A Music Thread

john11f

I'm in to drum and bass. We got our own local DJ Sniper,... I like Peshay, Dillinja, alotta white labels, DJ Marky, ED Rush & Optical etc etc...

I also like deep house, chillout music from Caia, The Rurals, Almost everything from Guidance Recordings, DJ Garth, Terry Brown Junior,..

Techno : Autechre, Adam Beyer, Joel Mull, Hardcell, Almost everything from Kanzleramt Records especially Diego, Heiko Laux,...

Man alotta music from the 80s : Depeche Mode, Softcell, Pet Shop Boys, New Order, Gazebo, Modern Talking....

Japanese Music : L'arc en Ciel, Janne Da Arc, Baroque, Plastic Tree, Chemistry, Exile, M-Flo

Too many to list!!!!

Denimhead, lightning bolt does kick ass. they used to tour with Arab on Radar, and while the opening bands were playing their set, they'd set up their gear behind the crowd, and the second the first band got off the stage they just explode into their set.

As for Radiohead, I still play the Bends (my pick of theirs) at least once or twice a week.

As of this year, my favorite release is Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

lightning bolt is amazing, while i haven't had a chance to see them live their DVD does them quite a bit of justice.

RE: clap you hands

oh man, i dont know... IMO it sounds way to much like the Arcade Fire which weren't any good to begin with. And I if i hear one more David Byrne rip-off singer. To their credit the instrumentation is nice. Each time I listen to a song I'll think "ok this sounds pretty cool, yeah this is alright" ... "oops that guitar thing is kinda lame" ... "ooh god that guy started singing again". his voice is sooo annoying and forced sounding, and I like most annoying voiced singers. and as easily as one could say the whole sound is pretty original, you could say it isnt original at all

i dont know... what do you like about them?

www.taborrobak.com

Quote:

anyone in here down with phoenix, my latest indevour

--- Original message by Corbin Law on Sep 13, 2005 03:27 PM

I've heard some songs from them, I think they're cool. I'm listening to some Euro bands right now.

Boris' new album (Mabuta no Ura) was really disappointing, IMO. Unfortunately I own it on CD and vinyl; hopefully I can eBay them later and recoup my expenses. Interesting tidbit: I read in a recent Boris interview that when their album covers say "boris," it's quiet and ambient (like Mabuta, or Flood). When they say BORIS, they're noisy and rock-the-fuck-out (like Akuma no Uta, Feedbacker, etc.)

Seeing Lighting Bolt live is essential. Even if you hate that kind of music you might still benefit from the damaged, performance art aspect of what they do. When they perform in spaces other than a stage, and the crowd is right there beside them, like an extension of the band, the exchange of energy is an incredible thing to witness. It's communal. Tribal. Religioous.

Quote: oh man, i dont know... IMO it sounds way to much like the Arcade Fire which weren't any good to begin with. And I if i hear one more David Byrne rip-off singer. To their credit the instrumentation is nice. Each time I listen to a song I'll think "ok this sounds pretty cool, yeah this is alright" ... "oops that guitar thing is kinda lame" ... "ooh god that guy started singing again". his voice is sooo annoying and forced sounding, and I like most annoying voiced singers. and as easily as one could say the whole sound is pretty original, you could say it isnt original at all

i dont know... what do you like about them?

Well, I am a huge fan of Indie rock, and Clap Your Hands is one of the best genuine indie rock albums I've heard since Pavement. It's untouched, self-produced and full of energy and honesty. As for his voice: I love it. He's not a David Byrne rip off at all; to be honest I don't even think he sounds like David Byrne, I dont know why all the bloggers and Village Voice are obsessed with this comparison. It's like Interpol = Joy Division part II. Alec Ounsworth said that he doesn't even listen to Talking Heads. I personally think he's much closer to Bob Dylan. Their music is simple and seems content and confident to be that way. It's kind of either "you get it, or you don't," and all of the people who I know that really love it are those who have been listening unashamedly to indie rock for years (remember when Fugazi was "emo?"). In the world where either it's super glossy and pretty and gets on the OC or super lo-fi and experimental, their album really shines. Seems sort of like a savior album.

As for the Arcade Fire, I think they have an amazing album (albeit overhyped), although I do think Win Butler does tread pretty close to David Byrne-land. Their song composition is awesome.

Underground Hip hop is where its at. I understand when people say rap suck because it does......mainstream rap that is.

As for electronica, never really like it until I got into dj shadow, then I checked it out and it was pretty sweet.

Dj shadow, thievery corporation, digable planets, daft punk, massive attack, etc.