Thrift and the Art of Thrifting

jeepster

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

There are maybe two for vintage, but nothing for thrift. Have to find spots in New Hampshire.

Boomerangs in Somerville has a little, and it is all sorts of whacky so it is worth a visit. There is also Bobby from Boston, which I have never been to, in the S. End. It sells vintage E. Coast, prep, work wear, bowling, etc. I might visit tomorrow myself.

• 2 weeks later...

outside of immediate boston area are the Savers stores in the trashy burbs and in rhode island. the seekonk savers is massive but the north providence savers has the best stuff.

when i was at RISD for undergrad i used to go with my gf to savers every sunday and buy entire months worth of clothing for $10-15, so many great items. 90% of RISD is/was clothed in their stuff, part of the education in that school.

thrift stores here in small town BC are wild.

Lots of blue collar workers/tradesmen so there is always plenty of nice workwear type shit, and none of it ever gets picked over because there is nobody who lives here who buys the shit.

Thinking of starting a vintage clothing store/thread in the market, always coming across dope shit that is too big for me.

• 2 months later...

best deal ive ever gotten at a thrift?

dscf5411d.jpg

h. huntsman and sons for barneys NY suit. paid under 10$

pretty sure those shoes were 15 too... vintage shell cordovan

dscf5392x.jpg

jacket was 50$.

fuck... i cant even think about how much ive gotten at thrift stores... all of my jackets, all of my non sneaker shoes besides my red wings, tons of vintage denim, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

the art of thrifting involves looking at everything on all of the racks. that's how you find the gems, cause niggas like me stash hot shit when i can't get it right then, and when i get a lil more $$$ i come back to the stash. so if you catch me, it's fair game.

Saalami is spot on about taking the time to go through all the racks.

New Hampshire is a great place to thrift for vintage parkas and jackets, but less so now because they're becoming more popular. Also lots of cool vintage LL bean, Woolrich, and Timberland stuff. You aren't going to find a lot of high end stuff though. I dont think anything can beat Housing Works for designer/high end goods.

• 2 weeks later...
Saalami is spot on about taking the time to go through all the racks.

New Hampshire is a great place to thrift for vintage parkas and jackets, but less so now because they're becoming more popular. Also lots of cool vintage LL bean, Woolrich, and Timberland stuff. You aren't going to find a lot of high end stuff though. I dont think anything can beat Housing Works for designer/high end goods.

Yes and no. Housing Works definitely gets in a lot of quality items (at least the one in Tribeca), but they jack up their prices. I'm not paying $40-$50 for a thrifted dress shirt, I don't care if it is Isaia or Brioni. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

Best thrift finds: 3 cashmere/wool Hickey Freeman Sportcoats, 2 Brioni Ties, a vintage oxford cloth Levi's western shirt, and a pair of Bostonian Longwings. I know Bostonian isn't a great shoemaker, but I found a brand new pair of them for $18. Couldn't pass it up.

anyone want to help me out with figuring out what these are?

dscf5768.jpg

top button looks almost exactly the same as the one on my 33 lvcs

dscf5769.jpg

90s style arcs with circle r on the tab

dscf5771.jpg

made in usa... strange wash instructions

dscf5772w.jpg

dscf5773.jpg

copper rivets, 90s style

dscf5776.jpg

redline selvage

dscf5777f.jpg

single stitch hem

dscf5778.jpg

no patch

dscf5779f.jpg

and fit. they are 2" oversized.

dscf5766g.jpg

my latest thrift find... paid 3$

I can't believe all these bombers. The closest I've found was an old LL Bean jacket. It fits alright, but the sleeves are a tad short and it's rather baggy in the body. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

To Cheap: Damn, dude. Those look amazing. Were you able to find out what model/year they are?

im thinking late 90s to early 00s, but thats it.

it was funny too, cause i was with my daughter looking thru racks of washed out jeans, and she asked why i didnt like jeans i was looking at, and she picked out some girbauds cause "they have writing on them"... i told her i only liked dark jeans, no clothes with writing on them, and i was very picky. less than 30 seconds later i found those.

I thrift a lot, I don't know why I don't post here more...

anyway I thrifted this RL flannel for 4 bucks yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it (spot a woolrich I found for my dad for 5 bucks on the chair)

p1010407.png

It's red, white, blue but primarily khaki and real light weight... early 90's.

im thinking late 90s to early 00s, but thats it.

it was funny too, cause i was with my daughter looking thru racks of washed out jeans, and she asked why i didnt like jeans i was looking at, and she picked out some girbauds cause "they have writing on them"... i told her i only liked dark jeans, no clothes with writing on them, and i was very picky. less than 30 seconds later i found those.

Good to know that the art of thrifting will be passed along to the next generation.

To be honest, I usually skip the denim aisle. Did you wash the jeans, or at least give them a soak?

I thrift a lot, I don't know why I don't post here more...

anyway I thrifted this RL flannel for 4 bucks yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it (spot a woolrich I found for my dad for 5 bucks on the chair)

It's red, white, blue but primarily khaki and real light weight... early 90's.

Sick flannel. I find that vintage RL stuff fits huuuuge. Did you size down?

NEVER SKIP THE DENIM ISLE!!!! ive found some nice jeans at thrift stores, these are just the latest. i even found some half selvage lees at a thrift store... vintage not repro... 40s or 50s selvage denim overalls... vintage selvage denim jackets... and all under 10$