jeepster

Thrift and the Art of Thrifting

so - there's a thrift thread for jeans, but there isn't a general thrift thread. let's see your thrifted goodies and discuss the fine art of finding those little things that make our heart swell with pride when we find them under 14 carhartt jackets or behind broken stereo equipment. post pics for posterity and bragging rights.

nothing special, but I thought i might contribute to this thread as a lot of my stuff is found thrifting...

brouguesdr3.jpg

$6.00 CAD for these brogues, which were a perfect fit and exactly the kind of shoe i was looking for.

In respects to thrifting tips- i find alot more wearable items if i pick one store and comb an entire section, as opposed to a cursory search through a couple shops.

1bcb1yi1.jpg

$30, which is about max I'd pay for anything in a thrift store.

These shoes are BUTTERY, and with so much character to boot (no pun intended)! Best thing is, their previous owner kept them in such good shape that I don't think they even need any touch ups.

I always seem to find clothing that's either too big or too small for me.

haha word, but if its cool i always buy it anyways because its so cheap

probably my best find was a pair of johnston & murphy monk straps for like, 7 bucks. i've got a bunch of other random gear but nothing too outrageous

these boots, estate sale:

967593359_8fe06a1123.jpg

cut down to these:

2223379496_55e996b9a6.jpg

these shoes:

539216191_003142425d.jpg

375115538_e0d0b39640.jpg

216964331_e1f20d69cd.jpg

392101509_c3bb087775.jpg

nothing in a while, though. sigh.

wow all of those shoes look great....closer pics of the boots post-cut?

the brown wholecuts look great too

wow all of those shoes look great....closer pics of the boots post-cut?

the brown wholecuts look great too

thanks. i'll try and get some closer pics at some point. the brown wholecuts may be my favorite everyday shoe i've ever had.

^^those boots are great. shoes and boots is the one thing i NEVER find... I think my size is too rare.

Otherwise, not much art to thrifting, just be patient, go there often and learn, through experience to spot quality and nice fabrics. I usually just feel my way through racks of pants or shirts, looking for the stuff I like. No need looking at everything that way.

nice stuff but isn't there something a little ooky about wearing pre-owned shoes barefoot? though if it is standard practice i have some sandals i need to get rid of... supermarket here we come

i've donated a lot of designer rtw to the sally army & always wondered where it all ended up.

good thread

more should share

here are a few things I have found

cool scarf, shoes (ferragamo), t-shirt

P1010574.jpg

P1010572.jpg

P1010570.jpg

today i also found a pretty good pair of pants by Jil Sander, which fit me surprisingly well. $12

DSC09800.jpg

$17.00

(Will change to post-oil pics as soon as I find some batteries)

Picture6.jpg

$7.00

Killer loafer finds, guys.

'Specially Polio.. Wowza.

Thrifting is great if you have the time, but when spend several hours on it and turn up dry, it's like you could've worked for that period and made the money to buy a piece you actually wanted. Although, when I lived in a city that was less up on shit, and I was in high school so I had more time than anything else, I only thrifted, and got as many compliments on my outfits as I do today.

my most proud thrift purchase was my winter parka was 6 bucks.

1020488je2.jpg

ive got a couple button up shirts lately that were pristine and got them tailored for a perfect fit. 3 dollars for the shirt and 20 for the tailoring makes for a cheep perfectly fitting shirt. ive also got some johnston and murphy's and always see allen edmonds ect. thier was a thift store finds thread with only 4 pages fyi.i think i have a couple other things in that thread.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=6987&highlight=thrift

your boots are in desperate need of polish, among other things.

It's the look.

aw man i dont know of any thrift stores around my area (ucla/the valley) besides buffalo exchange, which kinda sucks

This guy picked up a Carpe Diem trench coat for $25 at Beacon's Closet in Williamsburg....

... then sold it to Ina Men. f'king hell.

ive got a couple button up shirts lately that were pristine and got them tailored for a perfect fit. 3 dollars for the shirt and 20 for the tailoring makes for a cheep perfectly fitting shirt.

i always do this, but i tailor the shirts myself. i pay like 3$ for a button up shirt at the thrift, tailor them at home, and sell them to other thrift stores like buffalo exchange & make like 8$ profit a shirt. the work of tailoring the shirts takes less than 25 minutes.

i always do this, but i tailor the shirts myself. i pay like 3$ for a button up shirt at the thrift, tailor them at home, and sell them to other thrift stores like buffalo exchange & make like 8$ profit a shirt. the work of tailoring the shirts takes less than 25 minutes.

ahh a thrift store reseller aye?

aw man i dont know of any thrift stores around my area (ucla/the valley) besides buffalo exchange, which kinda sucks

im in your exact position. sucks.

y do they pay you more for the same style/brand shirt just because it is tailored.......? lol

y do they pay you more for the same style/brand shirt just because it is tailored.......? lol

because, when it comes to selling crap to another thrift store, they want items that they can sell & are "vintage". usually, all the button ups with a nice pattern at a normal thrift, are like XL & fit like crap cus theyre all used alot & are crappy quality. When you size it down to a better fit, or a small or medium, theyll take it because they know it would be easier to sell.

If you really have trouble understanding that you need to get out of this forum.