Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

• 4 weeks later...

Best non-slr digital?

Leica M8, no doubt.

But since this thread seems to be focusing on fixed lens compacts under a grand, Ricoh GRD/GRDII and GX100/200 are good, also Panasonic LX2/3 (Leica Dlux 3/4 if you need the red dot). Ive never tried the Canon Gs but ive heard good things about them from reputable people. Also many speak highly of the vintage Olympus Cx0x0 series.

In terms of operational interface nothing can touch the Ricohs in this category. People hate on them because theyre 'noisy'. Bollocks. Anything with this many megapixels stuffed onto a sensor this tiny will be noisy. Ricoh lets you decide how to process the noise, unlike the rest with their default noise reduction. Not cameras for lazy people who dont want to process their pics. The Panasonics are good if you can shoot RAW all the time but JPEG generally sucks off base line. The RAW processing is quick though as is the general operability of the cameras. The joystick interface is easy to get used to but you need to use the LCD. Ricoh GRD + LCD off + external viewfinder = pimpness.

Sigma DP1/2 look good at low ISO but Foveon still isnt ready for prime time when it comes to high ISO in terms of color fidelity/random hard to remove color blotches. Would be a good choice if you do daylight pics and/or need to have somewhat of a control over depth of field but the images fall apart under artificial/mixed light at higher ISO. Sad, because with improved response times and image constancy this could be a giant killer.

mostly for architecture and product photography. you can use movements with any focal length, instead of the three t/s lenses available for 35mm, and the lenses have wider coverage to use more extreme movements. non-retrofocus lenses are also much smaller.

you can put a mfdb on a film alpa. the wood grips are pretty. :)

I think that in all fairness for the Ricoh GX200/GRDII is that the noise is fairly consistent.

Do you plan to shoot in RAW (GX200 has a 5 shot buffer which is good). I have a GX100 and have yet to really see what I can do in RAW because it takes a good 15 seconds between shots so I've never really used it. Maybe do some research regarding how Ricoh RAW files handle noise reduction post-processing.

this is pretty much my conclusion too

Of course it's not perfect; the controls are pretty fiddly (as it's so small) and there's no telephoto to speak of, but if you want telephoto you're not going to be considering this camera. If you want more SLR like controls and a longer zoom - and don't mind the bulk - go for the Canon G10. Me personally? By that point I'm using an SLR. For a carry anywhere 'walk around' camera I'd go for the LX3 every time

i played around some more with a G10 recently and what they did with the manual controls is really amazing for a portable. i love it has dials for iso and exposure as well as a wheel to set shutter/aperture, plus a four-way controller for menu-based features. honestly thats more intuitive than most dSLRs.

really the LX3 and G10 are different beasts and i like both a lot.

In terms of operational interface nothing can touch the Ricohs in this category. People hate on them because theyre 'noisy'. Bollocks. Anything with this many megapixels stuffed onto a sensor this tiny will be noisy.

stopped reading there.

lots of noise = waste of time/money.

enjoy your megashit pixels of varying shades of MURKY POO.

I currently have an S5 IS and a 400D.

Neither is compact. I'm sick of lugging them around.

I'm replacing the S5 IS with a LX3 and a flash.

As you can see, the LX3 shits all over the GX200 and G10 in high ISO performance.

I need to take full body portraits in cramped dark spaces.

The LX3 packs 24mm F2.0 at the wide end whilst the G10 sits at 35mm and is almost a full stop slower.

stopped reading there.

most compacts have noise cancellation techniques that reduce noise at the cost of losing details because they become blurry. if you dont want to post process, i agree, but if you post process your photos, less noise cancellation can be a good thing because you can achieve the same or better with noise ninja.

that being said im too lazy to post process nine times out of ten so the ricohs arent for me.

stopped reading there.

Waste of time/money? For professionals, a camera with a slow operational interface is much more a potential waste of time and money.

For an amateur I could see a noisy camera being perceived as a waste of time... but money?

I sold my Ricoh GRD a while ago but in this (small sensor, fixed lens digital) category, with full manual controls, its the best photographers camera on the market.

To handle the noise you automate different image processing profiles for different shooting situations. Spend a few minutes setting them up and its easy sailin from there on with the obligatory shot-specific tweaks.

Maybe you dont want to have a choice on the level of noise (read: detail) reduction but some would rather control this based on the conditions of the shot.

There is no magical camera that will automatically compute perfect results for every picture. You need to take the picture properly and figure out processing techniques if you want consistent (technical) image quality, especially from a small sensor digital camera.

With the Ricoh being a P&S, albeit an advanced one, isn't it a bit false if it's Point and Shoot and Process?

I'm all for getting things perfect if you want that one perfect shot, but if you need bulk rolls to be quality, it's not the right pick I think.

It'd be essentially like manually making a print from every frame of film shot, instead of having good negatives to look at later IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...