Thrift and the Art of Thrifting

jeepster

so - there's a thrift thread for jeans, but there isn't a general thrift thread. let's see your thrifted goodies and discuss the fine art of finding those little things that make our heart swell with pride when we find them under 14 carhartt jackets or behind broken stereo equipment. post pics for posterity and bragging rights.

nothing special, but I thought i might contribute to this thread as a lot of my stuff is found thrifting...

brouguesdr3.jpg

$6.00 CAD for these brogues, which were a perfect fit and exactly the kind of shoe i was looking for.

In respects to thrifting tips- i find alot more wearable items if i pick one store and comb an entire section, as opposed to a cursory search through a couple shops.

I always seem to find clothing that's either too big or too small for me.

haha word, but if its cool i always buy it anyways because its so cheap

probably my best find was a pair of johnston & murphy monk straps for like, 7 bucks. i've got a bunch of other random gear but nothing too outrageous

^^those boots are great. shoes and boots is the one thing i NEVER find... I think my size is too rare.

Otherwise, not much art to thrifting, just be patient, go there often and learn, through experience to spot quality and nice fabrics. I usually just feel my way through racks of pants or shirts, looking for the stuff I like. No need looking at everything that way.

my most proud thrift purchase was my winter parka was 6 bucks.

1020488je2.jpg

ive got a couple button up shirts lately that were pristine and got them tailored for a perfect fit. 3 dollars for the shirt and 20 for the tailoring makes for a cheep perfectly fitting shirt. ive also got some johnston and murphy's and always see allen edmonds ect. thier was a thift store finds thread with only 4 pages fyi.i think i have a couple other things in that thread.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=6987&highlight=thrift

ive got a couple button up shirts lately that were pristine and got them tailored for a perfect fit. 3 dollars for the shirt and 20 for the tailoring makes for a cheep perfectly fitting shirt.

i always do this, but i tailor the shirts myself. i pay like 3$ for a button up shirt at the thrift, tailor them at home, and sell them to other thrift stores like buffalo exchange & make like 8$ profit a shirt. the work of tailoring the shirts takes less than 25 minutes.

i always do this, but i tailor the shirts myself. i pay like 3$ for a button up shirt at the thrift, tailor them at home, and sell them to other thrift stores like buffalo exchange & make like 8$ profit a shirt. the work of tailoring the shirts takes less than 25 minutes.

ahh a thrift store reseller aye?

aw man i dont know of any thrift stores around my area (ucla/the valley) besides buffalo exchange, which kinda sucks

im in your exact position. sucks.

y do they pay you more for the same style/brand shirt just because it is tailored.......? lol

y do they pay you more for the same style/brand shirt just because it is tailored.......? lol

because, when it comes to selling crap to another thrift store, they want items that they can sell & are "vintage". usually, all the button ups with a nice pattern at a normal thrift, are like XL & fit like crap cus theyre all used alot & are crappy quality. When you size it down to a better fit, or a small or medium, theyll take it because they know it would be easier to sell.