nikon where the shutter is the outermost button so this took a bit of getting used to. Dunno if this is the common design on Cannon cameras.

The thing comes with a wrist strap as opposed to the neck strap on the lx3, which is a big indication on just how much more portable this camera is. Literally goes in any jacket pocket comfortably which is a huge deal for me because I've gotten to hate carrying a dslr.

My own s90 is getting delivered on Tuesday so I can't comment on intensive use/images but I think I'm gonna like it a lot.

Unfortunately, being it brand new and unopened I haven't and won't have a chance to road test it.

Dpreview.com threw up some sample pics of the X1, while not being blown away by it completely, the ISO1600 photos were midly impressive (so far appears to be better and more capable than Sigmas Foveon offering of the APS-C sensor when it comes to handling noise). Hence the sale of the GF1.

Ok thanks Im still super happy with my LX3 + D5000 setup...might get a m4/3 next year just to see what the hype is all about...probably 2nd hand ep1 or gf1.

I currently have a Leica D-Lux 4. Got a few questions for those that have it or have tried it:

1) Notice the completely slowwww auto focus while in Manual mode, but very very fast autofocus in Automatic mode?

2) Notice kinda odd seeming, or at least different looking, pixelation in low light situations then most other characters? It's like the pixels just look different then most other cameras, I don't know how to describe it - I'll like post some shots.

3) Is there anyway to rig the lense adapter to attach a lense to allow for tilt shift ?

Any and all input welcome - thanks.

Only skimmed the thread, but didn't see any mention of a very formidable competitor in this category: the Ricoh GR Digital III.

Quite possibly the best street ninja camera (as it is a fixed lens) that is still very pocketable. In fact it's nearly the same size as the S90:

grd3s90.jpg

It does have the same Sony sensor as the S90/G11, but with a slightly faster f/1.9 lens and some clever software. The performance is apparently slightly better for these reasons than the S90/G11. It is however almost $300 more than the S90. There are pro's and con's for both depending on specific applications.

I'm an S90 owner and pretty happy with it, but if money was less of an issue, I may very well have gone with the GRD III. The size is quite manageable, for both since they have nearly identical dimensionin), even with slim denim (I can fit it in the front pocket of my SExI08's).

If size was less important to me, I would have gone with a micro 4/3rds number, particularly the GF1 with the 20mm pancake.

That GF1 is sexy as hell. I would love to have a Leica, but the price point on those things is stupid high. I'll take a Panasonic and put a Leica lens on it any day. Haven't had a reason to replace my LX3 yet, though, so for now, I'm sticking with that. I wish these new offerings weren't so damn expensive.

That GF1 is sexy as hell. I would love to have a Leica, but the price point on those things is stupid high. I'll take a Panasonic and put a Leica lens on it any day. Haven't had a reason to replace my LX3 yet, though, so for now, I'm sticking with that. I wish these new offerings weren't so damn expensive.

Yeah, the GF-1 seems pretty awesome. I just wish it had a mechanical viewfinder of some kind. Manual focusing with the LCD seems kinda wonky to me.

Though, the GXR looks promising.

For me the pants-pocketable size was the decider in going the GRD3 over any of the micro 4/3 cameras.

I'm impressed by the way the S90 achieves the key GRD3 strengths (small form factor, fast lens, relatively big sensor) for less money, but now that the price difference is down to $200 between them, I think the sharper (but fixed) GR glass and 920k screen do a lot to recommend it.

I do like the expandability too, but I get the feeling once you add the 21mm wide lens and the flash, it kind of defeats the GR purpose...

3833545380_4100b2938d_m.jpg

3833563856_8799c5fece_m.jpg

Having been a Ricoh P&S user before, I find Canon S90 easier to use with its ergonomics. Fixed lens IS good but to be honest, I'm willing to sacrifice for versatility in zoom with the S90. For me personally, I want a jack of all trades camera with a P&S and reserve high-quality shooting for my DSLR.