Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
anymore news on this? or is ebay the only way to go?

edit: this is concerning the LX3 btw.

Nothing. :(

I placed an order with buy.com because I had a coupon...total came out to about $410 shipped...

Every once in a while a retailer will get them in, but charge like $550, which is outrageous.

Just saw one with a April 22 ETA, so I'm hoping mine will show up soon. :o

Nothing. :(

I placed an order with buy.com because I had a coupon...total came out to about $410 shipped...

Every once in a while a retailer will get them in, but charge like $550, which is outrageous.

Just saw one with a April 22 ETA, so I'm hoping mine will show up soon. :o

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Panasonic DMCLX3K. We apologize

for the delay in providing you with a reply to your inquiry and we hope

that this delay has not caused you any inconvenience.

We do not have any data on when the DMCLX3K will be available at retailers

in the USA. As you have noted the camera is backordered and we waiting

for the camera to be resupplied in the USA and at our on line store.

We do not have an ETA on the DMCLX3K in the USA.

Thank You,

Panasonic Consumer Support"

--from Feb.

at any rate, good luck man. i work at a university bookstore/computerstore so we can special order things from our distributors. everyone was out of stock except one had a "backorder" for 4/29--$449. (we were able to get wii's when they were "sold out" everywhere.)

i just went and bought one on ebay (used :o) so hopefully it turns out ok. thats a really good price from buy.com, how much was your coupon for?

edit: received my camera today :D

• 2 months later...
Anyone have the Leica D-lux 4?

Been thinking of picking that up since lx3 is pretty much outta the question

Is it really just a panasonic in a pretty(er) package?

They are very similar according to the guy I talked to at my camera shop. They have the same lens on them as Leica supplied them for the panasonic. The inside processors and sensors are different and I was told that the Panasonic ones are overall better. Also heard that Leica is slipping on the digital game, but just what I have heard never experienced.

me too. olympus is going to release another micro 4/3 camera with a built-in evf at the end of the year, but those are not particularly good in low light. the only reason they'd choose an evf is to accommodate zoom lenses, which are kinda big and slow. i just don't get it.

LX3 and D-Lux 4 are literally the exact same camera. They come with slightly different accessory packages, but not at all worth the difference. Get an LX3 from Ebay Hong Kong.

And damn, that Olympus is my new favourite digital camera. So much swag. Anyone know what the crop factor is? Surely they're not releasing it with a 17mm and a 14-42 in 35mm lengths?

hows the canon s3 is? i saw a couple on c.list for 2 bills canadian, worth it? or should i go for something else? (im looking for something in that pricerange)

Can't really say anything about the s3, but I've heard some really good things about the Canon G10 (However, it's a bit more expensive). Several of my "photography" friends use it as their point and shoot whenever they don't want to lug their DSLR around.

Here's one for sale on craigslist:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pho/1210348451.html

And damn, that Olympus is my new favourite digital camera. So much swag. Anyone know what the crop factor is? Surely they're not releasing it with a 17mm and a 14-42 in 35mm lengths?

I think that I read on DPreview that the 17mm is about equivalent to 45mm in the 35mm world, not 100% on that though.

Can't really say anything about the s3, but I've heard some really good things about the Canon G10 (However, it's a bit more expensive). Several of my "photography" friends use it as their point and shoot whenever they don't want to lug their DSLR around.

Here's one for sale on craigslist:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pho/1210348451.html

a lil outta my pricerange, but thanks

Need the E-P1 in my life.

Will cop when it is released here.

Will get pancake for daytime.

Want wider faster pancake for night time. 12MM F1.4 please.

Will probably get the 25MM F1.4 in lieu of said wide fast pancake.

for those of you that have the LX3: to make up for the weak sauce zoom, did anyone pick up a teleconverter lens?

my cursory research suggests the olympus TC.. i already purchased a 53mm adapter tube to throw on a UV filter so i dont have to carry around a lens cap all the time.

i just got the d-lux4 because i couldnt find the lx3 anywhere, and i had a ton of amazon bux. i love it. there are some difference apparantly, i wanna say it is the sensor, but can't remember correctly.