Thrift and the Art of Thrifting

jeepster

thrift stores in socal?

I don't know about the Irvine area, but hit up Pomona's Antique Row. It crosses Garey avenue I believe. And there's always Hollywood. You can't beat the selection there but the prices can get stupid for used clothing.

There was a slew of vintage stores I found around Riverside/Perris way, but I don't remember where they are. I got a crushable felt fedora from Borsa-fucking-lino for $20.

Yes and no. Housing Works definitely gets in a lot of quality items (at least the one in Tribeca), but they jack up their prices. I'm not paying $40-$50 for a thrifted dress shirt, I don't care if it is Isaia or Brioni. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

Best thrift finds: 3 cashmere/wool Hickey Freeman Sportcoats, 2 Brioni Ties, a vintage oxford cloth Levi's western shirt, and a pair of Bostonian Longwings. I know Bostonian isn't a great shoemaker, but I found a brand new pair of them for $18. Couldn't pass it up.

I've actually only been there a few times, but i got some Steven Alan shorts for like 5$ so I thought it was awesome. There are a lot of awful thrift shops in NYC though

Alas, I have no camera to show the items in action...

That said, I'm pretty proud of the finds I've cop'd in the past year.

Caulfield Preparatory Shawl:

CAUL-MO5_V1.jpg

Picked this up a month after it was released for $30. I've received more compliments on this sweater than anything else that I own.

Mister Freedom Dungarees:

mf_dungarees_01_web.jpg

Picked these up yesterday morning for $50, tags still attached. I'm really not sure how this item showed up at the thrift, with tags, but the details check out with selvedge on the waistband and markings. Soaked earlier today and still wearing the hell out of them, the fit is fantastic.

I was also able to pick up a pair of April 77 CrossWar in raw 29's a couple months back for $30. They're pitch-black and gonna stay that way, but they fit amazingly. Pretty useful for going to concerts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

now I know where to post...

I've sold a few decent jeans and jackets to folks in Superdenim, and found all sorts of cool stuff.

My best find so far was deadstock early 80s 501's, and then a beat to shit pair of RW pecos'.

I've found a ton of cameras as well, bought a Canon AE-1 for 10$.

My best advice, look through EVERYTHING. I go through every single t-shirt, every pair of jeans, and every jacket. I don't look at the shirt it self, just the labels. It's the easiest way to recognize vintage t-shirts. I do the same w/ jeans just look at the rivets on the hip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
now I know where to post...

My best advice, look through EVERYTHING. I go through every single t-shirt, every pair of jeans, and every jacket. I don't look at the shirt it self, just the labels. It's the easiest way to recognize vintage t-shirts. I do the same w/ jeans just look at the rivets on the hip.

If you're looking for vintage t-shirts, you can pick them out by the stitching on the sleeves. A few companies have been replicating this lately, so you get a few false positives, but it's way faster than pulling every single shirt out of the rack.

• 6 months later...

love thrift shopping, great place to take a chick on a date and sometimes you just run into some nice shit. i never been into leather but found this beat up horsehide perfecto style jacket i couldn't pass up. bit expensive at first but i got the owner to come down to a reasonable 100 bucks.

6968815141_06ea9db47d_z.jpg

Edited by pig

• 4 months later...
Guest INDIGO QUEEN

Today I bright a Wedgewood Peter Rabbit plate for my mum from our local antique store but I haven't found how to thrift clothes yet.

I set a budget and spend double!

Guest INDIGO QUEEN

love thrift shopping, great place to take a chick on a date and sometimes you just run into some nice shit. i never been into leather but found this beat up horsehide perfecto style jacket i couldn't pass up. bit expensive at first but i got the owner to come down to a reasonable 100 bucks.

6968815141_06ea9db47d_z.jpg

$100 for that gorgeous biker???

I think I need to take lessons from you as my biker is way more than that.

You did well!,